E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
SpcTrvlr

My Ride: 1999 328i
Tranny Problem (Not the no reverse problem)

Ever since I've owned the car it always had the check engine light on with like 8 codes and once in awhile it would shift into what felt like 3rd or 4th gear after going around turns and stay there till I shut it off, and restarted it. But just this past Monday I replaced the fuel filter (who knows when that was last changed) and right after replacing that the light went out. But it would still do the "third gear problem" as everyone that knows me calls it. So I decided to check the fuses for the traction control and whatnot and found one of them was missing. So I replaced it and the problem stopped... till today . I've also narrowed it down to only right turns being the problem. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
SpcTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
SpcTrvlr

Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Did you fix the 8 codes? (Not just reset the light?)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
SpcTrvlr

I didn't reset the light myself if that what you're asking. I basically drove it around awhile doing some errands and it went off by itself, even though I was planning on going to a shop to have em erase the codes to see if they come back.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

Well you need to get to the root cause of the reason the lights are coming on. They indicate a fault within your system. I'd be willing to bet your MAF is one of them and vacuum codes and misfires are the other. Those will do wonders for your shifting.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
SpcTrvlr

Also I don't know if this has anything to do with the third gear problem but i dropped the plastic skid plate under the front end to put a new a/c belt on the other weekend and laying in the plate was what looks to be 6 cylindrical little metal bearings, a rubber seal/ring/I don't know what, and a plastic cap looking thing. I don't have a way to put pictures on right now but I plan on getting some up at some point.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
one of your pulleys probably exploded. double check.
also post the error codes.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 07-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
SpcTrvlr

If one were to have exploded wouldn't the belt have come off? Because I'm pretty sure all my pulleys are ok and everything is working.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
SpcTrvlr

Thanks for the diagram though, I'll save that for when I change anything in there.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yeah you would have found out pretty quickly if your pulley blew up. Maybe its parts from a prior failure before you owned the car. Who knows

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
SpcTrvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Well you need to get to the root cause of the reason the lights are coming on. They indicate a fault within your system. I'd be willing to bet your MAF is one of them and vacuum codes and misfires are the other. Those will do wonders for your shifting.
I was thinking of cleaning/replacing the MAF sensor, probably do that in a little while once I find the DIY. I also have some of the codes, if that would help any, from an OBD II scanner (I know it's not exactly the right scanner tool to use but it was a free scan from autozone).

P1188
p1189
p0420
p1250
p1770
when this one was wrote down she messed up a number so its either p1011 or p1111
p0775
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
SpcTrvlr

I cleaned the MAF earlier, never got to take it for a spin though. I plan on an oil change and changing the spark plugs this weekend, probably even the brake pads. Who knows what else I'll get into with it.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
SpcTrvlr

I finished everything but the pads, didn't have enough time, but it didn't really seem to change anything. But I found another thread with other people with the same problems as me, and they all suggest a re-flash or software update. It apparently fixed their problems, so I just might look into that.

Here is the thread for anyone who sees this and has the same problem: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=639785

Last edited by SpcTrvlr; 07-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
check engine, problem, transmission, turning