E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #1521
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
I'm a little disappointed in this thread.
Miles ruins everything
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #1522
mkodama

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed in this thread.
So am I. Miles needs to make more posts.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #1523
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
So am I. Miles needs to make more posts.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #1524
mkodama

k.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #1525
mkodama

Caligula is a grossly disturbing video. For some reason I feel like albee would like it, as it disturbs me in a way not too different than Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #1526
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
You and I have the same taste in disturbing and distasteful films; the only difference is that you're in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #1527
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
You and I have the same taste in disturbing and distasteful films; the only difference is that you're in denial.
*shudders in fear*

Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #1528
mkodama

crap, 11pm already? Ugh... need to go to sleep before midnight. I've been feeling weirder and weirder as the weeks been going on with these 6 hour of sleep nights.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #1529
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Have you made up your mind with the Jeep? A quick search shows that your budget will get you a mid-late 90's Wrangler with upwards of 150k miles. I think Jeeps are built pretty well, but I don't know if they become expensive to maintain with that many miles.

I think you can get a newer Japanese SUV with lower miles for the same price. An 01-03 Pathfinder comes to mind.
Not really into the Pathfinder, but if I find a good deal, I'll consider it. My primary search has been on Wranglers from 1995-2001. In fact, I checked out two in Burbank today and two in Oxnard, they were all a bit beat up do to off-roading. I actually tested one off-road today, the thing is like a tractor in low gears. I'm willing to spend in the upwards range of 6-7k if I find something good.

I'll probably try to see another one in the morning.

Quote:
I feel bad for the people who are here illegally. For some of the people, the USA is the only place that they know, so yes, it is their home, but it's the principle of the matter that bothers me. The dream act would cost the taxpayers a lot of money. Why should we have to pay for the wrongdoing of others?

Getting through college is already hard enough for USA citizens. The dream act would only make things harder. That's not very fair.
I understand your concern, but the illegal children have no fault in this matter, especially if they can out-succeed the average American citizen in academic credentials. If not, deportation would be the other option.

Quote:

Win the American heart through its stomach.

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #1530
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Zhp View Post
Not really into the Pathfinder, but if I find a good deal, I'll consider it. My primary search has been on Wranglers from 1995-2001. In fact, I checked out two in Burbank today and two in Oxnard, they were all a bit beat up do to off-roading. I actually tested one off-road today, the thing is like a tractor in low gears. I'm willing to spend in the upwards range of 6-7k if I find something good.
I think you might need to stretch your budget to the max in order to get a decent Wrangler. After my search last night, I realized how well they hold their value.

Quote:
I understand your concern, but the illegal children have no fault in this matter, especially if they can out-succeed the average American citizen in academic credentials. If not, deportation would be the other option.
I understand that it's not their fault. I agree 100%. I know some people who are in this situation and I think that they're in a really bad spot. My heart wants to help them, but my mind says otherwise.

Last edited by Wes; 08-17-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #1531
Mo_Zhp

Quote:
I think you might need to stretch your budget to the max in order to get a decent Wrangler. After my search last night, I realized how well they hold their value.
I actually found two really clean ones, but they were sold within days. This guy I met today had a 2005 Wrangler with $20K in mods. The thing looked like a beast, I regret not taking a picture.

Quote:
I understand that it's not their fault. I agree 100%. I know some people who are in this situation and I think that they're in a really bad spot. My heart wants to help them, but my mind says otherwise.
Yea. I just think that anyone who is innocent should be given a chance. Just my perspective.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #1532
Mo_Zhp

This looks pretty good..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25625266&Log=0

Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #1533
Wes

Quote:
Yea. I just think that anyone who is innocent should be given a chance. Just my perspective.
I agree. If there was a way to allow these people to go to college without passing the cost to the taxpayers, I would have no problem.

I really don't care about people who are here illegally. When the colonists first settled in the USA and kicked out the Indians, you could say that they were here illegally.

My problem lies within the abuse of the system. Many illegal immigrants (of every ethnicity) abuse the system. It's time that the USA crack down on this sort of thing.

Last edited by Wes; 08-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #1534
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
What about the Americans who abuse the system? If the illegals don't do anything productive, they get deported (understandably, this isn't their country). But if the Americans don't do anything productive, they get away scot-free simply because this is their country? Why don't they get sent away? Immigration is a problem in many countries, even those countries people emigrate from, and I don't think there are many Americans who settle into other countries illegally these days (relatively speaking), but that's a little one-sided to say that illegal immigrants are sucking the money out of US taxpayers.

I'm still not too crazy on these illegal immigrants-mostly because my family and I went through the costly, tedious process of coming here legally, but I can't deny the fact that they do the dirty jobs when no one else wants to. Which brings up another issue: Americans all want high-paying jobs that require an education, but can't be bothered to go to school. College? Yes, it's hard to get into, but not impossible, and the options are there. Yet the moment "someone else" takes the job, they're suddenly "stealing our jobs" and when they take advantage of the education system, "they're stealing our opportunities/money". Are we all supposed to be doctors and lawyers? And who's going to take over the low-paying jobs if we are? We don't want it, but we don't want to share it. This mentality reminds of me of people who leave food in the fridge until it spoils, yet forbid other people from ever touching it.

/rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.

Last edited by albeee; 08-17-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #1535
Wes

Indeed, many Americans abuse the system, but just because some citizens do it, doesn't make it any less wrong for illegals to do the same thing. Citizens who abuse the system (and are caught) have a whole lot more to lose than illegals do. That is beside the point, however, as I am speaking strictly about illegal immigrants.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #1536
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
I agree. If there was a way to allow these people to go to college without passing the cost to the taxpayers, I would have no problem.

I really don't care about people who are here illegally. When the colonists first settled in the USA and kicked out the Indians, you could say that they were here illegally.

My problem lies within the abuse of the system. Many illegal immigrants (of every ethnicity) abuse the system. It's time that the USA crack down on this sort of thing.
If cost is your heartburn, that's not a very strong argument. Average cost for for public education per year is roughly $8k. Assume that, on average, those that qualify for the Dream Act (keep in mind, there is a cap for total participants), attend school for 10 years, to use a round number. For the remainder of their lifetime, they will FAR exceed that total in terms of what they put back into the economy in consumer purchases, sales tax, income tax etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1537
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
What about the Americans who abuse the system? If the illegals don't do anything productive, they get deported (understandably, this isn't their country). But if the Americans don't do anything productive, they get away scot-free simply because this is their country? Why don't they get sent away? Immigration is a problem in many countries, even those countries people emigrate from, and I don't think there are many Americans who settle into other countries illegally these days (relatively speaking), but that's a little one-sided to say that illegal immigrants are sucking the money out of US taxpayers.

I'm still not too crazy on these illegal immigrants-mostly because my family and I went through the costly, tedious process of coming here legally, but I can't deny the fact that they do the dirty jobs when no one else wants to. Which brings up another issue: Americans all want high-paying jobs that require an education, but can't be bothered to go to school. College? Yes, it's hard to get into, but not impossible, and the options are there. Yet the moment "someone else" takes the job, they're suddenly "stealing our jobs" and when they take advantage of the education system, "they're stealing our opportunities/money". Are we all supposed to be doctors and lawyers? And who's going to take over the low-paying jobs if we are? We don't want it, but we don't want to share it. This mentality reminds of me of people who leave food in the fridge until it spoils, yet forbid other people from ever touching it.

/rant
and then there's Albeee who eats cake and goes on man-dates at his county job.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #1538
Wes

Quote:
If cost is your heartburn, that's not a very strong argument. Average cost for for public education per year is roughly $8k. Assume that, on average, those that qualify for the Dream Act (keep in mind, there is a cap for total participants), attend school for 10 years, to use a round number. For the remainder of their lifetime, they will FAR exceed that total in terms of what they put back into the economy in consumer purchases, sales tax, income tax etc.
So if these people are allowed to attend colleges and apply for financial aid, aren't other students (citizens) who are also applying for financial aid getting shafted?

I see your point that some of these people will contribute more in the long run, but passing the dream act is sending the wrong message to the world. If we make things easy for illegals, they're just going to keep coming.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #1539
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
So if these people are allowed to attend colleges and apply for financial aid, aren't other students (citizens) who are also applying for financial aid getting shafted?

I see your point that some of these people will contribute more in the long run, but passing the dream act is sending the wrong message to the world. If we make things easy for illegals, they're just going to keep coming.
Negligible. I'd argue that an illegals parents are very likely to be working the crap jobs that Albeee references, and tax dollars are pumped in either through the IRS or employer withholding. Where do financial aid dollars come from - those tax dollars. Contrast this with the legal, welfare recipients who aren't working and already receiving federal assistance.

I'll take a PERSON, legal or illegal, that wants to earn an honest living, contribute to this country any day of the week over someone who doesn't.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1540
Wes

Let's just enslave illegal immigrants and use them for hard labor.
Closed Thread