E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Continuing the trend for the week, the dead ringer 325iT that Ryanell found for me (thanks again) has disappeared from its autotrader lisitings.
I bookmarked it but didn't think to copy the page.
Any suggestions about how to find cached Autotrader listings?
If it's sold, I can use it as a comp.
If the seller pulled it for, oh, lack of interest, it's still a possibility.
TIA. You guys are great.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Click here

I also second the idea of considering a 5 series wagon.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #43
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Ah damn that car is no longer listed Well it sounded like a dead ringer for your 325! Hopefully there is something out there that you can find with everything you want.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #44
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
I feel your pain OP. Ironically when we decided to get our wagon, my wife wanted all the available options including nav like we had in our previous 3 series sedan.

Eventually we had to settle on the sport and premium package and HK. No nav or cold weather package. We ended up flying to SC and driving her back.

Ironically when we were looking at that time, I came across 3 touring manuals with sport package but the wife needed an auto.

You didn't happen to buy your touring from Chicago by chance did you? I saw a white touring sport package manual here a couple years ago maybe.

Good luck on your search
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #45
avincent52

Alpine: Great car. I bought mine in '07 as a CPO with 10,000 miles on it, from a dealer two miles from my house here in New Jersey. I had actually talked to that dealer about ordering one and this popped up. Go figure.
Ryanell: Thanks for finding it. I am going to follow up and make sure that the car isn't available. But if it did get sold at that price or close to it, it makes a great comp to use as a negotiating point with my insurance company. I'm trying to look on the bright side, but it's not easy.
AC: Thanks so much for finding the cache. Great work.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #46
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
I would suggest finding out how extensive the repairs will be and the extent of frame damage(if any) and then find out how much the buy back price would be. It's always good to have a plan B. It sounds like you really love your car and especially since you had it since 10k miles, you know the history and also don't plan on selling her anytime soon. If the financials work out and the damage isn't that great, I really think you should look into plan B.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #47
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Ok, here you go... one more comp. No pics, so hard to tell the installed packages, but the VIN is present. the price is quite a bit more than your adjuster offered you..

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

Another one from the 2004 MY (no pics or details, no detail on transmission, but VIN present)..

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #48
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
That last one you listed is the one that Autotrader had listed the other day from McDonald Volvo in Colorado. It's an Auto with just the premium package, and that last one looks a little bit on the cheap side and I'm going to assume that it's a basic model as well. I've never realized how hard it is to find the Touring models, but that's the reason why I've only seen one in my town (which happens to be a 2000 323i in the exact same color as my car lol).
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #49
avincent52

The BMW E46 is/was kind of the official car of Montclair NJ where I live. At one point I looked around and counted eight of them parked on one block.

And there are a few Tourings around, including a Blue Xit on my block, another virtually indentical XiT, a black 323, and a couple of random ones i'm forgetting.
I saw a silver one with M3 bodywork, and actually followed the lady around to get a better look. I was stalking, but only her car, not her.

I also saw three E90 Tourings in the parking lot of a lake where we go. I felt like a trendsetter.
All of these cars are automatics or I'd be making some offers.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #50
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
I've never realized how hard it is to find the Touring models, but that's the reason why I've only seen one in my town (which happens to be a 2000 323i in the exact same color as my car lol).
I spent 9 months looking for my Touring. The first time I took the car to my indie I spotted its twin: color, year, wheels, interior, same 3 pedals on the floor, down to the missing sunroof. And my town is ~8000 people! Go figure!
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #51
brontosaurus

My Ride: 2002 330i 5mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
And, of course, insurance is intended to replace the value of the vehicle, not the vehicle.
Incorrect. The purpose of insurance is to make you "whole" after suffering a loss.
brontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #52
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
A bad week just got much worse.

Got a preliminary call from the insurance adjuster and they're going to total my 2005 325it (Alpine white wagon, beige leather, sports package, manual transmission.)

I've never been in this situation before, but I'm assuming there's not much I can do aside from haggling with them about the amount of the check.

Any advice? Options?

FWIW, that car was my favorite thing in the world, and I had every intention of driving it until the engine block cracked at 1,200,000 miles.

Now my wife will end up driving a used Yaris and I'll be driving her 12-year old minivan that I should have been driving on Saturday.

Arrgh.
The way I see it, you'd be screwed if they didn't total it.
If you think the damage isn't that bad, you can alway offer to buy it back with a portion of the check they will give you. Then you can fix it with the remaining of the check.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #53
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontosaurus View Post
Incorrect. The purpose of insurance is to make you "whole" after suffering a loss.
yes, but by their definition of "whole", not by some people's inflated idea that being "made whole" requires 110% replacement of what was lost.

Which, in the end, is the value of the vehicle lost, not a check to go buy one just like it.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #54
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Nova: Thanks for weighing in. I'm not suggesting that the company's valuation is totally out of line, just that it's somewhat low and that their evaluation of the comps seems somewhat off (ie. Almost all the comps are sedans, but they're not taking into account that the wagon is a higher valued car. They also seem to miss the fact that some of the comps were missing options that are obvious from the pics, like sports package and the HK.)
Ug...so sorry to hear about this. My touring quickly became one of my favorite cars, despite the smaller engine. Hopefully you can bump up their offer a bit.
mtnbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
yes, but by their definition of "whole", not by some people's inflated idea that being "made whole" requires 110% replacement of what was lost.

Which, in the end, is the value of the vehicle lost, not a check to go buy one just like it.
If the "value of the vehicle lost" is determined fairly, based on real market values, one could "go buy one just like it" (mostly).

But they don't valuate it fairly. There have been many class action law suits against their practices. There's no arguments there.

The bigger problem I see is this... their definition of "whole" is the value of the vehicle you're driving (not the value you paid).
So, we could say our worth decreases every day/month, since cars are a depreciating asset.
So why is it that my premium doesn't decrease every month?
Every month that passes, the check that I might get if totaled decreases, but my monthly premium not only stays constant, but at renewal it increases?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #56
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
If the "value of the vehicle lost" is determined fairly, based on real market values, one could "go buy one just like it" (mostly).

But they don't valuate it fairly. There have been many class action law suits against their practices. There's no arguments there.

The bigger problem I see is this... their definition of "whole" is the value of the vehicle you're driving (not the value you paid).
So, we could say our worth decreases every day/month, since cars are a depreciating asset.
So why is it that my premium doesn't decrease every month?
Every month that passes, the check that I might get if totaled decreases, but my monthly premium not only stays constant, but at renewal it increases?
It depends. If your car is in poor shape, then no, you won't just be able to go buy another one. Or if your car is lacking options that others have. Or if your car has twice the mileage expected of a vehicle of similar age. Shouldn't these things be taken into consideration when coming up with a fair value?

Local values are a starting place, but the individual vehicle damaged is what is being evaluated.

And yes, the value of your car goes down every day and with every mile. They are depreciating assets. I had a customer insist that we needed to pay him 65k for his Mercedes because that's what he paid for it new... 7 years ago. I told him as nicely as I could muster that he was out of his mind.

Some companies don't do things fairly, you're right. Take them up with your states insurance board. Many companies do evaluate vehicles fairly, though. To Imply that they're all unfair is ludicrous.

Your premium doesn't decrease every month for a few reasons. The main one being that you buy car insurance six months at a time.

Why have you never called your insurance company (or state, for that matter, as broad-based rate hikes and reductions have to be approved first in many states) to ask why your rates go up every billing cycle? They are the ones that can answer that for you. And if you're unsatisfied with the answer, then get your insurance somewhere else. Or just pay the fee to go uninsured.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 07-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
Master Po

Quote:
It depends. If your car is in poor shape, then no, you won't just be able to go buy another one. Or if your car is lacking options that others have. Or if your car has twice the mileage expected of a vehicle of similar age. Shouldn't these things be taken into consideration when coming up with a fair value?
But of course.
The check issued should be able to theoretically cover another car in similar shape. That's the meaning of "making whole". But in practice it often doesn't.
If you chose to buy a car with more options and fewer miles, or a different car completely, that's customer's choice and unrelated to discussion.
Your original statement sounded like insurance co doesn't have the obligation to "make whole".

Quote:
And yes, the value of your car goes down every day and with every mile. They are depreciating assets. I had a customer insist that we needed to pay him 65k for his Mercedes because that's what he paid for it new... 7 years ago. I told him as nicely as I could muster that he was out of his mind.
Your customer was told premium would be $X based on a replacement value of $65K.
I bet he's been paying $X every renewal period, if not more, and now replacement value is less?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The insurance companies are out of their minds.

Quote:
Your premium doesn't decrease every month for a few reasons. The main one being that you buy car insurance six months at a time.

Why have you never called your insurance company (or state, for that matter, as broad-based rate hikes and reductions have to be approved first in many states) to ask why your rates go up every billing cycle? They are the ones that can answer that for you. And if you're unsatisfied with the answer, then get your insurance somewhere else. Or just pay the fee to go uninsured.
In the past I had a policy with one insurance co for several years. Absolutely no accident. Premium never decreased. It sometimes increased on renewal, citing inflation and other cost increases.
No more. I have lowered my premiums every year recently, even with several claims in my record. But that's because I'm been jumping from company to company. not because they play fair.
Greedy bastards.

And no, I'm not blowing smoke. This is a recognized fact.
You must have seen Nation Wide's recent "feature"... if you don't have claims, your deductible decreases by $100 each period. That's their covert way of conceding that they should decrease premiums automatically because their risk (value of asset) is decreasing.
Do they care about current, loyal and old time customers? Heck no. They are fish in the hook. All they care is netting new victims, I mean customers.
That's the only thing that explains why jumping companies decreases my premium more than staying with one company.

Last edited by Master Po; 07-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #58
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
It looks like you can still order an E91 with manual if you hurry. F31's aren't going to come with a manual in the US AFAIK.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #59
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
It looks like you can still order an E91 with manual if you hurry. F31's aren't going to come with a manual in the US AFAIK.
He can be the first to swap in a M3 engine / transmission
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #60
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Your customer was told premium would be $X based on a replacement value of $65K.
I bet he's been paying $X every renewal period, if not more, and now replacement value is less?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The insurance companies are out of their minds.

Do they care about current, loyal and old time customers? Heck no.
1. Actually, if anyone ever took the time to read their insurance policy (a contract), they'd realize that their collision/comp covers up to the ACV of their vehicle, which depreciates quickly. He would have never had a policy for an explicit $65k on his car. Unless you have an agreed value policy, which the company I worked for never offered, at least in Virginia.

Would you pay new price for a used car, regardless of how well it's maintained? If so, come buy my 330i, I'd love to get rid of it, hell, I'll even give you a deal and sell for $35k.

2. I wish someone had told me we didn't care about long-time customers. I would have treated them a lot more like they treated me a long time ago. But no, I got to bend over backwards for everyone that claimed they had been a policyholder for more than a day, as well as claimants, and even the policyholders that hadn't had their policies for more than a day.

Hell, we were encouraged to actively commit fraud in favor of the customer on a regular basis to keep people happy. Even claimants with no financial ties to the company. All in the name of providing excellent service.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 07-13-2012 at 06:18 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote