E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
e46_pt

My Ride: e46
Angry Just another steering problem, P/S Pump?

Hi people, I'm having some problems with my e46.

My steering feels loose, has a lot of play on the steering wheel.

FCABs replaced for powerflex.

Alignment seems ok.

Tyre pressure at 2.5bars.

Ok, I think I've narrow down the suspects. The usual stuff, tie rods, control arms, fcabs, top mount doesnt have play.

I believe the problem is, or the steering rack or steering pump. It doesnt self center very well, and has a lot of bump steer, it has a hard time to bring it to the center, feels very loose.

If the car is pulled up, no tyres on the floor and the steering is locked, if i try to turn the wheel with my hands, it pulls a bit, from the steering rack, because I see only movement by the tie rod axle joint (which it was already changed).

What happens too is, if the car is also on jacks, no tyres on the floor, i can easily turn lock to lock with my hands, very easily.

What makes me think that isnt the rack is, with a little touch on the steering wheel, I can see movement on the tyres, so it seems there isnt any looseness.

Already change sterring fluid.

Should I go for steering pump?

Thanks
e46_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
e46_pt

any help?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
First thing to check for looseness/play is the steering column guibo. Bump steer is probably alignment and maybe rack. Make sure the rack is tight to the subframe. Not centering could also be alignment and maybe rack. I don't see how any of this could be the fault of the pump.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
e46_pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
First thing to check for looseness/play is the steering column guibo. Bump steer is probably alignment and maybe rack. Make sure the rack is tight to the subframe. Not centering could also be alignment and maybe rack. I don't see how any of this could be the fault of the pump.
Thanks for your reply.

Guibo already changed.

Align altrady tried toe in, toe zero and toe out.

Rack is tight to the frame

Next week I'm going to replace my top strut mounts.

I've read that the power steering pump tries to center the steering.

I'm going to try to make a video so you can see my test.

If I make a 3-9 pull to the wheel, with the steering wheel lock, I first get the little lock-to-lock that it usualy gives and them I can bring it a bit more, without the steering wheel actualy move. Its not getting easy.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
e46_pt

I made up my mind and I'm going to change the steering rack.

At the moment I believe mine is 32136753438. Would you sugest to go for another one?

Is there a stiffer steering rack I can install on my nov 99 320d e46?

Are all interchangeable?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_pt View Post
Align altrady tried toe in, toe zero and toe out.
Not following this part. Post your alignment numbers.

Last edited by Dave1027; 10-02-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
e46_pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
Not following this part. Post your alignment numbers.
Alreeady tried front toe-in, zero and toe out, and still the same.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
wallofgrath

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Depends which steering rack you have... there are a number of good threads about racks.. My 330ci came with the crappy TRW steering rack, and I upgraded it to the '02+ version and it is sooo much better. I got a used one and it was plug and play. It made more of an effect than FCAB's, struts, strut mounts, steering guibo, alignment... all of which I did first. Also consider your tires -- are they cheap and old?

Last edited by wallofgrath; 10-12-2014 at 08:48 PM.
wallofgrath is offline   Reply With Quote