E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 109 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #21
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Do not use the ones supplied by Meyle.
As always I will follow every advise but I just want to ask why not to use the Meyle nuts that came with the HD control arm?

Had this job planned for Monday including HD bushings, front springs & struts and rear shocks but it seems I have to pros pone the job till I have the right OE nuts I could try the Stealer but they barely have E46 stuff in stock anymore...
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadiminator View Post
I have this clunk/pop when I driving over a bump or dip. What exactly is the issue here...?

I know its not anything else on the suspension because we replaced all the key parts. What you are describing sounds exactly like my car.
Is it from the rear? Diff bushings? Perhaps from the center, maybe the cross member for tranny or bad tranny mounts?
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
As always I will follow every advise but I just want to ask why not to use the Meyle nuts that came with the HD control arm?

Had this job planned for Monday including HD bushings, front springs & struts and rear shocks but it seems I have to pros pone the job till I have the right OE nuts I could try the Stealer but they barely have E46 stuff in stock anymore...
There's been reports of them breaking. Plus they look extremely poor next to the Genuine BMW nuts which are seemingly military grade. Your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadiminator View Post
I have this clunk/pop when I driving over a bump or dip. What exactly is the issue here...?

I know its not anything else on the suspension because we replaced all the key parts. What you are describing sounds exactly like my car.
Make sure your endlinks are tightened REALLY good.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

The Meyle nuts thing is probably overblown but still I would just play it safe and go Genuine on those.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
Genuine's on the way
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
Genuine's on the way
Good man. Compare them to your Meyle ones and tell me the Genuines don't feel and look that much better.

Last thing you want to think about are your nuts when going around a corner at 80 mph

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Vadiminator

My Ride: 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
Is it from the rear? Diff bushings? Perhaps from the center, maybe the cross member for tranny or bad tranny mounts?
It is definitely from the front, I have been trying to pin-point where exactly but it is tough. I will try taking a look at the end-links and make sure they are tightened. Thanks!
Vadiminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
falcon1209

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Love.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Not sure if mounts of various types are included in the scope of this article. Shock/Strut mounts, Trans mounts, engine mounts, etc.

Just a thought.

Last edited by falcon1209; 07-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.
falcon1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Just suspension.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Why isn't this stickied yet?!?!!?

Hey Jake, you should totally like sticky this thing for maximum stickage.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #31
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

If I request one more sticky from Jake, he's going to fully deeeak out. I know it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #32
Sunspot

My Ride: Sleektop 330ci
Sticky stick stick.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Good stuff, Mango!
Perfect timing as I'm in dire need of a complete suspension refresh.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #34
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
The reinforcement bolts only need replaced once. I took the hit and spent $20 just on bolts while doing the oil sender. When I remove the plate again I will re-use the bolts. They look like normal bolts and have the same density. Yea sure they are designed to shear in the even of a head on collision, but I think they will just do fine. Not to mention they will probably get fvked anyways. If it's 3 years from now after I take it off again, then I'll prob replace the bolts. Not every freaking job.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #35
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
The reinforcement bolts only need replaced once. I took the hit and spent $20 just on bolts while doing the oil sender. When I remove the plate again I will re-use the bolts. They look like normal bolts and have the same density. Yea sure they are designed to shear in the even of a head on collision, but I think they will just do fine. Not to mention they will probably get fvked anyways. If it's 3 years from now after I take it off again, then I'll prob replace the bolts. Not every freaking job.
They're not normal bolts. They are torque to yield bolts and for accuracy and strength, they should be replaced every time that plate comes off. Don't d!ck around with the front structure of your car by trying to save $8. (order them online next time you order oil filters, etc. and they're much cheaper)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #36
Paulscustom

My Ride: 323i
I just replaced my suspension with the stage II kit from pelican parts along with rotors and pads. The kit came with all new hardware also replaced the brake sensors and new Myle JD control arms and bushings. Sense I gave the car to my wife I went mostly OE. Drove over 300 miles today with it. Drives like new.
Paulscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
I went to get an allingment today and he said he couldn't because the rear bushing front control arm (I know it's in the rear not front) needs to be replaced. Can someone explain it briefly to me and what exactly it's called, he didn't do a great job and I want to understand it a little before I continue ordering it and replacing. Thanks in advance
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

you talking about the front control arm bushing right? it's called the front control arm bushing. what didn't he do a great job at? need more info.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I have to do a lot of what is listed here on mine. Going to stick to the control arms and the bushings, tie rods, sway bar links & bushings, RTAB's, and the rear diff mount bushing (clunks when put into reverse). I'm going to do the shocks and struts next year as they aren't too bad. For what I have listed does that all sound right? Anything else I should add while I'm doing those particular things?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
328redleather

My Ride: 328ci white/red
this will come in handy. thanks

2000 328ci alpine white on tannin red leather
328redleather is offline   Reply With Quote