E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Oz Striker

My Ride: '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
F30 M Sport 4 pot Brembo Brake Project

So my front discs and pads are waaay overdue a change and so i had my eyes open for various big brake options. I had a look at the 6 piston BMW performance brakes, but long story short, total surface front piston area is less the stock OEM so i discounted it. I then came across a set of used front and rear F30 Brembo 4 pot calipers (2 pot rear) with discs (340mm) and pads for a reasonable price and bit the bullet, worst case scenario i sell them on.

So here goes, lets start with the good news:

The calipers themselves bolt directly on to the the hub/caliper carrier, and clear the inner spokes of MV1's with a 15mm spacer and i also think a 12.5, but will have to check, but definitely not a 10mm.:

Bad news as follows:

The 340mm front discs from the F30 have a much bigger hat height, hence they cannot fit on the the E46 hub. The E46 has a hat height of 52.5mm and the F30 is 73mm:

I cannot place a spacer behind the disc, and in front of the hub, as then there would not be much of a hub lip for the wheel to rest on. Its not so obvious in this pic, but the back of the disc hits the dust shield, but even if this was removed there is a lower suspension knuckle that would make contact with the disc.

Next is rotor alignment, the disc is not centred in the caliper, the caliper sits further out than is ideal, this would result in uneven brake wear more than is acceptable. However this could be rectified with a brake shim behind the outboard pad, approx 3mm but I'll check this in time.

Since the 340mm F30 discs cant be fitted, then E46 M3 CSL disc could potentially work, at 345mm they are 20mm larger than stock 330i, and so 10mm larger radius, it would be tight but possible:

I'm not aware of any other BMW disc thought would be suitable, ie diameter 330-340mm, with a hat height of 52.5mm. I'll be purchasing a M3 CSL disc in the coming weeks to check fitment & clearances, and keep this thread updated.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

My blog on E46 DIYs & Mods http://lifewithabmw.blogspot.com/
Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Damn, kudos to you for trying to get F30 rotors to fit. Very nice man but sucks that the rotors don't work out. What about the calipers and the stock E46 rotors?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
MARKS330I

My Ride: 03 330i
Awesome project! Can't wait to see where this goes. Nice job so far.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
BMW WHP

My Ride: 2001 330Ci w/ stick
This looks very promising, i hope this works.
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Oz Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
What about the calipers and the stock E46 rotors?
Stock 330 rotors are 25mm thick, the calipers on an F30 has 30mm discs, so stock 330 rotors probably wont be ideal, unless you use a lot of brake shims. E46 M3 front discs are 28mm so should be ok from a thickness point of view.

More Pics:

330 and and F30 brembo pad

So my E46 CSL disc (345mm) arrived, and its a little odd, i dont think the swept area is any larger than stock M3 (325mm)......

I'll do a test fit of both CSL and stock M3 discs over the next week or so and see whats what. If stock M3 discs are what works best, then the outer/rear edge of the brake pads will require a slight shave, to prevent the 2 pads from touching as they wear down, as they will overhang the disc as is.

Also got my 1.2mm thick stainless steel sheet, so will be cutting out brake shims to solve the rotor not being centred within the caliper.

My YouTube Channel incl Muffler delete vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/OzStryke...view_as=public

Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
you the man
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Oz Striker

I got round to trying various options, the F30 rotors again, E46 M3, and E46 M3 CSL. So lets start with F30 340x30mm rotors, which with a 73mm hat height wont fit the E46 hub, but i had a look around on other forums (M3forum.net) and there is the possibility of putting a hub centric spacer behind the rotor instead of in front of it. But this wouldn't be any off the shelf spacer, it would need a longer lip so that the wheel has something to rest on and also a screw thread cut into the surface of the spacer for the rotor retaining screw.

Any custom spacer would need a lip length of approx 20mm

And also the rear of the spacer would need to be machined, just like back of the rotor, to fit & mate with the hub properly. Yes these aren't precise measurements, but the first pic shows the lip hub diameter (E46 bore), but the 2nd pic shows the approx diameter of the hub at its base (i had to move the micrometer away in order to take the pic)

With 18mm of spacer behind the rotor the back of the rotor just touches the front of the dust shield. This i easily bent forward without causing any other issues. With 20mm of spacer it clears the dust shield, but then some folks may have wheel offset issues.

The bend is actually very slight, but the angle of the picture makes it look like a lot

Best news with using the F30 disc is that the pad from a front + back position is spot on:

Last edited by Oz Striker; 05-26-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Oz Striker

Next up is the E46 M3 disc 325x28mm:

The pads easily clear the rotor hat:

But on the outer edge as suspected, approx 8-10mm of pad material is visible, this could be shaved down. (330i discs 325x25mm would have a similar fit but disc thickness at 25mm may be an issue)

Next up is E46 CSL disc 345x28mm. Outer edge is perfect, but the CSL rotor diameter is larger simply due to the rotor hat being larger, on the inner edge the pad material makes contact with the rotor hat, again the pad would need to be shaved down.

If i was going for one of these options, i would choose the CSL discs. Firstly the CSL discs here in the UK are only about $15 more expensive than standard M3 discs. Secondly although the swept area is the same between M3 and CSL discs, the larger disc will dissipate heat better.

But seeing as i already have the F30 discs i think I'm going to go for the custom spacer option, which will cost me about 100, whereas 2 CSL discs will cost 300.

Last edited by Oz Striker; 05-26-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #9
GGray

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
Interesting nice it bolts up! Did you try the rear out yet?

88 E30M3 turbo race/track car, 89 M3 restore project
91 325i M tech convertible.
91 GTI 16V & 92 Gti 8V
01 325it five speed daily/track AKA: Wagonator.

If you can take it apart you can make it faster
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbk, big brake, brembo, f30, m sport