E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
CharlieFoxtrot

My Ride: 02 330Ci, 97 528i
FCAB wiggle?

With the car on jackstands, if i can grab the tire at front and rear and wiggle it with not a lot of force, and if the end of the fca and the inner part of the bushing wiggles clearly side to side, I guess that means I need FCABs, right?
CharlieFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
YEP!

I just changed my to powerflex and OMG, I am in love with my car again. Drives SO good now. And, no wiggle when I grab the tire on jackstands anymore.

Do eeeet

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
CharlieFoxtrot

Thanks. Balljoints all seemed OK, but I ordered Meyle HD arms anyway, as well as the Meyle HD bushings.

I have officially spent more on this car in 2015 than I could sell it for. And I still have an AC leak and non-adjustable driver seat!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I was in the same spot. I cheaped out and kept my existing control arms, but I'll probably end up going Meyle HD soon.

By the way, get these pre-pressed into the lollipops. Trust me on that.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
iastute

My Ride: 03 E46 M-sport
IMHO you should go with the Powerflex bushings. Used the Meyle HD ones before but replaced 2x already. So now am trying the Powerflex ones....doing great at the moment...
Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
CharlieFoxtrot

Bummer, the meyles will be here today. If they fail prematurely, I'll get powerflex next time.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot View Post
Bummer, the meyles will be here today. If they fail prematurely, I'll get powerflex next time.
Your setup should have the car feeling good again, and the bushings will probably last a decent amount of time. When you do go Powerflex in the future, aside from the crisp steering, another huge benefit is the lifetime warranty, so you would never have to pay to replace them again.

Enjoy the new HDs and let us know how much better the car feels.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
CharlieFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld View Post
Enjoy the new HDs and let us know how much better the car feels.
Jonathan--

With new Meyle HD LCAs & LCABs, Koni STR-T all around, new strut and shock mounts, and new stock rear springs, it felt great! For about a month. Now I have to do rear bushings.

Still has no freon and a drivers seat that's stuck all the way back.

I have never owned a modern car that cost good money (ie not a car that I should have let the owner send to the junkyard instead) that has needed as much work as this BMW. And when a part on a BMW goes bad, it goes BAD. There's no "I'll fix that when I get a chance," only "I need to call AAA and Hertz now."

My E39 _was_ one step from the junkyard when I bought it, and it's been a better car than the E46. And it's been a bad BMW week at my house. The E39 lost a window regulator on Wednesday and a water pump (already replaced at some point) today. And the E46 has a back wheel flopping around on failed bushings.

I wanted my wife to get a Mustang convertible instead of the E46. Maybe next time she'll listen.

wah wah wah

later
kevin

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 06-21-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Glad the car felt great, but sorry to hear about all the trouble. Rear bushings, if you're referring to the RTABs, aren't too much of a hassle depending on what you replace them with. Still a pain to have to replace things, but most of us have been there at one time or another.

Hopefully your current list of things to deal with will keep the car happy for the next couple of years.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Jonathon,
I'm an '05 330ci with ~94k and I'm on my third set of fcabs, about to have the fourth installed. Should I consider anything else front end wise?
I drive like an adult and don't do hpdes.

Thanks.