E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
cliff101

My Ride: 02 330xi w/sport pkg
Exclamation Diamond Key won't RE-program HELP !

I did the replace you key fob batt. DIY and as far as having the car start it works, but programming it is where it is not. Like the DIY said I turn the key to position 2 (where all the dash lights come on) and within 1 second I remove it and then press and hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. What happens is all the doors lock but only the driver door lock comes back up, all the others remained locked, I pressed the buttons on the key to see if it took and nothing happens, I do the same procedure over and over and the same thing happens, the doors lock but only the driver door unlocks, the programming does't take. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this ?
cliff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Yes. It is either the door lock actuator or the GM5.

There is a module for the central door locking system in our cars called the "GM5". It has the relays for the central locking system inside. These relays are very overrated Tyco relays that easily burn out if your door lock actuator is starting to go bad.
I had mine burn out the first 2 weeks I owned my car I ended up replacing the whole module after finding out the board is double-sided epoxy and coated in a thick layer of silicone. Its very hard to clean and solder to, and I solder for a living. I suggest getting yours repaired by this guy: http://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm

Also make sure your door lock actuators are working fine or it can blow out the GM5 relays again. It actually shorted out my module and caused the wipers to go crazy high speed and all kinds of functions to not work properly until I replaced the whole unit.

Last edited by Bobby330xi; 07-14-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
cliff101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby330xi View Post
Yes. It is either the door lock actuator or the GM5.

There is a module for the central door locking system in our cars called the "GM5". It has the relays for the central locking system inside. These relays are very overrated Tyco relays that easily burn out if your door lock actuator is starting to go bad.
I had mine burn out the first 2 weeks I owned my car I ended up replacing the whole module after finding out the board is double-sided epoxy and coated in a thick layer of silicone. Its very hard to clean and solder to, and I solder for a living. I suggest getting yours repaired by this guy: http://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm

Also make sure your door lock actuators are working fine or it can blow out the GM5 relays again. It actually shorted out my module and caused the wipers to go crazy high speed and all kinds of functions to not work properly until I replaced the whole unit.

ok so you changed the gm5, did they key just start to work or did you have to do the re-programming steps ? (turn to pos 1, hold unlock and press lock 3 times)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
No programming needed. I just made sure I bought one with the exact same part number as what came out of my car.
My driver's door actuator is bad (doesn't always work) so I don't bother using the central locking system until I have a chance to replace it. I don't want to go through this hassle again anytime soon. The rest of the doors work fine.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
cliff101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby330xi View Post
No programming needed. I just made sure I bought one with the exact same part number as what came out of my car.
My driver's door actuator is bad (doesn't always work) so I don't bother using the central locking system until I have a chance to replace it. I don't want to go through this hassle again anytime soon. The rest of the doors work fine.

ok cool thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff101 View Post
I did the replace you key fob batt. DIY and as far as having the car start it works, but programming it is where it is not. Like the DIY said I turn the key to position 2 (where all the dash lights come on) and within 1 second I remove it and then press and hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. What happens is all the doors lock but only the driver door lock comes back up, all the others remained locked, I pressed the buttons on the key to see if it took and nothing happens, I do the same procedure over and over and the same thing happens, the doors lock but only the driver door unlocks, the programming does't take.
I know this thread is a little old, but, I wanted to comment anyway.
There is nothing wrong with the key sync procedure you did. The procedure worked and the key is syncing fine. You are getting the correct lock then unlock confirmation. Just because only the driver's door unlocks does not mean it didn't work. Whether only the driver's door unlocks or all the doors unlock can depend on how the CKM was programmed. For example if key #1 was programmed for only unlock driver's door on first press of the remote then that's what will happen during key sync. If you have other problems with the door locks then that's a completely separate issue from key sync.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff101 View Post
Diamond Key won't RE-program HELP !

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this ?
Maybe it's a TUR-key