E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
petik

My Ride: 04 M3 Convertible
Question Locked key in trunk

Yes, I know I am an idiot for having done this...

I bought an '04 M3 vert a few weeks back. Only came with one key. I went to the stealer and ordered an extra regular and a valet so I'd be alright. Anyways, those are on order for now.

As I was loading up stuff into the trunk this evening, I put the keys down and closed the trunk. Realized it about 1/100th of a second later.

Now I had already found out that in the vert the trunk-pop button does nothing unless you have the key in the ignition - makes sense since you wouldn't want anyone to open you trunk if you leave the top down.

I have two questions:

1) Will the new key from the stealership work without being first activated in the ignition to pop the trunk? If so, I'll just wait until I get it. The weather for the next few days is safe and the car is locked other than the top being down.

2) If it won't work, is there a way to get into the trunk through the center hatch? The hatch appears to have a small subwoofer behind it, but it's facing into the trunk. Seems that at the least I may have to drill out the screws holding the woofer, but I don't want to start ripping into it if I'm going to get stuck afterwards.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated.
petik is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
ive done this before. I have a non-m coupe. Me and a buddy had to pry out the driver side window alot(be VERY careful though), with a piece of strong plastic. It is shaped like a ramp. Then, had something metal, long enough to hook onto the door handle and pull it. Then I had to take my speaker out, to put my arm in the hole to grab the keys. The keys were way by the door handle. So I used something to push it towards my arm. since the car was opened manually, I had to do this. The trunk button doesnt work when alarm isnt deactivated.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
petik

i can get into the car no problem since the softtop is down. the car is not even locked, just that on the convertible without the key in ignition the trunk button does nothing.

now how easy was it to pull the speaker? it seems like all the screws are from the inside of the trunk...did you break anything when you removed the speaker?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Is your glovebox locked? Try and get inside it to short the wires of its latch. If you can do that then touching the rubber pad under the trunk handle should open it.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
petik

Yep, I always keep the glovebox locked...I did a truly phenomenal job at keeping myself out of this car...good idea though!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
If you can open the door,pull back the rubber boot,loosen the single torx screw that releases the door lock cylinder. Pull the door lock assy from the door. Use a screw driver to turn the lock switch that is right inside. A #3 Phillips works perfect. Please don't short out wires or pull speakers if your door still opens. This method literally takes 1 minute. The car will now be unlocked and trunk can be popped.
I'm sorry if this doesn't work because it is a vert but people need to know this method. Maybe using the door lock switch you can close the vert top,then unlock the car and open the trunk. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
petik

This is no-go on a vert. The center console lock button locks and unlocks the doors freely, but the trunk remains locked until the key is in the ignition (and turned to at least position 1).
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by petik View Post
This is no-go on a vert. The center console lock button locks and unlocks the doors freely, but the trunk remains locked until the key is in the ignition (and turned to at least position 1).
I think this is only true since the glove box is locked.

If the glove box is unlocked you should be able to use your button even without the key, but since your glove box is locked this is still a no go.

I started a thread about the oddities of the E46 glove box compared my E36 last year...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=838499

Good luck getting it opened though. I think the key comes programmed and ready to go.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
I think this is only true since the glove box is locked.

If the glove box is unlocked you should be able to use your button even without the key, but since your glove box is locked this is still a no go.

I started a thread about the oddities of the E46 glove box compared my E36 last year...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=838499

Good luck getting it opened though. I think the key comes programmed and ready to go.
My 2005 330ci does not need to have the key in the ignition to open the trunk - but I leave my glove box unlocked. since I believe it locks when I lock the doors. 1. If your doors are locked, you can use the center console 'lock/unlock' button to unlock the doors. 2. If the glove box is locked, you still need to find a way to unlock it.
I like the idea of going through the rear pass-through. I would locate where the handle inside the trunk usually hangs, and try to grab it and pull it with a bar with a hook - think fishing rod style - so as to minimize space needed in the pass-through. -- Good luck!
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:

1) Will the new key from the stealership work without being first activated in the ignition to pop the trunk? If so, I'll just wait until I get it. The weather for the next few days is safe and the car is locked other than the top being down.
I think it should, but will not know for sure till I get my new key in a couple of days.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
pull the rear seats out?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
petik

Talking Solved!

OK, this was MUCH easier than I anticipated.

After re-exhausting all the possible unlock button/trunk button/glove box options, I figured I would try and take out the center pass-through where the sub is. The sub is facing into the trunk so I fully expected to have to drill out screws from the back.

I took the back cover off only to find a bunch more screws so I thought "heck let me see if i can just push this in". The whole thing is on hinges! It popped open like nothing, which makes sense since you may want to still use it as a pass-through. After that it was a broomstick's reach to the safety hatch lever and voila!

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Only down side is that the vert is more vulnerable to having your trunk broken into if you like to park with the top down.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Glad it all worked out

It would be a bit harder on an older vert since we don't have the child escape handle.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
petik

Thanks.

Got my keys from the dealer today. The other keys would have worked for manually opening the doors and trunk even without being activated. Kinda useless to know for me right now, but maybe it will help someone else.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
pauljcl

My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
OK, this was MUCH easier than I anticipated.

After re-exhausting all the possible unlock button/trunk button/glove box options, I figured I would try and take out the center pass-through where the sub is. The sub is facing into the trunk so I fully expected to have to drill out screws from the back.

I took the back cover off only to find a bunch more screws so I thought "heck let me see if i can just push this in". The whole thing is on hinges! It popped open like nothing, which makes sense since you may want to still use it as a pass-through. After that it was a broomstick's reach to the safety hatch lever and voila!

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Only down side is that the vert is more vulnerable to having your trunk broken into if you like to park with the top down.
Well done! Congratulations! Tks. for writing up the solution!
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Yup, vulnerable is the answer on that ****...

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Lmao same but my friend closed the trunk I only have one key also but thank good my top was down i jumped opened up the ski hatch bag and digged and digged lol I got the key in the end it took a bit
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
Be glad you had access to the interior of the car. I've read a number of threads about coupes/sedans where this situation (only one key, locked in trunk) has happened and they were well and truly hosed.

Oddly enough, it happened to my dad in the mid-70s with a 3.0s sedan (guess that's where I got the BMW disease) - 150 miles from home. My grandmother had to rummage through a hot, closed up house to find the spare key and send it to us!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
ArchHibb

My Ride: 2004 330cic
Petik,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but hoping you can clarify something for future forum members who search this topic. When this happened to my wife, we had to undo all of the screws that attach the subwoofer to the steel bulkhead separating the trunk from the passenger compartment. Once removed, the sub falls into the trunk and you have access.

The subwoofer is hinged, but it swings INTO the trunk and the latch release is on the TRUNK side to prevent opening from passenger compartment. Was your setup different? If you were able to just push open your sub, get the latch checked/fixed so you keep your trunk secure.
ArchHibb is offline   Reply With Quote