E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #1721
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
All of that is irrelevant.
How else do you go hunting in the country side? Do you walk there?

lol, peasants.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #1722
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
Hmm, 5 good seats or 8 bad ones? Also, 8-PLUS? Unless you're talking about Asian sizing standards, no SUV, luxury or otherwise, will fit more than eight people.
8+ means 8 and more. If >8 would be more than eight. duh...

And 8 bad ones? The LR4 third row is so small and compact they are an optional extra.

Last edited by mkodama; 08-20-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #1723
Wes

Quote:
Yes, I believe the Equus is a nice car, and I would buy one with my own money, but that's beside my point as well. My point was Toyota went wayward in terms of marketing the LX. Lexus is already a luxury brand, and the LX-Series is already an off-roader. But I digress. I think for carmakers, in order to be taken as seriously as their more established competitors, they have to price it accordingly. At least that's their reasoning...can't say I agree. They still undercut the competition by offering more standard equipment, but if you're looking at just sheer numbers, they're no longer that different.

And with the Equus, you say that now, but any carmaker who leaps in price range is always absurd at first. When BMW launched the E30 in...1984(?), they were already known for building luxury cars, though probably not so much in the US. That's why people were shocked that the price went up from $8,000 (from the E21) to $13,000-big money back then. In any case, $8K or $80K, that's a 40% increase, which is a lot.
Toyota is an interesting company. They make a ton of money off many of their models. This allows them to produce cars such as the LX and LFA, for example. Both very nice, but at a price that only a very small amount of people are willing to pay.

When I say that the LX is not priced properly, I say it in the sense that it is not priced properly if Toyota wants the car to compete with other cars in its class. Toyota knows that the LX is not their bread and butter, but they can afford to keep it around at a ridiculous price because some people will want it anyway. I think cars like that are less along the lines of "come buy me!" and more along the lines of "See? We can make a car as nice as the Europeans!"

Hyundai on the other hand.... They're trying to separate themselves with the Genesis and Equus line, but Hyundai is pretty much know to build bad cars. Lexus has been around for over 20 years so they've gained some recognition and Toyota can afford to market Lexus alongside the European companies, but Hyundai really needs to reduce prices if they want their luxury lines to succeed.

When the LS400 first came out, it was priced significantly less than the 7 series and S class, yet had many of the same features. That's what put Lexus on the map and that's why Lexus is where it's at today. Hyundai, not so much lol.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1724
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
How else do you go hunting in the country side? Do you walk there?

lol, peasants.
People who go hunting in the country side don't drive 80k Lexus SUVs, old Jews do.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1725
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
8+ means 8 and more. If >8 would be more than eight. duh...
"+" or "plus" or ">" all mean "more than". This is basic arithmetic. Also, no aristocratic hunter would dare cram him/herself in the back seat of a truck. LOL, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #1726
mkodama

Quote:
People who go hunting in the country side don't drive 80k Lexus SUVs, old Jews do.

I'd probably drive an older G-Wagon and just leave the family at home and take 1 or 2 old chums.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #1727
mkodama

Quote:
"+" or "plus" or ">" all mean "more than". This is basic arithmetic. Also, no aristocratic hunter would dare cram him/herself in the back seat of a truck. LOL, peasants.
Nope, your logic is flawed. For either of those to be considered arithmetic, you would need an additional number after the plus sign or before the greater than sign. Without the additional number, it's simply an abbreviation for words.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #1728
Wes

Quote:
I'd probably drive an older G-Wagon and just leave the family at home and take 1 or 2 old chums.
lol @ chums

Your posts always send a steady flow of blood to my penis.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #1729
mkodama

Quote:
lol @ chums

Your posts always send a steady flow of blood to my penis.

Your posts 4muse me as well.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #1730
albeee

Quote:
Toyota is an interesting company. They make a ton of money off many of their models. This allows them to produce cars such as the LX and LFA, for example. Both very nice, but at a price that only a very small amount of people are willing to pay.

When I say that the LX is not priced properly, I say it in the sense that it is not priced properly if Toyota wants the car to compete with other cars in its class. Toyota knows that the LX is not their bread and butter, but they can afford to keep it around at a ridiculous price because some people will want it anyway. I think cars like that are less along the lines of "come buy me!" and more along the lines of "See? We can make a car as nice as the Europeans!"

Hyundai on the other hand.... They're trying to separate themselves with the Genesis and Equus line, but Hyundai is pretty much know to build bad cars. Lexus has been around for over 20 years so they've gained some recognition and Toyota can afford to market Lexus alongside the European companies, but Hyundai really needs to reduce prices if they want their luxury lines to succeed.

When the LS400 first came out, it was priced significantly less than the 7 series and S class, yet had many of the same features. That's what put Lexus on the map and that's why Lexus is where it's at today. Hyundai, not so much lol.

You can't really compare the two. Lexus was conceived to be a luxury name. Many people were aware that it was a rebadged Toyota, but because it had a different name, it didn't have the stigma, and people were less put off paying a lot of money for a Toyota. Hyundai is working their way up as a builder of cheap cars, and further back, as a maker of bad cars, and that is a harder route. If you look at the Lexus portfolio from when they were launched, every model was a luxury car. If you look at the Hyundai portfolio now, it ranges from the Accent right up to the Equus.

Two marketing-related things going on here:

Naming: Toyota named their luxury division "Lexus", which is easier for Americans to pronounce. This helps a lot. Canon used the same strategy when they switched from "Kwanon" (in the 1930s-40s), and they've been successful ever since. Hyundai stuck to their name-sounds too ethnic. Harsh, but that's the reality of it.

Perceived value: Companies that sell any kind of product always add a really expensive model to their range to push more of their bread-and-butter models or their slow-selling ones. This is a marketing tactic, where they will offer a marginally better product at a MUCH higher price so that consumers will look at the next alternative and say, "Well, this is a wayyyyy better value!" That means that people will only buy the expensive alternative because they want the bragging rights, at the risk of losing the value-for-money game.

Quote:

Last edited by albeee; 08-20-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #1731
albeee

Quote:
Nope, your logic is flawed. For either of those to be considered arithmetic, you would need an additional number after the plus sign or before the greater than sign. Without the additional number, it's simply an abbreviation for words.
Well, your English is flawed, but we're not arguing about that, now are we?

Quote:
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #1732
mkodama

Quote:
Well, your English is flawed, but we're not arguing about that, now are we?
Nope, because that would be beating a dead horse. Tonight, your logic and reasoning is on the dinner table.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #1733
albeee

Quote:
Nope, because that would be beating a dead horse. Tonight, your logic and reasoning is on the dinner table.
Is it a dead horse if you keep making mistakes from time to time?

Quote:
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #1734
Wes

Quote:
You can't really compare the two. Lexus was conceived to be a luxury name. Many people were aware that it was a rebadged Toyota, but because it had a different name, it didn't have the stigma, and people were less put off paying a lot of money for a Toyota. Hyundai is working their way up as a builder of cheap cars, and that is a harder route. If you look at the Lexus portfolio from when they were launched, every model was a luxury car. If you look at the Hyundai portfolio now, it ranges from the Accent right up to the Equus.
You won't find a single Hyundai badge on the Genesis or Equus models. Hyundai is trying to separate their luxury line, but they're doing it in a half-assed way.

Since the Genesis came out, I've said that if Hyundai wants their luxury line to succeed, their luxury cars need to be branded as something different. They need to have their own website, dealerships, etc...
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #1735
mkodama

Quote:
Is it a dead horse if you keep making mistakes from time to time?
Yeah, it's just like an animal that is dead but still has a twitching leg.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #1736
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
As requested by Dave, my neighbor's 3.0CSi with 77,000 miles.

Yes I'm quoting the pics too.

Dead sexy.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #1737
albeee

Quote:
You won't find a single Hyundai badge on the Genesis or Equus models. Hyundai is trying to separate their luxury line, but they're doing it in a half-assed way.

Since the Genesis came out, I've said that if Hyundai wants their luxury line to succeed, their luxury cars need to be branded as something different. They need to have their own website, dealerships, etc...
That's the general consensus in the automotive press when word of the Genesis came out. That Hyundai was trying to sell a $30K+ car meant they were trying to attract to a different market, why didn't they go all the way? In any case, I think they're doing a slightly different strategy than the Japanese "Big Three"-instead of classifying brands by price range (Scion/Toyota/Lexus), they're doing it by "new vs. old"-Hyundai attracting the more traditional (older median age) buyer and Kia being the more avant-garde and going after younger buyers with a more approachable name and daring styling throughout the range, not just a few models. And even for that to succeed, Hyundai would have to rebadge the Veloster as a Kia.

Quote:

Last edited by albeee; 08-20-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #1738
albeee

Quote:
Yeah, it's just like an animal that is dead but still has a twitching leg.
Your English is as dead as a horse and the twitching you mention is what we do when you fob out.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #1739
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:

Not much competition.
None in fact. Even if you dislike the current livery the Toyota LC is just about the most durable, unstoppable and eminently capable vehicle on the planet. They don't die, they can do anything. Warlords in Africa and drug lords in south America buy them because they know the military cant build anything better. Remember when Top Gear proved you can't kill a Toyota P/U, if they ran the same test on the LC they could have driven it out of the destroyed building, piloted it across the Enish Channel like a ferry, and dropped a motor home on it and nary left a scratch. Find someone who has one of these things and spend some time with it. Observe that it never ever breaks, ever, or seems to age. Notice that it's hard to differentiate (other than style cues) from a brand new model even when it's ten years old (and feels like its barely and comfortably starting to break in). Check out how it holds like 70% Msrp after ten years and 150k miles.

Ive owned a bunch of rides including some of the time honored trucks such as the full sized Burban and the Finder... Nothing anywhere even closely compares with the LC. It's easily the best made automobile on planet Earth. Meet one, love one, pat it's bumpers, sniff its tailpipe... You'll be converted its true, it's in a class all alone.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #1740
mkodama

Quote:
Your English is as dead as a horse and the twitching you mention is what we do when you fob out.
k.

Am I supposed to be mad?

Closed Thread