E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
bighitbiker3

My Ride: Nothing as of yet.
My god...that S54 wagon is the perfect car. Gimme
Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitbiker3 View Post
My god...that S54 wagon is the perfect car. Gimme
My thoughts also!
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Just haggle the price. When my A4 was totaled they told me a price I wasn't very happy with. I haggled up a bit, then faxed them receipts of my recent clutch replacement and other various repairs, and ended up with roughly $1,500 less than I had bought it for, so it turned out okay since it was older and double the mileage at that point.

I still miss that car to this day, and find myself weekly looking for them online. But the fact is I loved my own personal A4 and I miss mine and can't imagine a replacement will be the same to me.

Just the memories, fun times, bad times and what I learned from the car are what made it what it was.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Indeed. Take the money and run. Hell, you never know what is going to spring up. Before the summer is over you might be rolling in an M3 or 330i ZHP.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
Wasn't the S54 swapped wagon for sale before on Fanatics, maybe a year and half ago? Price has bumped up a bit since then. Still has the tamper dot on the odometer, but it looks like the 323i emblem has been removed from the tailgate. I thought it was pretty funny the PO/swapper left that on.

Didn't meet reserve, but there was an interesting eBay E39 540iT w/6-speed swap & SC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
zander271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaundiced Outlook View Post
Wasn't the S54 swapped wagon for sale before on Fanatics, maybe a year and half ago? Price has bumped up a bit since then. Still has the tamper dot on the odometer, but it looks like the 323i emblem has been removed from the tailgate. I thought it was pretty funny the PO/swapper left that on.

Didn't meet reserve, but there was an interesting eBay E39 540iT w/6-speed swap & SC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
I didn't notice the tamper dot.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Good luck arguing for a "rarity premium". Manual transmission generally drops the value of a vehicle, not increases it. But good luck.

Search cars.com for local vehicles with similar year/miles. If the value offered isn't enough for you (be realistic about the value of your car), offer those local examples to try to adjust the value.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Last week I would have thought the M3 sleeper wagon was the coolest thing on wheels. Today it just kinda makes me mad. I need one half the price with half as many miles and a plain old inline six.

Sweetness: I've got two pretty big kids and a dog, so I can't get anything smaller than a 3 series wagon. Far more likely than an M3 is the daily choice between my wife's 12-year old Mazda minivan and the second-hand Toyota Yaris we'll buy with the settlement.

Or maybe I'll just take the bus.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #29
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I also saw that 325 wagon that was listed for $53,000 but I went to the dealers website... it had no sport package and was an Automatic. Here is one that sounds pretty close to what you had, but it's the AWD model:

Wagon
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #30
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Good chance to get a 540i wagon

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
A quick online search on manual e46s in Ontario came up with 236 results, only 2 were wagons.

This puts it at about 1 in 100. Rare indeed.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #32
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Get yours back from insurance company and remove drivetrain/pedals/sport package/etc, swap into broken down automatic.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
B-Dawg

My Ride: 2010 Cayenne
I know it sucks, but move on. Get the absolute most from the insurance company using kbb, edmunds, market compatibles , etc. The car is worth more to you than the market, and I'm sure that's part of why you are so frustrated. But for christ's sake don't take the proceeds to by a Yaris! What?! Surely you could find something better in the short term until you find an E39(or is it 38?) 540i wagon

2010 Cayenne
2001 330i 5mt sedan (sold)
2008 135i 6mt coupe (sold)
2004 330i zhp sedan (sold)
2004 325i 5mt sedan (sold)
B-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
avincent52

All: The insurance company is offering me $12K plus tax for the car, which strikes me as low.
What's the most effective way to make my case here.

Ryannell: Good find. That SF car is a dead ringer for mine. Might be worth exploring although it is a whole continent away.
B-Dawg: I'm looking for an E46 wagon with a manual trans and the sports package. Okay, you talked me out of the Yaris. It'll be a Corolla, I guess.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
zander271

avincent52

I would be willing to take at the 325 for you. I'm flying down to San Francisco on Friday to pick up my car. I know these car's pretty well now and could report back. Let me know if that is something you would want.

Last edited by zander271; 07-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Good luck arguing for a "rarity premium". Manual transmission generally drops the value of a vehicle, not increases it.
This. The books consider how the general public values a vehicle, not an enthusiast. And, of course, insurance is intended to replace the value of the vehicle, not the vehicle.

That said, if you have pics, service records, receipts--any documentation at all--it will help. Don't accept the first offer.

Last month, my neighbor's son was sitting at a stop sign in his Neon SRT when he was rear-ended. The car was quick enough, but it didn't have a single properly aligned seam, more bondo than steel, and a paint job that only a first year high school shop student could love. It was totalled. Didn't get much for the vehicle, but he'd gotten new tires just 2 months earlier and had the paperwork. The adjustor gave him 100% credit for it.

GL finding your replacement. They are out there. But when you *need* it immediately, your timing needs to be extraordinary. I was able to find a low miles, RWD, 5-speed, Touring with sport package. It was in superb shape. As a bonus, it came without a glass roof. But we could have had another child in the time it took...
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #37
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
All: The insurance company is offering me $12K plus tax for the car, which strikes me as low.
What's the most effective way to make my case here.

Ryannell: Good find. That SF car is a dead ringer for mine. Might be worth exploring although it is a whole continent away.
B-Dawg: I'm looking for an E46 wagon with a manual trans and the sports package. Okay, you talked me out of the Yaris. It'll be a Corolla, I guess.
I think you said its an 05 325, right? Take the money and run on that.

Look at my previous post if you want to try to argue the value
Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #38
zander271

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I think you said its an 05 325, right? Take the money and run on that.

Look at my previous post if you want to try to argue the value
avincent52 Nova is right. Trust me

If it was not your fault, which in my case is the case. Keep track of all of the expensense you incur because of the accident.

The other insurance company "Kemper" is being a total douche and is calling the police officers report bogus. So right now I'm out my deducable, flights, gas, hotel, PPI's(I checked out lots of cars in my area and outside of it), day off work etc. So far the costs are $1,719.51 and that does not include my gas on the way back home from San Francisco. While when this is all said and done will have cost me just under 2 grand.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
avincent52

Zander: That's a very kind offer and I may well take you up on it.
That one's a dead ringer down to the color, and if I can get my insurance company up a little and the seller down a little, this might be workable.

And I'm really sorry for your own troubles. NJ is a no-fault state so it's a little easier from that point of view.

Nova: Thanks for weighing in. I'm not suggesting that the company's valuation is totally out of line, just that it's somewhat low and that their evaluation of the comps seems somewhat off (ie. Almost all the comps are sedans, but they're not taking into account that the wagon is a higher valued car. They also seem to miss the fact that some of the comps were missing options that are obvious from the pics, like sports package and the HK.)

Last edited by avincent52; 07-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
agillzz

My Ride: 325ci
I totaled a gs430 not too long ago, the only reason I picked up an e46. My life ended when I lost my first baby, I still have the license plate. But all that means is that you move onto something bigger and better, for me an e46. For you, hopefully that blue swaggar wagon s54 sleeper. Also for my own input, a 325 or even a 540 maybe wouldn't be bad. And you might be able to find some pretty good ones at that price

Last edited by agillzz; 07-11-2012 at 06:04 PM.
agillzz is offline   Reply With Quote