E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
BigMaineWomen

My Ride: 2002 330XI
Stock Rear shock/spring options

Hey guys I brought my car in for an inspection today and was told i needed to replace the rear shocks and springs. I was expecting RTABs but they didnt even bring it up.

I'm wondering if people are just doing the OEM DIY or generally replacing with something aftermarket. I was quoted $1,050 for rear shocks and springs and i don't mind doing them myself but it seems like everything OEM is pricey (almost $200 for a spring!). If that is the case so be it i will spend the money but if people are tending to go in a different direction I will play sheep and follow the herd.

Thanks
BigMaineWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Rear springs and shocks are an incredibly easy job. Also, being quoted over $1K is comical.

What are you looking for? OE feel, more comfort, a little more sportiness, moderately more aggressive, etc.?
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I don't think $1K is too comical for this. $200/OE Spring plus $150 per OE shock? $700 in parts right there.

However, OP, you could get new springs all around, and new struts/shocks for just a little more than that if you went aftermarket. And if you DIY, you'll save a huge chunk.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 02-19-2015 at 04:08 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Islander72

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMaineWomen View Post
Hey guys I brought my car in for an inspection today and was told i needed to replace the rear shocks and springs. I was expecting RTABs but they didnt even bring it up.

I'm wondering if people are just doing the OEM DIY or generally replacing with something aftermarket. I was quoted $1,050 for rear shocks and springs and i don't mind doing them myself but it seems like everything OEM is pricey (almost $200 for a spring!). If that is the case so be it i will spend the money but if people are tending to go in a different direction I will play sheep and follow the herd.

Thanks
Monroe OES Spectrum line are great OEM replacement at a fraction of the cost. Plus lifetime warranty on them, it is a great deal.
Islander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP, this would be one way to go about it on the affordable side. If you could find them here on E46F from a member, they'd probably be even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-BMW-E46...ba9ccb&vxp=mtr

You'll need two of these.
http://www.amazon.com/KYB-343352-Exc.../dp/B000C40SBK

Monroes aren't available for the Xi chassis.

EDIT: Monroe 5988's will fit perfectly, even though they're not listed.
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-5988-OE...pr_product_top

Total price, ~$240 dollars / OR ~$216 with Monroe's.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-19-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I don't think $1K is too comical for this. $200/OE Spring plus $150 per OE shock? $700 in parts right there.

However, OP, you could get new springs all around, and new struts/shocks for just a little more than that if you went aftermarket. And if you DIY, you'll save a huge chunk.
I find it comical because you can find superior quality in the aftermarket at a fraction of the cost.

$200 (per spring) for OE vs. $250 (full set) for H&R Sport springs.

$300 for OE shocks that have a maximum usable life of 80K miles vs. $200 for Koni STR.T's that are better performing and have a lifetime warranty.

I'm a huge proponent of going OE where it counts. Struts/shocks/springs, however, is the last area I'll take the OE route.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
SaberLily

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Get your OEM spring part number, and check RockAuto for the matching one from KYB. I bought KYB springs shipped from Great Britain via FedEx Express in 2 days for $140 CAD. Cheaper than OEM, FCPEuro and ECSTuning.
SaberLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
WDE46

Stock Rear shock/spring options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I find it comical because you can find superior quality in the aftermarket at a fraction of the cost.

$200 (per spring) for OE vs. $250 (full set) for H&R Sport springs.

$300 for OE shocks that have a maximum usable life of 80K miles vs. $200 for Koni STR.T's that are better performing and have a lifetime warranty.

I'm a huge proponent of going OE where it counts. Struts/shocks/springs, however, is the last area I'll take the OE route.

Well yeah for sure but it's not like the mechanic is reaming him, which is what I thought you were implying.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 02-21-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
BigMaineWomen

My Ride: 2002 330XI
Wow thanks for all the help. I'm looking for oe feel but more importantly i dont want to sacrifice any reliability. I'm not really interested in lowering the car; the roads here in maine are junk.

So right now i'm looking at going Rob's route which is ebay the springs and grab some fair monroe 5988 for a couple hundred bucks.

Or Knight is recommending something like H&R sport springs with koni street shocks. Let's say i go the full set, that's like 650 for all four corners. Not bad but i just don't know that i need the konis and i dont think i want to lower the car with the H&R.

I guess i will see what i can get the monroes for locally and order the springs.

Saber i checked rockauto with my spring part number. They look surprisingly cheap but they dont have any kyb; only kilen, boge and monroe. How do you think a monroe spring would compare to OE? The descriptions are a little confusing so i'm not sure how confident i am in ordering. Consistent wire diameter vs inconsistent wire diameter? 2 pigtail ends? Heavy duty?

This is why i dont use rock auto haha.
BigMaineWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
SaberLily

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the help. I'm looking for oe feel but more importantly i dont want to sacrifice any reliability. I'm not really interested in lowering the car; the roads here in maine are junk.

So right now i'm looking at going Rob's route which is ebay the springs and grab some fair monroe 5988 for a couple hundred bucks.

Or Knight is recommending something like H&R sport springs with koni street shocks. Let's say i go the full set, that's like 650 for all four corners. Not bad but i just don't know that i need the konis and i dont think i want to lower the car with the H&R.

I guess i will see what i can get the monroes for locally and order the springs.

Saber i checked rockauto with my spring part number. They look surprisingly cheap but they dont have any kyb; only kilen, boge and monroe. How do you think a monroe spring would compare to OE? The descriptions are a little confusing so i'm not sure how confident i am in ordering. Consistent wire diameter vs inconsistent wire diameter? 2 pigtail ends? Heavy duty?

This is why i dont use rock auto haha.
Yeah it was a bit confusing to find it at first especially since it lists for the Euro markets only and supposedly the different models have varying spring part numbers.

I did the easy thing and went on FCPEuro, found the rear spring, saw it's the same between all the E46 sedans without sports suspension. Then it was just browsing and finding a spring.

2001 325i, Suspension, Coil Spring, KYB EUROPE Part # RX6200, should cost about $105 shipped for both springs.

Since you have an xi like I do, two options listed for shock absorbers, Bilstein Touring B4 19220598 ($62 each) or Bilstein Sport/HD 24024532 ($131 each).
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Go with bilstein touring or Koni for shocks/struts paired with OE springs and you will be a happy customer. I don't know how the Monroe products are but I know there cheaper line is junk, especially on bad roads. I do know that Koni and bilstein are tried and true.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Well yeah for sure but it's not like the mechanic is teaming him, which is what I thought you were implying.
That's fair, I should have been clearer on where I was coming from.

Quote:
You could also go with Eibach Pro Kit springs for a more compliant ride. Only reason I'm mentioning springs is because you included them in your initial pricing, so I assumed your factory ones were shot.

Another option would be Bilstein Touring struts/shocks on the original springs (if they are still usable). I just purchased a 325i with brand new Bilstein Touring struts/shocks and the ride is very smooth.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
e9coupe

My Ride: Old BMW's
Why would you need to replace the springs? Safety issue? I guess I just don't hear about springs needing to be replaced very often.
e9coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9coupe View Post
Why would you need to replace the springs? Safety issue? I guess I just don't hear about springs needing to be replaced very often.

Given his location they're probably very rusted.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #15
Huajiachicat

My Ride: 2006 BMW 325Ci
I just bought 2 Koni str.t rear shocks for my 325ci. Haven't put them on yet. It is cheaper and life time warranty but you won't expect much on it. I drive my car for 30 mins daily commute so it should be good enough for me.
Huajiachicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
invisible man
Banned User

My Ride: invisible car
For starters, who even told you your springs needed to be replaced? Your mechanic is most certainly reaming you if he told you that. Where is this crap coming from that people think springs wear out?
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
Jools

My Ride: 2005 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible man View Post
For starters, who even told you your springs needed to be replaced? Your mechanic is most certainly reaming you if he told you that. Where is this crap coming from that people think springs wear out?
Springs can "wear out," especially if other suspension components are bad and left for a long time, but it's definitely pretty unlikely that the OP's are failing unless there's some noticeable problem. That said, in my experience a lot of shops will try to sell you on the idea that springs should always be replaced alongside shocks/struts.
Jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
invisible man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools View Post
Springs can "wear out,"
Yeah, no they can't.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #19
SaberLily

Rear springs can crack. That I and many others can attest to. Springs should not wear out under normal operation. They can be compromised when other outside factors stress the spring beyond what it's designed to handle (ie. extremely fast compression and rebound, going over speed bumps too fast).
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #20
invisible man
Banned User

This is a BMW we're talking about, not a Ford.