E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #501
SilverMayn

My Ride: E46 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Hey kris, question for you. I have my fronts all the way down I have the backs all the way up and I am still lower in the back than the front. Attached is a pic of my rear adjuster. Bout as high as I want to go with it and I am still lower in the back. Are my springs sagging or is this normal?Attachment 514862

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
i dont know about the front but in the rear on my e36 m3 I had the same issue. Turned out to be worn out trailing arm bushings gave my rear supsension too much vertical travel
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #502
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
If you are experiencing a front/rear noise visit this thread I created that shows you how to fix http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...204&highlight=

If you are experiencing height issues in the front PLEASE make sure you have the coilover seated in the "hub" correctly. If not seated correctly it will result in a like factory height. The hub can be a real PITA to get apart.

If you are experiencing height issues in the rear please provide me the part numbers from your perch and spring. Also fill this out http://www.s45inc.com/files/Coilover-Measurements.pdf
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #503
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
What is going to be the Bimmerfest price?

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #504
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
What is going to be the Bimmerfest price?
That price has expired.
1-888-230-1288
kristina@thesuspensionsource.com
www.thesuspensionsource.com
Kris@TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #505
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46runsPCB View Post
Check to be sure your front assembly is seated properly in the clamp at the bottom of the front coils. There's a little guide on the front coil assembly that should slide into the crack of the clamp which when inserted properly will let the coil rest about 3/4" further into the clamp. That's my first guess..

The front is definitely installed correctly and it did drop a significant amount from stock. It is as low as it was meant to be based on other pics. The rear is just much lower. If I adjust it to full drop I could hide the entire tire and just have rim showing. I'll fill out the measurement form and get it to Kris to see if it is normal or not.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #506
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
If you are experiencing a front/rear noise visit this thread I created that shows you how to fix http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...204&highlight=

If you are experiencing height issues in the front PLEASE make sure you have the coilover seated in the "hub" correctly. If not seated correctly it will result in a like factory height. The hub can be a real PITA to get apart.

If you are experiencing height issues in the rear please provide me the part numbers from your perch and spring. Also fill this out http://www.s45inc.com/files/Coilover-Measurements.pdf
The fronts are seated right. I rechecked everything when I did the FSMs last week.
Strut nut torqued with the tool with allen wrench to 37lbs.
Fronts almost all the way low, one thread remaining on the perch.
Rears almost all the way up, one thread remaining on the perch.
Still getting that creaking noise and grinding when I go over the bumps.
Nothing touching anywhere.

Will check the part numbers and heights this weekend.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #507
aarondb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
The fronts are seated right. I rechecked everything when I did the FSMs last week.
Strut nut torqued with the tool with allen wrench to 37lbs.
Fronts almost all the way low, one thread remaining on the perch.
Rears almost all the way up, one thread remaining on the perch.
Still getting that creaking noise and grinding when I go over the bumps.
Nothing touching anywhere.

Will check the part numbers and heights this weekend.
Did you reuse the stock washer on top of the coil over? Did you torque the pinch bolt to 60lbs? Did you install new top mounts? Did you torque the top mounts to 25lbs?

Just some things to check. Mine are completely noise free, just have the lower in the back issue.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #508
Sedan Hussein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
That price has expired.
Oh, sorry. I thought you mentioned there would be a sale at bimmerfest

Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #509
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I'll finally have all the parts I need tomorrow. Only waiting on the rear shock mounts and reinforcement plates at this point. Got a few extras I didn't need (like new rear lower spring pads, since it's the uppers that get used instead, etc) but can't hurt to have on hand I guess. I did get new washers and everything, pretty much new hardware for everything, so I'm going to try to loosely (not torqued yet) assemble the struts and mounts tomorrow morning, and assuming FedEx comes when they did today (bright and effin early), I'll get the rears together too. Then it's just pull the old out, put the new in on Sunday. I'd do it in the driveway, but I don't have a torque wrench, and from everything I've seen so far, things need to be pretty darn close to avoid clunks and whatnot. And I don't want to clunk! I'll try to get some pictures along the way though, for two reasons: If I'm wrong, the pictures will help me figure out what to correct, and if I do it RIGHT, I'll have pictures of it so people can see lol. Tomorrow is way too far away...
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #510
trj

*Street Edge Coilovers Review *

Quote:
Did you reuse the stock washer on top of the coil over? Did you torque the pinch bolt to 60lbs? Did you install new top mounts? Did you torque the top mounts to 25lbs?

Just some things to check. Mine are completely noise free, just have the lower in the back issue.
Yes to all the questions.
I did the whole process twice. Once during the installation and once last week when I changed the front mounts.
The noise I am getting is from the driver side front strut area.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #511
CharlzO

Quote:
Yes to all the questions.
I did the whole process twice. Once during the installation and once last week when I changed the front mounts.
The noise I am getting is from the driver side front strut area.
I may have missed it previously, but it's not something else in the suspension that just seems to have woken up noisy after the install? sway bar bushings, CABs, end links or anything else that might have loosened up? Just trying to think of what else might be there that could cause any noises.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #512
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
I may have missed it previously, but it's not something else in the suspension that just seems to have woken up noisy after the install? sway bar bushings, CABs, end links or anything else that might have loosened up? Just trying to think of what else might be there that could cause any noises.
FCABs and RTABs are new.
The only thing I can think of right now is the endlinks. I used the new ones that came with the coil overs and re checked their tightness last week. All the joints and nuts are tightened to the spec.
The issue is the sound only comes when there is load on the suspension; like turning the wheels or going over the bumps.
If I were able to recreate the noise while on the lift, I would be able to point out where the issue might be.
Well, going to check everything again. Its getting really irritating having to change things one at a time and the issue not getting resolved.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #513
fth001

My Ride: 325i, e36m3, s13
Quote:
FCABs and RTABs are new.
The only thing I can think of right now is the endlinks. I used the new ones that came with the coil overs and re checked their tightness last week. All the joints and nuts are tightened to the spec.
The issue is the sound only comes when there is load on the suspension; like turning the wheels or going over the bumps.
If I were able to recreate the noise while on the lift, I would be able to point out where the issue might be.
Well, going to check everything again. Its getting really irritating having to change things one at a time and the issue not getting resolved.
Try checking the sway bar bushings and mounts also. I have run across a couple cars that have actually cracked the mounts right off the frame rail, granted they were running huge bars but its worth a look.
fth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #514
Hawaiian821

My Ride: Vert,G37, f350Harley

Been on my car for a little over 500 miles and still love them. I'm thinking of getting a set for the wagon! Kris, can you PM me a price for a 2000 323i wagon? Thanks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373434982.879041.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	515685Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373435007.311760.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	515686Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373435031.611662.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	515687

Hawaiian821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #515
kaldE46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Still riding strong. Here's a rolling shotClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373437751.681142.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	515688
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #516
Goo7dson

My Ride: s65
I've had sex that left me looking worse.

Last edited by Goo7dson; 07-10-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Goo7dson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #517
Sedan Hussein

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldE46 View Post
Still riding strong. Here's a rolling shotAttachment 515688
nice stance

Old 07-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #518
aarondb4

Quote:
FCABs and RTABs are new.
I had a creaking/clunking in the front driver side as well, the top but on the coil was not right enough. I couldn't get a torque wrench on it so I just got it good and tight and the noise went away.

Only other think I can think of is did you get reinforcement plates for the mounts? Also is your wheel far enough away from the shock? I didn't use spacers and I am really close, but I remember others saying they were rubbing a bit on bumps.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #519
trj

Quote:
I had a creaking/clunking in the front driver side as well, the top but on the coil was not right enough. I couldn't get a torque wrench on it so I just got it good and tight and the noise went away.

Only other think I can think of is did you get reinforcement plates for the mounts? Also is your wheel far enough away from the shock? I didn't use spacers and I am really close, but I remember others saying they were rubbing a bit on bumps.

I didnt use the re-inforcement plates for the front mounts. I am going to install strut bar soon. So i figured i didnt need the plates. No deformation of strut towers on mine. So i am good on that. I did get the strut nut torqued both the times.
I have 10mm ecs spacers up front and 15mm in the rear. So its not rubbing.
Just not able to see what is causing the noise.
I am going to dismantle everything put it together this weekend. Ordering the sway bar bushings now. Sucks to keep on adding parts one at a time and still issue not getting fixed.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #520
CharlzO

Assuming the weather holds off in the morning, going to be putting the front end together on mine tomorrow. Turns out my step-brother is a bum, and planned to do other stuff on Sunday instead of letting me toy in the garage. So, I've put everything together, had him torque the top nuts onto the mounts for me (since he had the tools for it, I took them up and made him go do them on his lunch break lol). So tomorrow is install day for me. If all goes well, it'll be the front end, plus CABs while I'm under there. If time left, I'll do my fuel filter and oil change, but I mainly want the front buttoned up. I'll probably also adjust the rears down a little more, now that they've had time to settle in. Will definitely take some pictures when I get it done!