E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
briggsk1

My Ride: 2002 325Ci Convert
All I did was swap pads and rotors!!! Now what???

Hey guys!!! I have tried to search as much as possible about my light "trifecta". Most bring up the wheel sensors, and then a failed ABS unit. I can't really find the same situation I'm in.

Here's the story. Friday I picked up some new pads and rotors. Also picked up a brand new wear sensor as I only want to do this once. Everything went great!!! I even properly bedded them.

So now I DO have the trifecta going. ABS / DSC / RED BRAKE scenario going. I'm pretty positive I need to clean my speed sensors at this point. But to have all this fail after a quick and easy brake job? Seriously? I just don't buy a smoked ABS control unit. And I have checked my fluid level. Seems perfect. I did remove the cap while I compressed the caliper. Was that a fatal no-no? I doubt it.

Here is the data I received from PA Soft...

Thanks again to everyone for helping me out. You guys are the best!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	636145   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS_Clear.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	636146  

Last edited by briggsk1; 07-06-2016 at 02:10 PM.
briggsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Check fuses, see if you can read Live data for the wheel speed sensors with BMW Scanner 1.4.0.

"Cleaning" wheel speed sensors is usually some form of urban myth. Kind of like cleaning cam, crank or O2 sensors, not really going to get you anywhere. You do not need to clean wheel speed sensors typically unless maybe the pads and rotors were metal to metal and a large amount of metal shavings have built up on the wheel speed sensors, in this case, compressed air would all be needed to "clean" the wheel speed sensors.

Did you disconnect the battery or jump start the car during any of this brake repair work?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-06-2016 at 03:07 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Glen-B

My Ride: 330CI Sport Auto
Open the box where the wear sensor plugs in and check you haven't disturbed the wheel speed sensor plug.
Glen-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Mango
FCPEuro.com-Code: MangoFCP5

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
double check your work. probably yanked a wire or bashed a sensor in

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
double check your work. probably yanked a wire or bashed a sensor in
^This

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 07-06-2016 at 04:03 PM.
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
briggsk1

Thanks guys. Maybe I plug in the the OBD bluetooth and see if I can grab some live data. Until then, maybe I should unplug the battery and take a peek at the wheel sensors. This was suppose to be a simple brake job. No different than any other car I 've done before. Its getting to be I can't even fart next to my car without some like coming on. URGH! My patience is wearing thin with this one.

Thanks again Dudes!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
OBD Bluetooth will not tell you anything about the ABS system or wheel sensors.

You can use BMW Scanner 1.4.0, it should have Live data for the ABS system to include individual wheel sensors and other things like ABS system pressure(s).

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
OBD Bluetooth will not tell you anything about the ABS system or wheel sensors.

You can use BMW Scanner 1.4.0, it should have Live data for the ABS system to include individual wheel sensors and other things like ABS system pressure(s).

^this

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,H&R Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #9
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen-B View Post
Open the box where the wear sensor plugs in and check you haven't disturbed the wheel speed sensor plug.
That's where my money is at. You have to dink with this stuff when replacing the brake wear sensor. Easy to duff the wheel speed sensor while in there.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
BMW-North

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Check the wires as mentioned however the internal fault error is concerning. Pa soft is not near as good as inpa for diagnosis and repair of abs units. You seem to have every possible abs error active so I'd check the harness that connects to the unit (not just the pressure sensor connector - but the main harness) Also try a short drive. Battery disconnect and reconnect.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
BMW Standard tools Part 1
BMW Standard tools Part 2
BMW Standard tools Part 3
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #11
riverwolf

My Ride: 2005 330Cic ZHP
I did pads/rotors/wear sensors a few weeks ago and had a simliar experience. In my case, I didn't get the trifecta, but only got "DSC off" and "brake" warnings together in yellow. Lights came on about 40-50 miles after I'd finished the job. Drove another 50 or so miles with both lights on through several restarts and then just as suddenly as they appeared, they disappeared. And they've stayed off for 1,000+ miles since then. Clearly my brake work, like yours, disturbed something, but I don't know what it was and presumably after enough on/off cycles or miles driven without a trigger, the car decided all was well again. So, depending on how many miles you've already driven, it might resolve itself once the computer sees enough "pass" readings again.
riverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Tom87

My Ride: e46 325i
Lights will come on if your brake fluid level is too low. This happened to me and I topped it up and the trifecta went away.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...fOPxgOPeFWGwKw

E46 performance part reviews and DIYs

Tom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
briggsk1

Ok, but will the red brake light come on if my level is too high???

So I popped of the wheels. Gave everything a decent "go over". Cleaned the wheel speed sensors. Inspected the pad sensors. Blew off as much dust as I could. Checked the fluid level and I am definitely over the Max line. Obviously from compressing the pistons. So can I assume that's where the red light could be coming from? Too much fluid in the reservoir???

Any thoughts on this before I bust out the wife's turkey baster???

Thanks dudes!!!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
Tom87

My Ride: e46 325i
You never know. Just give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...fOPxgOPeFWGwKw

E46 performance part reviews and DIYs

Tom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #15
briggsk1

Thanks again for everything guys. Now I'm trying to hunt down some sort of replacement module or a place to send mine out too. I imagine this will get quite dicey to swap. I will have to crack the brake lines open correct? Which will lead to bleeding, etc? Its not going to be fun as I am just a one man show.

I've seen other posts on who to send the unit out to. They were older posts. Anybody new in the game that can be trusted? Once again, this is a 2002 325Ci Vert. It has a M-Sport package. Do I have some sort of bastard module that can't be repaired? REALOEM is not so clear on part numbers and doesn't seem to be much of help.

Thanks again for everything guys. Once more thing I need to check. The car has been sitting for weeks on end. I do want to do a battery check as I know that can cause the trifecta. I toggled through the odometer command and was rocking 11.9V just sitting and 14.1V fired up, with no dip when turning on the AC blower.

Also, which diagnostic tool is the best to go with these days. INPA? Any hand held scan tools that are an all-in-one?

THANKS GUYS!!!!

Last edited by briggsk1; 07-13-2016 at 09:06 AM.