E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
Akonion

My Ride: Mercedes C230
Red face Coming back home to BMW - A quick story and a re-introduction

There is a bit of a story to this, so bear with me. Before I start, I must say that my parents did not buy me these cars. I worked since I was 13 to save up for my first car. I always wanted a BMW so I worked for it. Anyways, let us begin...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A long long time ago, on this forum I once posted about a lovely E46 328Ci (Brick red, 5 spd manual, loaded) I had recently procured from a mom and pop shop. I bought it when I was 16. (odo. said 120,000 kms on it, about 65,000 miles) I LOVED it to bits.

After almost a year of ownership I took it to the local stealership for the first time to have an alignment done. Seeing as it had bad bump steer and I did not have the proper equipment to align it properly. They RECOGNIZED the car and asked me how much mileage was on it, I answered what the odo read.

They said "That can't be right", went out and checked it. Sure enough, it wasn't.

It had 440,000kms on it. (roughly 280,000 miles).

After that, and a quick call to my family lawyer, I got a full refund on the car...

- Fast forward 2 weeks -

I had begun a full time summer job and my rents are having to drop me off and pick me up EVERYDAY.

I am desperate for a car, I refused to look at anything that wasn't RWD/European. So BMW and Mercedes were my only options. I was not going to buy private or from a low end dealership after my first experience.

Mercedes got a (2007) C230 Kompressor in that was within my price range. BMW still didn't have anything. My parents were the ones holding the pen for the paperwork seeing as I was still 17 at the time.

The REFUSED to let me get a professional to bring up another E46 for me from the states. They said it was time I got a "Mature, practical, four door car".

After a bit of a faff they decided to let me have the Merc, I was getting desperate so I gave up the fight for another E46.

Boy was that a big mistake.

The car has NO character whatsoever. It wallows through the corners like an obese person going through the queue at a McDonalds. The auto box in it is afraid to rev high. The ABS comes down like a hammer on an anvil through every corner, even with ESP (DSC) off. The exhaust shouts just about as much as a drunken mute. To top it all off it weighs almost the same as an apartment block.

I , from the second week of ownership and on, have HATED the merc.

My rents loved it though, they ALWAYS took the keys without asking me. Even when I asked them to cease doing so.

I talked to my parents about wanting to get another BMW, they simply laughed and said, "Your car is great, why would you want to get a different one?"

Three simple words; freude am fahren. Something they have NEVER understood.

- Current Day -

The Merc is now paid off and in my name. I am also now 18 years old. Took a year off afrer HS. I have my education paid for (on my own accord) and things in general have gone REALLY well for me.

The time is now, to get the E46 I have dreamt about - 2006 330Ci, 6spd manual. Loaded to the brim. Low mileage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess all I wanted to say is, it has been a while E46Fanatics. But it is good to be coming home

2006 E46 330Ci or R171 SLK <---- MUST ACQUIRE
Akonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Pixxy

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonion View Post
There is a bit of a story to this, so bear with me. Before I start, I must say that my parents did not buy me these cars. I worked since I was 13 to save up for my first car. I always wanted a BMW so I worked for it. Anyways, let us begin...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A long long time ago, on this forum I once posted about a lovely E46 328Ci (Brick red, 5 spd manual, loaded) I had recently procured from a mom and pop shop. I bought it when I was 16. (odo. said 120,000 kms on it, about 65,000 miles) I LOVED it to bits.

After almost a year of ownership I took it to the local stealership for the first time to have an alignment done. Seeing as it had bad bump steer and I did not have the proper equipment to align it properly. They RECOGNIZED the car and asked me how much mileage was on it, I answered what the odo read.

They said "That can't be right", went out and checked it. Sure enough, it wasn't.

After that, and a quick call to my family lawyer, I got a full refund on the car...

- Fast forward 2 weeks -

I had begun a full time summer job and my rents are having to drop me off and pick me up EVERYDAY.

I am desperate for a car, I refused to look at anything that wasn't RWD/European. So BMW and Mercedes were my only options. I was not going to buy private or from a low end dealership after my first experience.

Mercedes got a (2007) C230 Kompressor in that was within my price range. BMW still didn't have anything. My parents were the ones holding the pen for the paperwork seeing as I was still 17 at the time.

The REFUSED to let me get a professional to bring up another E46 for me from the states. They said it was time I got a "Mature, practical, four door car".

After a bit of a faff they decided to let me have the Merc, I was getting desperate so I gave up the fight for another E46.

Boy was that a big mistake.

The car has NO character whatsoever. It wallows through the corners like an obese person going through the queue at a McDonalds. The auto box in it is afraid to rev high. The ABS comes down like a hammer on an anvil through every corner, even with ESP (DSC) off. The exhaust shouts just about as much as a drunken mute. To top it all off it weighs almost the same as an apartment block.

I , from the second week of ownership and on, have HATED the merc.

My rents loved it though, they ALWAYS took the keys without asking me. Even when I asked them to cease doing so.

I talked to my parents about wanting to get another BMW, they simply laughed and said, "Your car is great, why would you want to get a different one?"

Three simple words; freude am fahren. Something they have NEVER understood.

- Current Day -

The Merc is now paid off and in my name. I am also now 18 years old. Took a year off afrer HS. I have my education paid for (on my own accord) and things in general have gone REALLY well for me.

The time is now, to get the E46 I have dreamt about - 2006 330Ci, 6spd manual. Loaded to the brim. Low mileage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess all I wanted to say is, it has been a while E46Fanatics. But it is good to be coming home
Welcome back! Post some pics when you get your dream car
Pixxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
"They said "That can't be right", went out and checked it. Sure enough, it wasn't.

After that, and a quick call to my family lawyer, I got a full refund on the car..."

out of curiosity how did you get your money back.. isn't buyer beware?
just wondering as i purchased a stupid 01 Jeep grand cherokee as a secondary vehicle, which seems to be a lemon since i purchased.. one issue after another.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
"They said "That can't be right", went out and checked it. Sure enough, it wasn't.

After that, and a quick call to my family lawyer, I got a full refund on the car..."

out of curiosity how did you get your money back.. isn't buyer beware?
just wondering as i purchased a stupid 01 Jeep grand cherokee as a secondary vehicle, which seems to be a lemon since i purchased.. one issue after another.
It depends on the situation of which the vehicle was purchased.

When I bought my car it was advertised as having 120,000 kms. The bill of purchase had "TMU" written on it, but we provided reasoning for that acronym not being common knowledge for most consumers.

The main reason I got the guy into a corner was because on the transfer of ownership form there is a specific area that pertains to odometer modifications. He marked it off as having the original/un-modified odometer. Which was crap. We talked to the dealer that sold him the car wholesale and they said they sold it with the original odometer of 430,000 kms. Got a written statement from the wholesale dealer. Presented the gentleman who sold me my car with the paperwork and he was surprisingly compliant with my demands

So I guess my advice to you would be; follow the paper trail. If the car is obviously a lemon and was advertised/sold to you without mention then it is a government issue. Most states/provinces have laws that cover vehicles considered lemons. There is a certain criteria but most of the time if you are spending 3k+ a year in non wear/tear items they will probably entitle you to a full refund/reimburse of funds lost (that you can prove) in regards to vehicle repairs.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixxy View Post
Welcome back! Post some pics when you get your dream car
Thanks!

The guy I hired brings up lambos and Ferraris from the states on a regular basis. So a E46 should be a cakewalk for him.

Can't decide what colour I want though :/ My first car was a crimson red (Brick red, to be exact) and I really liked that colour. Was thinking White or black this time around. Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Infinitysquared

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330ci
Go alpine white on cinnamon interior!

Or titansilber on imola interior. Maybe. I have silver and like it, but I think it tends to age a car.
Infinitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Brilliant (re) introduction. You seem to have a good head planted on those shoulders, especially for an 18-year old. Explains why you've done well for yourself too.

When you finally get that E46 it will be oh so sweet.

On a side note I will agree with the Mercedes analysis somewhat. I wouldn't give it the 'obese person' comparison, but it does feel like a rental car. Doesn't feel like a European car at all. That said, ours with 68k miles has been uber reliable, nothing but gas and oil. For a first MY, that's incredible. As dull as it may be, that thing runs like a top and has no rattles or creaks.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Brilliant (re) introduction. You seem to have a good head planted on those shoulders, especially for an 18-year old. Explains why you've done well for yourself too.

When you finally get that E46 it will be oh so sweet.

On a side note I will agree with the Mercedes analysis somewhat. I wouldn't give it the 'obese person' comparison, but it does feel like a rental car. Doesn't feel like a European car at all. That said, ours with 68k miles has been uber reliable, nothing but gas and oil. For a first MY, that's incredible. As dull as it may be, that thing runs like a top and has no rattles or creaks.
lol I was speaking in hyperbole for the most part. The car has been very reliable and it is well made. I also bet that some people would kill to drive what I take for granted.

I have had to do some electrical fixes, but for the most part nothing mechanical.

Mercs tend to kick their ass out in the corners though. They are set up for luxury but try too hard to be sporty (ie: sport packages) which is something they are not. So instead of going flat you end up shredding your rear tyres.

It is a minor annoyance

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitysquared View Post
Go alpine white on cinnamon interior!

Or titansilber on imola interior. Maybe. I have silver and like it, but I think it tends to age a car.
I never used to like the cinnamon interior but it has grown on me.

White/cinnamon would be sharp. Need to find a pic of that to see what it is like.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
Pixxy

Quote:
Thanks!

The guy I hired brings up lambos and Ferraris from the states on a regular basis. So a E46 should be a cakewalk for him.

Can't decide what colour I want though :/ My first car was a crimson red (Brick red, to be exact) and I really liked that colour. Was thinking White or black this time around. Any suggestions?
I prefer black ext...its stylish classy cool mysterious sexy
Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #11
goosu94

My Ride: z3
Quote:
I agree, when it's clean. I've had a black car for a year and it's a love hate relationship washing it every 2-3 days. Steel gray is a great alternative
goosu94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #12
Infinitysquared

Quote:
I never used to like the cinnamon interior but it has grown on me.

White/cinnamon would be sharp. Need to find a pic of that to see what it is like.
Hmmm.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1342254020.646912.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	460717  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Akonion

Quote:
I do fancy black However, I would be cursed with hearing this song every time I saw it...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #14
Akonion

Quote:
Hmmm.....
It's like a Bavarian pop tart Icing on the outside with an apple cinnamon interior.

+1

Isn't that ///M3 exclusive though?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
Akonion

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosu94 View Post
I agree, when it's clean. I've had a black car for a year and it's a love hate relationship washing it every 2-3 days. Steel gray is a great alternative
Black cars...Look better in the shade.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #16
Infinitysquared

Quote:
It's like a Bavarian pop tart Icing on the outside with an apple cinnamon interior.

+1

Isn't that ///M3 exclusive though?
Not anymore! :shifty eyed:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...725670&page=22
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
Akonion

Quote:
0_0 Sounds borderline insane.... I like it :]

Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
Pixxy

Quote:
I do fancy black However, I would be cursed with hearing this song every time I saw it...

lol
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
Infinitysquared

Quote:
0_0 Sounds borderline insane.... I like it :]
Tons of great pictures on page 23. And if you go to the last page, he's had it for 2 years at this point with no wear outside of the bolster from seatbelt rub (which has taken a toll on my leather anyways, haha)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
Akonion

Quote:
lol
Hehe lol

It is true though They do look better in the shade