E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #481
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I was thinking 10, but I really don't know how much wiggle room I have on my fronts if I drop it. As it sits, with a quick tape measure job in the parking lot (at work atm lol), there's about 2" clearance from top of the tire, to the fender lip, height-wise. And it's set in about 1/2" from the lip, going that way. So as it sits now, if I drop it 2", it'll be barely inside the fender (stock, not rolled/cut), and even if I account for the upward slope inside, it seems like I'd only have about 1/2" max clearance above the outer edge of the tire before rubbing at that point. And that's not counting what would happen if it's spaced out a tad. Would imagine it would rub over any decent bumps at that point. Makes me wonder how people get away with wider tires, dropped, and minimal modification to the fender lol. I doubt I'll drop it that far, honestly, but I'm just trying to be cautious about it. I guess worst case, I go 10mm, and just make sure I don't drop it too far to cause issues.

Since I just had a CPS sensor code flash earlier today, I'll be ordering that up and will likely add my spacers to my order. I hate to order two sets, but I guess I could get a set of 5's and 10's, and whichever I don't use in the front, I can always toss on the rear. All the incidentals add up in the wallet in a hurry lol.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #482
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Great info in this thread, definitely considering picking up a set once I get through the maintenance stage in my ZHP.

Kris@TSS, any chance more refurb. kits come through?

Last edited by Sedan Hussein; 06-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #483
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
To be honest we do not get these back very often. I will post when we do.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #484
CharlzO

Just got the official stamp on the side of my wheels doing my brakes... 17x 7.5 ET40. According to the calculator, I've got 1mm more clearance atm already over stock, so I'm going to just order up some 5mm's today, and keep my fingers crossed lol. Now it's going to just be a torturous wait until I get everything sitting at my door, and then find a day to do this all. Suspense!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #485
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Just got the official stamp on the side of my wheels doing my brakes... 17x 7.5 ET40. According to the calculator, I've got 1mm more clearance atm already over stock, so I'm going to just order up some 5mm's today, and keep my fingers crossed lol. Now it's going to just be a torturous wait until I get everything sitting at my door, and then find a day to do this all. Suspense!
Yah, 5mm should do good for you.
I ordered the 10mm and 15mm for the same reason. Just wanted to make sure it fits and if I had extra I'd throw them on the rears or sell it. But I ended up using both.
I had to wait for a week after I installed the rear coils for the front spacers to arrive.
Do it all at once.

I will post some pictures once I have the coils adjusted again, hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #486
CharlzO

Yep, everything's ordered up. Ordered the spacers, and rear shock reinforcement plates yesterday, they shipped out today. So, based on all my shipping updates and ETAs, should have everything coming in towards the middle/late next week. Hopefully in time for the weekend so I don't have to wait to do more, but...ugh, I hate waiting! But on the good note, everything will be here to do the work with, and unless I totally break something out of left field, should have everything to do it start to finish all at once. Can't wait!

Also noticed when doing my brakes that my rear subframe bushings are utterly destroyed. No damage (yet), but ugh, gotta find time to do THAT one of these weekends. Especially after all this stuff going in it. What a chore lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #487
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Yep, everything's ordered up. Ordered the spacers, and rear shock reinforcement plates yesterday, they shipped out today. So, based on all my shipping updates and ETAs, should have everything coming in towards the middle/late next week. Hopefully in time for the weekend so I don't have to wait to do more, but...ugh, I hate waiting! But on the good note, everything will be here to do the work with, and unless I totally break something out of left field, should have everything to do it start to finish all at once. Can't wait!

Also noticed when doing my brakes that my rear subframe bushings are utterly destroyed. No damage (yet), but ugh, gotta find time to do THAT one of these weekends. Especially after all this stuff going in it. What a chore lol.
I hear you man.
I had CSB Guibo, Differential fluid, FCABs, tie rods done before I installed the coils.
Then did the rear coils, RSMs and RTABs.
Had to wait for the spacers for the fronts, so that had to wait another week.
Then had to do the rear bearings 2 times.

Now going to do the FSMs this weekend because I have a creaking noise from the front.

Hope everything goes smooth for you. I didnt have any problems other than having difficulty on RTABs, coils were easy.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #488
CharlzO

Ok, this is gonna be torture....just arrived today, and can't put them on until next weekend. Fighting the urge to do the rears tomorrow anyway lol. And now I'm debating on rear spacers to flush out the rear more. You know, for what originally started as "Hey, I'll get this rockin' kit for a great price!", it sure has gotten darn expensive as I keep adding other goodies to my shopping list lol. The kit, great price. The fact that I have other stuff to do too....um, priceless? lol. (On a good note, these + the associated refresh hardware/mounts/nuts/etc) was still less than the new tires I just put on today lol)

Can't wait to get these on! And then..more waiting to settle in, then an alignment. How long did you give it before aligning the car afterwards?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #489
CharlzO

Duplicate post. Oops.

Last edited by CharlzO; 07-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #490
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Good luck!

I am still working on finishing my install. Took it to get it aligned and they said they couldn't do it. My fron CAB's are so shot that it wouldn't hold an alignment. New arms and bushings arrive today, gonna get started on those tomorrow then try again for the alignment.

Also might adjust the back end again. The back really does lower a lot more than the front with this kit. I am still about a half inch lower in the back than the front when measuring from the wheel well to the ground and you can definitely see less tire in the back than the front.

Hoping with these new arms, bushings and this new kit my handling should be pretty nice after this weekend.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #491
blkonblk05

My Ride: 2005 325i
Re: *Street Edge Coilovers Review *

I had to wait for a week before my alignment. ( not my choice but it settled pretty quick.) My fronts all the way dwn to my surprise were right on the money for a sport settup however my rears were at 4.4 deg. Neg before alignment. (Corrected) And maxed toe to get it within spec. I did some research in the web on other set ups to find what Specs I wanted. Mine is somewhere between a stock to autocross set up.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp mobile app
blkonblk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #492
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
You do want to wait atleast 300 miles before aligning the car.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #493
blkonblk05

I drive approximately 100 miles a day for wrk so i had somewhere around 700 miles before alignment. Also my rears are up about a half inch or more from lowest setting and i sit level. So far im super pleased with my purchase!!!

Last edited by blkonblk05; 07-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #494
aarondb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk05 View Post
U drive approximately 100 miles a day for wrk so i had somewhere around 700 miles before alignment. Also my rears are up about a half inch or more from lowest setting and i sit level. So far im super pleased with my purchase!!!

That surprises me. I am 3 threads away from not having any of the inner coupling showing in the rear and I am still lower than I am in the front. My fronts are all the way down. Wonder if maybe my springs are sagging?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #495
blkonblk05

Ill try and look at mine over the weekend. Ill see where its at. Also Kris...I have a quick question. Why did they not provide a set screw for the rears.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #496
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
A buddy of mine who doesn't speak very good english wanted me to ask what was going on with his fronts.. he said he has everything in correctly but the front is still at stock height. He said his helper spring is on top. What are the potential issues here and how could it be fixed?
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #497
aarondb4

*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

He most likely does not have the shock far enough down in the pinch mechanism. There is a little post sticking out near the bottom of the shock, that needs to go in the seam of the pinch mechanism. There should be an inch or two of shock sticking out below the pinch mechanism.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #498
aarondb4

Hey kris, question for you. I have my fronts all the way down I have the backs all the way up and I am still lower in the back than the front. Attached is a pic of my rear adjuster. Bout as high as I want to go with it and I am still lower in the back. Are my springs sagging or is this normal?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373079117.701640.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	514862

Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #499
trj

^+1
same here.
But I am having the creaking noise issue at the front as well.
Trying to resolve it first.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #500
E46runsPCB

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Hey kris, question for you. I have my fronts all the way down I have the backs all the way up and I am still lower in the back than the front. Attached is a pic of my rear adjuster. Bout as high as I want to go with it and I am still lower in the back. Are my springs sagging or is this normal?Attachment 514862

Check to be sure your front assembly is seated properly in the clamp at the bottom of the front coils. There's a little guide on the front coil assembly that should slide into the crack of the clamp which when inserted properly will let the coil rest about 3/4" further into the clamp. That's my first guess..