E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Sitting in my car; extremely rough idle

I'm waiting out the storm in my vehicle, and after sitting parked for about 10 minutes, contributing to the dying ozone layer, my idle dropped to a pinch above 500rpm and the car is shaking violently.
I've had a rough idle cold-start before but it was nothing like this.

If I press the gas and raise the rpm it will feel normal, but once I release the pedal and let the rpm drop to idle again I can hear the engine sputter a bit, almost dying, but then regains itself to a mere shaky stance with a low idle.

Ive read about the MAF regarding cold-starts but is that the same relating to a rough idle about 10 minutes into sitting in park after driving for about 45 minutes?

It was normal and felt so stable and smooth but then suddenly the entire car started shaking violently. It still is. I restarted it about 5 minutes ago (before I posted this) and it again started the violent shaking, but again not immediately.

It's like sitting in that earthquake again just no earthquake. Before the violent shaking it didn't even feel like the car was running.

I'm on my cell phone, powers out as far as I know, and I would like to pinpoint something specific as I live in a city and I am not trying to pull my car apart on a side street when I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
That can be anything, man. See custom user title.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Egh. I don't want to take it to a mechanic, but I also cdon't want to take a bunch of guesses and start replacing or cleaning things that are unrelated. It sucks even changing the oil on a side street.

I don't know man, the engine was seriously shaking the car in every direction.

Also, on a phone, not sure what the custom user title is
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

I'm guessing no codes otherwise you would have mentioned it? Is it still shaking? just a one time thing? need more info to go by. when it does start shaking, does the shaking go away when you give it gas? your ICV and everything else in the car is probably effing with you.

My custom user title is "JFOJ or GTFO"

it basically means replace your entire vacuum system and clean anything that is idle-intake related.

I've JFOJ'd my ICV, TB, DISA and MAF three times in the last three-five months. Needless to say, my car idles beautifully.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Baltimore

My Ride: 325ci
spark plugs, engine coils, and ICV is a good place to start. How many miles do you have? Is your check engine light on?
Baltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
JayKayo
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to JayKayo
Had the same problem in my old '05 325Ci, it was the crank case valve. Replaced that and it was back to normal.
Also did the idle control valve just in case. But I know what you mean - it would never shake after I started the car since the RPM would rise but once it leveled, it would vibrate up and down and you will be able to hear the exhaust going nuts.

I forgot what I replaced exactly but I know for certain it was a plastic part and it was idling like that because it was cracked and air was flowing irregularly.
JayKayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

this is what happens when you dont heed PM advice and instead discuss and pay attention to mod/stance threads. op you've been on here enough to see JFOJ's advice, haven't you? more maintenance, less mods.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
when you first cold start. take the expansion tank cap off and see if coolant gushes AKA small guiser out the top. if so then its headgasket time

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Jesus, how can we go from an occasion rough idle to a head gasket??

Deal with the basics and simple things first.

As Mango mentioned, start by reading the first link below in my signature.

Could be something pretty basic, could be a bit tougher to find.

Time to also consider fuel delivery as well, but that is touched upon in the link as well.

MAF would not be high on the radar initially.

Good luck.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggerwagon View Post
when you first cold start. take the expansion tank cap off and see if coolant gushes AKA small guiser out the top. if so then its headgasket time
Really?
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
DDNPresident

My Ride: 2004 325i (E46)
Send a message via AIM to DDNPresident
Quote:
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNPresident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Quote:
Really?
This is news to me
Jury is still out on this though.

Lusticles.. I had the same problem, I cleaned my ICV and that cleared up a lot of my problem. When I get my CCV done, that will hopefully smooth everything out the rest of the way.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Time for an Audi
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
happened to mine...real rough idle on cold start, perpetually low coolant, and puff of white smoke on start up. pulled head after cap off test and pressure tested cooling system, found small break in headgasket.

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
steveninchicago

My Ride: 2003 325i
Congratulations. Sounds like you may need a new ccv. Welcome to the club. Sounds familiar to me.
steveninchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
relangmai

My Ride: 318 E46
i had the same issue when a/c was off, idle went down to around 500 and felt like the engine was about to shut down. went to dealer and got the idle RPM tune similar to with a/c on - problem solved. there must be setting you can work with to have proper idle RPM otherwise my mechanic wont able to do it. anyone know the coding for setting the idle RPM?
relangmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I think the computer knows to idle at 700 rpm...if it's not holding that, I'd agree it could be many things. Any of the things mentioned it could be (icv, stuck tb, intake leak, bad maf, etc.). You didn't say you got codes, so I'd say a trip to autozone for free code reading...which might get you closer.

I actually also first thought the OPs issue sounded like 'low fuel' (nothing personal!)...and if it's shaking badly, then whatever is causing the shaking might also seem worse because motor/trans. mounts are on their way south...but that's just another guess!

Play the odds, OP...begin with the simple things that should have been done but which haven't been yet...then go hunting for other things. My money is on some combination of dirty icv/tb and a small intake leak (which is probably the lower intake boot, but which could be many, many things).

Let us know how you make out!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I had a similar issue for 3 years on my 01' 330ci. I had the 500rpm idle, and started experiencing rough starts, and even 2 no starts/extra long cranking starts. I changed the fuel filter a few months ago, and all of my idle issues and hard starts went away. So, if your fuel filter is old, or as in my case original (@122k miles), then you know you need to change it anyway, so take a chance on a quick and easy fix. I only changed it because it was original, and I started having the hard starts, but I was lucky, and it cured all of my idle issues as well.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote