E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
beebop

My Ride: e46 M3
Will the E46 M3 become a collectors like the E30

So what do you think could there be a change of direction in price of the E46 M3? Eg. The CSL is already a pricey collectors since less were made which makes it limited plus the CSL mods

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebop View Post
So what do you think could there be a change of direction in price of the E46 M3? Eg. The CSL is already a pricey collectors since less were made which makes it limited plus the CSL mods
Doubt it, there were too many made and IMO the price gap between the recent CSLs on the market recently and the typical M3 because they have all been very low km examples and even at those prices it still has burned more than any M3.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Keep in long enough in mint condition and it will..

There were alot of VW beetles made and they are relatively sort after these days

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
forzamilan10

My Ride: '04 325Ci Sport
IMO any pristine example, especially in individual colour with relatively low mileage will be a collectors item. I dare say it's BMW's most recognised celebrated chassis, of the modern era anyway.

'04 325Ci + MYSTIC BLUE + EISENMANN RACE EXHAUST & MID-PIPE
forzamilan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
I think you first need to address the e36m chassis. It already appears to be showing signs of following the e30 market.

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
It's not the point of this thread,but I enjoy taking advantage of the performace of my M right now by driving it. Keeping it waxed under a car cover in a climate controlled garage so it will have low milage and a few thousand dollar higher asking price for the next guy is not worth it to me. I'll do my maintenance and modding and worry about long term value when its time to upgrade myself.
For a car to actually be valuable enough to be collector car,IMO, it must cost more than the price of the current model of similar car. So an e46 M3 would have to cost significantly more than a 2012 M3 to even be close. I don't see that happening even in the next ten years. We will see.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
ABCD

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
I reckon it wil be a classic. I often get pangs of regret at selling mine but I had plenty of enjoyment from it and it was time to move on.
Only about 1000 were delivered to Australia and a well maintained unmolested version will be highly sought after in my opinion.
The E46 M3 after all is the last of the "true" M3s ie in line NA 6 cylinder motor and came out at a time when the M badge actually meant something.
ABCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
Davconelectric

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebop View Post
I think the price will keep falling until it hits maybe $20k for a clean example. The csl maybe a collectors car, but it's still falling in price as well. What was the price tag on a new csl?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
brandtner

My Ride: BMW
$230000
brandtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
wc325i

My Ride: stick 330
I personally think all the M cars that was made before the e9x M3 will become collector cars. Even though prices are dropping now for e36, e46 etc , but 20 years later, clean examples of those m3s will be like the current e30 m3. Very sought after
wc325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Oz 330

My Ride: 2004 DYII M3 Vert
A good clean example will never (not soon anyway) sell under $30k. Just because the cost to keep it as a good clean example.

There will be less and less good clean examples as time goes on.

Even now the good ones can command $10 - $15k premiums, because some really want the e46M3 and only want really good ones, which become proportionatly rarer as time goes on ...
Oz 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Yess ( but 20yrs+ is a looongg time!)

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #13
Jello63

My Ride: 2004 E46 318i Sport
I have been in the automotive trade for a lot of years (started when the E21 was a new car ). Depending on the make, model, year, number manufactured pretty much any car will at sometime become a collectible item to someone. From the well know lemon, yes there are Holden Camira enthusiasts to GT's GTR's etc... M3's will have no problem becoming a collectible car in the future, the numbers on the road will dwindle, you'll get the petrol heads who want one, but won't look after it, flog the ring out of it & it will end up as a wreck, but the enthusiasts will always look after their cars, they are the ones that will become another enthusiasts must have car.

There was a time where I almost bought an E38 RT Charger a very long time ago, was for sale for $2500.00, what are they worth now? Anywhere form $50K up. SLR500 Torana's, had a mate bought one in the mid 80's in great condition for $4000.00, seen them go for as much as $85K.

Even the humble old workhorse XD-XF Falcons are now gathering a big following & being restored & good examples are no longer cheap, like the used to be (the car you'd buy as a cheap hack runaround), models like ESP now pull $15-$20+K.

I have seen lots of cars over the years go from something you'd sell for a few hundred to now being an enthusiasts dream machine. Hindsight is a bitch lol, I have quite a number of cars that when I bought them were cheap to buy runabouts, now if I still had them, some enthusiasts would kill me to get hold of the car lol.