E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i(sold) -
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
Unhappy I think I'm Working for a company that doesn't give raises!?

Ok, so I'm currently in a little predicament, I work for this VoIP telecommunications small company in Massachusetts and I've completed my 1st year 2 weeks ago. Also I've asked a couple of my co-workers who were hired several months before me and none of them got a raise nor a review. Now I know this company has been making a butt-load of money because there are always surpassing their quota, and bragging about it. As for me I've been doing an excellent job in their Data Network department. Most of the guys in my department have very little knowledge of understanding networking and how it works. They usually ask me for help or need me to create them configurations so they can just upload them to our equipment, and if I ever ask for help my boss usually tells me to figure it out, so I basically don't ever ask for help anymore. Now I was talking to my uncle and he told me to write a email to my boss regarding a yearly review with maybe a pay increase, and at first that sounded like a great idea but then I thought to myself. "Why am I going to contact my boss about a yearly review if he can't acknowledge the fact that I'm doing a great job and it's been one year? and since I will taking my CCNA test in March I might as well don't say a word and apply somewhere else because by the looks of it there's no future here. Do you guys think that's a smart choice because if I get my CCNA here then there still not going to pay me that kind of money.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Volvoguy

My Ride: Uber User
Others may disagree with me here, but I would suggest you play it cool for now. One year is barely scratching the surface. Even if they are beating quota and estimates, bonuses will go to sales (front office) and c suite for managing the business and seeing it through.

Hypothetically should you get a raise it would be no more than 5%-10%( I am surmising based on my past experiences, and that would be incredibly generous. Most companies give 2%-5% for back office employees). Not sure how integral you are in the back end of the operations but you should wait it out until you become

a. essential in the success of the business in regards to your role.
b. become irreplaceable in that position.

If you are neither I would suggest you sit on it. You may not get as much of a pleasant review as you are hoping and depending how much you make the upside may not be as rewarding as you are hoping as well. Also could potentially put you in the cross hairs or attention that you may not be seeking.

Last edited by Volvoguy; 02-04-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Volvoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Your boss is probably busy and may have no formal management experience. Sounds like the company itself probably doesn't have a formal review process.

What you should do is right down all of the goals you have had for the last year and how you've accomplished them. Also define what you've done that is above and beyond. With this you can make a case about deserving a raise.

Schedule a meeting with your boss and be very direct. Lay it all out for him and tell him you deserve a raise and show him with all that data.

Worst thing they say is no, and then you know it's a waste of time. If they're in a raise merit increase freeze, ask for a promotion to get a bump in pay. Sometimes you have to make people uncomfortable to get what you want, but if you're really that good do you think they'd want to lose you over 5-10k a year. I would guess not

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 02-04-2013 at 08:18 AM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
First off, what's your age, education level, certification level, and years of paid IT experience.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
no one will just "give" you a raise... you want something, go out and get it/ask for it. I would ask for a performance review every 6 months.

whats the worst they can do? say no... what if they say yes? won't know unless you ask.

my 2 cents... speaking of cents, Canadianland got rid of the penny today.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
TayloMade[07]

no one will just "give" you a raise... you want something, go out and get it/ask for it. I would ask for a performance review every 6 months.

whats the worst they can do? say no... what if they say yes? won't know unless you ask.

my 2 cents... speaking of cents, Canadianland got rid of the penny today.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
If they don't have a formal review process, setup an intermittent review meeting with your boss to discuss goals, feedback, promotion readiness, and taking on more responsibility to meet your career goals.

I would flat out ask if they administer raises and bonuses on an annual basis or if they are given real time as warranted. If your boss doesn't know this, take his job or leave the company.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Lets not rule out the fact that reviews/merit increases might happen at a particular time of year for this company. If this happens say, in the summer, you probably didn't hear much of it last year since you were relatively new, however that shouldn't have stopped them from at least mentioning the process to you.

I agree with the others however. If there is no performance reviews, goals to set, etc... I would initiate that with your boss on a somewhat regular basis. The first step into getting a merit increase or a promotion is to take on new responsibilities, and grow out of your current position. Your initiative is their first impression...
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
TayloMade[07]

lol ^
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i(sold) -
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
First off, what's your age, education level, certification level, and years of paid IT experience.
27 years old, I have a bachelors in Networking Engineering and I'm enrolled for my masters, I also have a ATSA/IN(adtran) and my I'm going to pass my CCNA test in March with addition and I have 2 years experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
Your boss is probably busy and may have no formal management experience. Sounds like the company itself probably doesn't have a formal review process.
Yes that's exactly what it is, its not formal here at all. And all the people that I work with are more at the help desk level with no education just experience and I was excited that I would work with people with experience but it turns out they're pretty much "script kiddies" and apply password resets for customers., there also afraid of asking for raise because they don't want to lose their job.

What you should do is right down all of the goals you have had for the last year and how you've accomplished them. Also define what you've done that is above and beyond. With this you can make a case about deserving a raise.

Schedule a meeting with your boss and be very direct. Lay it all out for him and tell him you deserve a raise and show him with all that data.

Worst thing they say is no, and then you know it's a waste of time. If they're in a raise merit increase freeze, ask for a promotion to get a bump in pay. Sometimes you have to make people uncomfortable to get what you want, but if you're really that good do you think they'd want to lose you over 5-10k a year. I would guess not

Yea I understand that and it makes sense but this place throws a red flag at me because since they don't have formal reviews. It leads me to believe that there is no room to growth. And just a few days ago my boss noticed my CCNA book and he said "are you looking for a new employment with that book?" and he said because he literally doesn't want me to get it. He just wants all his techs to get Network + certs.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Eh, sounds like your boss was hired as the "IT guy" when the company was young, but the infrastructure has grown past his comfort level.

The only way you're going to find out whether or not your company increases compensation and how they do it is to ask. Simple as that. The fact that you were not told up front is a red flag to me.

Best advice I can give is that the IT world is cut throat. It's too saturated. You always needs push your education. Certs are nice, they show that you have a certain skill set, but to me they are not the most important thing. I'll promote someone who has shown the willingness to lead over someone else with more certs. The end game is to lead. You'll do less button pushing and more managing. You should set yourself up for that.

Take this time go get your certs. You really need to get experience with IDS and IPS if you want to be marketable. If you haven't made sweet love to an ASA yet, you need to start. More importantly though, take it upon yourself to fill in leadership gaps. Will it piss your boss off? Yeah. Who cares. Dog eat dog world. You'll either get the attention of his leadership and take his job or you'll get excellent resume fodder for when you transition to another company.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Schedule 1:1 and ask!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Ynot

My Ride: 997
I say you get all your certs and leave, your best promotion is another job. Even if you get 10% raise, it's not that much. Depends on how in demand IT is in your area. I've known many people double their pay by moving around all the time and finally settle into a place they really like with a lot of potential.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Guest021715
Account closed.

Play the race card.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I say you get all your certs and leave, your best promotion is another job. Even if you get 10% raise, it's not that much. Depends on how in demand IT is in your area. I've known many people double their pay by moving around all the time and finally settle into a place they really like with a lot of potential.
or, get that 10% raise then get a new job requiring even more money to get you in

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote