E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Skydaver

My Ride: 2004 300xi
330xi Front End Advice Needed

Hi,

First time posting, but I've been a lurker for years.

I've got a 2004 330xi - I'm the only owner. 158k miles.

Last summer, I replaced all four rotors (see below), brake pads (Pagid Red), rear shocks (Sachs) and springs, and front struts (bilstein).

Since that time, after about 3,000-5,000 miles or so, the car develops significant shimmy when braking. Thinking that it was a problem with bad rotors, I replaced them, and the problem went away. Then I replaced them again, because the problem reappeared. And then one more time. I've had three different types of rotors on the car ("BavAuto rotors", Meyle, and now Zimmerman).

To confirm my suspicions, I used a dial indicator to check the runout of the second set of rotors before I replaced them - it was around .006". However, the runout of the third set of rotors, which are also now exhibiting the problem, are .002" at most.

At times, there's a faint front-end shimmy at highway speeds, too. I've noticed that during a long drive, a short but firm tap of the brakes can sometimes change a very smooth ride into a ride with a slight shimmy.

Now on my third set of rotors, I'm at a loss as to what to do. I shouldn't be replacing rotors every few months, and I'm thinking that replacing them won't fix the problem this time.

Perhaps unrelated question (or maybe not) - I'm on the original set of bushings. I'm thinking that maybe it's time to replace the control arms, bushings, and ball joints. I'm not a fan of doing things just to do them, but rather I want to do things because they are needed and will either fix a problem or show noticeable improvement. Is it overdue?
Skydaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydaver View Post
Hi,

First time posting, but I've been a lurker for years.

I've got a 2004 330xi - I'm the only owner. 158k miles.

Last summer, I replaced all four rotors (see below), brake pads (Pagid Red), rear shocks (Sachs) and springs, and front struts (bilstein).

Since that time, after about 3,000-5,000 miles or so, the car develops significant shimmy when braking. Thinking that it was a problem with bad rotors, I replaced them, and the problem went away. Then I replaced them again, because the problem reappeared. And then one more time. I've had three different types of rotors on the car ("BavAuto rotors", Meyle, and now Zimmerman).

To confirm my suspicions, I used a dial indicator to check the runout of the second set of rotors before I replaced them - it was around .006". However, the runout of the third set of rotors, which are also now exhibiting the problem, are .002" at most.

At times, there's a faint front-end shimmy at highway speeds, too. I've noticed that during a long drive, a short but firm tap of the brakes can sometimes change a very smooth ride into a ride with a slight shimmy.

Now on my third set of rotors, I'm at a loss as to what to do. I shouldn't be replacing rotors every few months, and I'm thinking that replacing them won't fix the problem this time.

Perhaps unrelated question (or maybe not) - I'm on the original set of bushings. I'm thinking that maybe it's time to replace the control arms, bushings, and ball joints. I'm not a fan of doing things just to do them, but rather I want to do things because they are needed and will either fix a problem or show noticeable improvement. Is it overdue?

This.

My first choice would be Meyle HD.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
If the vibration is felt in the steering wheel and not the brake pedal it's control arms/bushings for certain. Even if it is felt in the pedal too that much mileage on original bushings would lead me to believe they are pretty shot. I don't know if the Meyle HD bushings are available for the XI. We don't carry them. But we do have Lemfoerder, genuine BMW, and Powerflex. I run the Powerflex on my older 3 series and love them. Very noticeable difference even from fresh solid rubber M3 bushings on my car. Lifetime warranty too.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Skydaver

Sure about the control arms and bushings?

Two resounding "yes" replies - OK, got it.

However - the thing that makes me wonder is that it's not just feel - the steering wheel literally dances when braking. It's really just feel when driving at highway speeds, but it jumps around otherwise.

Confirmation?

I'll be ordering control arms and bushings this week...
Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Yes, that "dancing" is a direct result of the control arm flopping around in the bushing underneath the car. A new pair of arms, ball joints, and bushings should result in a much nicer car to drive overall. Even when not braking.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Skydaver

Thank you!

You guys were 200% correct. Not only is the front end nice and tight like it was ten years ago (the result I expected), but the steering wheel wobble when braking is gone, too.

Thanks!