E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Weste46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Subframe bushings soon: Prep

Hello,

I'm planning on swapping subframe bushings along with the diff bushings soon.
I am considering buying a used subframe and taking out all of the bushings/installing new in preparation of the swap, instead of doing it all at once.
I found a 2003 330ci subframe for sale on eBay for $100.
Anyone think there is a better option? Is removing the trailing arm too difficult, or would the e brake cable make this difficult?

Thank you.
Weste46

RL Ultimo coils, Bilstein top hats, Rob43 rear adjustable shocks, Meyle RSM's, Status Gruppe front links, Meyle CA's, AKG 95a CAB's, Powerflex 95a RTAB's, M3 engine mounts, UUC 5sp Mounts, BMW Performance SSK, Jaffster knob, headers, CAI, lots of weight reduction.
Weste46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Weste46

Does anyone know if the hand brake cable would be free of the subframe without being removed from the hub?
That's the only part that concerns me about buying a different subframe, transferring current parts over to the other subframe when I don't know how to remove them.

RL Ultimo coils, Bilstein top hats, Rob43 rear adjustable shocks, Meyle RSM's, Status Gruppe front links, Meyle CA's, AKG 95a CAB's, Powerflex 95a RTAB's, M3 engine mounts, UUC 5sp Mounts, BMW Performance SSK, Jaffster knob, headers, CAI, lots of weight reduction.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
2cars1cup

My Ride: 01 330i
Getting a spare frame is definitely a good idea, helps to get you car back on the road quicker. Took me a few nights to remove and press the new bushings, so it's not a quick process. Only sticky part is the handbrake cables. You don't have to remove them from the hub, in fact you have to pull them though the subframe. They are not easy to take out, had to use tons on PB Blaster. Yet still, one of the cables got stuck in the subframe. Ending have to buy another one, not a huge loss ($20), but something that might be worth having on hand just in case.
2cars1cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Weste46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cars1cup View Post
Getting a spare frame is definitely a good idea, helps to get you car back on the road quicker. Took me a few nights to remove and press the new bushings, so it's not a quick process. Only sticky part is the handbrake cables. You don't have to remove them from the hub, in fact you have to pull them though the subframe. They are not easy to take out, had to use tons on PB Blaster. Yet still, one of the cables got stuck in the subframe. Ending have to buy another one, not a huge loss ($20), but something that might be worth having on hand just in case.
I might actually go ahead and do it on the subframe I have... I have a gap of a few days and don't want to deal with the unexpected, like the cables haha. Hopefully I'll get enough slack out of them to be able to bring the subframe down to press bushings out?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
kburger

My Ride: 323ci coupe 2000 bmw
Weste I'm in the middle of that job right now. BIIIIG job. I pulled subframe with removing trailing arms or control arms. Much easier I think. Now I haven't put the new subframe back in hehe so i'll keep you posted how hard that is. Basically, here wut u gotta do. remove exhaust from car. remove heat shield the big one only. unscrew ebrake cables and pull through subframe. these cables were a pita. Remove rear differential. this takes all the weight out of it. remove 4 control arm center bolts/nuts. remove 4 subframe bolts and pull out subframe. Now if you gotta replace stuff in trailing arms and control arms that's a different story. Mine are all good. Waiting for ebrake complete kit from ecs tuning 140 bucks my ebrake been messed up for several years doing it while I got it apart. Also rear passenger side brake hard line is rusted bad 27 bucks ecs tuning replacing that. basically I would fix anything behind that suspension while you have everything out.
kburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
kburger

My Ride: 323ci coupe 2000 bmw
darn typos. ipulled subframe WITHOUT removing trailing arms control arms
kburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Weste46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kburger View Post
Weste I'm in the middle of that job right now. BIIIIG job. I pulled subframe with removing trailing arms or control arms. Much easier I think. Now I haven't put the new subframe back in hehe so i'll keep you posted how hard that is. Basically, here wut u gotta do. remove exhaust from car. remove heat shield the big one only. unscrew ebrake cables and pull through subframe. these cables were a pita. Remove rear differential. this takes all the weight out of it. remove 4 control arm center bolts/nuts. remove 4 subframe bolts and pull out subframe. Now if you gotta replace stuff in trailing arms and control arms that's a different story. Mine are all good. Waiting for ebrake complete kit from ecs tuning 140 bucks my ebrake been messed up for several years doing it while I got it apart. Also rear passenger side brake hard line is rusted bad 27 bucks ecs tuning replacing that. basically I would fix anything behind that suspension while you have everything out.
Gotcha, haven't been worried about my hand brake cables but I'm sure they're not good. RTAB's are done so that's not needed but the upper inner control arm bushing will need done while it's out, otherwise I'm just doing subframe and diff bushings. Gonna try building my own tools for the job instead of renting the "right ones" for inflated prices...

Maybe I'll buy a single cable just in case, but couldn't I fix them later if need be with the subframe up again?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
Weste46

I ended up pulling the ebrake cables through the subframe from the front, and leaving them attached to the hubs. Pretty easy honestly. Subframe is out, all 4 bushings are out, about to start on the diff bushings. I will try my hand at the upper inner CAB's, but aluminum worries me so I might take them somewhere to be pressed out.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Weste46

I left the lower control arm on to not mess up camber, and marked my RTAs' positions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466780137517.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	635266  

Old 06-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #10
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weste46 View Post
I ended up pulling the ebrake cables through the subframe from the front, and leaving them attached to the hubs. Pretty easy honestly. Subframe is out, all 4 bushings are out, about to start on the diff bushings.
My brother and I can drop the subframe rather quickly this way. I didn't want to mess with the cables inside the rear hubs, only two 10mm nuts inside the car. They feed back in easily as well.

Good luck!
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Weste46

Got all these bushings out and back in without much issue, but the two upper inner control arm bushings are very stuck. I took them to a shop nearby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466865093460.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	635311  

Last edited by Weste46; 06-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.