E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Phone stuck in air duct under front passenger seat

Morning everyone
My son's phone fell out his pocket and its some how found its way under the front passengers seat and into the air duct(?))
Luckily it's s green iphone and I can see a bit of the phone but I don't have a clue how to get it out
I've read up online and the same thing has happened to a few people
I've lifted the carpet up as much as I can but still don't have a clue how to get it out
I'm guessing I'll need to take the seat out; is this something I could do myself or shall I need to take it to a garage ?
Thanks in advance for any advise 0
BROWNEYEDGHIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Sorry forgot to say, it's a compact
Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
One of the resolutions that I've seen is accelerating quickly and slammed on the brake for it to pop out (of course do this on an isolated road with no one around) stay safe.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Thanks for replying, I've tried that and no joy
It's stuck quite deep , I'm stumped how it's ended up there
I think removing the seat is the best way to go, Im just not sure if this is something I can do myself
Old 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Most likely you will have to. There are 4 bolts that hold it down and it will come out (the seatbelt is held onto the bottom of the seat with one bolt as well) but when you do this job make sure to disconnect the battery for 15 min before starting the work or the airbag light might come on.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Balkanac

My Ride: 325ci M-Sport
I had this happen to me in my mate's M3. heavy accelerating got it strainght out
Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

But that's an M3!!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Thanks guys
I'll take your advice Solidjake and have a go at it shortly
It's so frustrating and god knows how a phone would end up stuck there
Thankfully it's green so I can see a tiny bit of the phone lol
Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
If it is stuck in the vent that faces the rear of the car, you need to drive in reverse (accelerate slowly) then slam on the brakes as hard as you can, keep that damn steering wheel straight
Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
Can you use gorilla tape stuck on the end of a stick to coax it out? If you can get the tape stuck to it... It may pull it out.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

I've tried that, I've also tried a magnet, a wire coat hanger
As Solidjake had suggested ; taking the seat out is probably the way to go
I don't know how to disconnect the battery and im looking up how to do that just now
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Balkanac

My Ride: 325ci M-Sport
Don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know how to disconnect the battery, maybe you should take the car to a mechanic
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Yeah maybe you are right but there's no harm in reading up on it and if I think I can do it I will and if I'm not confident in doing it I won't
I've never had the need to know these type of things before
I've been ripped off in the past and through this site I've learned quite a lot and done a few minor repairs with the advise from a couple of nice guys on here who helped talk me through things and it was really appreciated
Old 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #14
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Disconnecting the battery is easy. 5 minute job.

Its in the trunk on the passenger side under the black cover.
The cover is held in by clips that are secured to the trunk floor with 2 screws. Take those 2 screws out and take the panel off from over the battery.
Then just disconnect the negative from the battery.

BTW, the tools in the trunk tool kit are all you need to disconnect the battery.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Since you can see it, how about one of those grabber things. Something like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-...0401/202505170
Old 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
BROWNEYEDGHIRL

Hi
I managed to disconnect the battery no bother it was straight forward
I managed to get the the front seat out, carpet up but lost the plot and ended up cutting through the black plastic air duct thingy to be able to get the phone which was quite far in
I'm still stumped and cannot see how the phone ended up getting stuck especially in such a small place
I have put some mesh over the opening of the air duct so I never have to go through that again
Thanks guys for all your replies with your help and advice, I really appreciate it
X
Old 06-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #17
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Glad to see you got your son's phone back. They're right up there with wedding rings on popular items to be lost in the air ducts.

For anyone in a similar situation, or looking to prevent it, here are some threads that that might spark an idea or two. There’ve been a number of creative/funny ideas over the years on extraction and prevention.

If you want a good read, see: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=441369
Here’s one person's solution: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=790367
Another with better photos: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...2#post10557946
Yet another using drywall tape: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...3#post10682580

Spirited driving, vacuum cleaner, and coat hanger are the methods that seem to have worked the best. Although, as you discovered, cutting through the air duct is usually the fastest, most direct route.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #18
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNEYEDGHIRL View Post
Morning everyone
My son's phone fell out his pocket and its some how found its way under the front passengers seat and into the air duct(?))
Luckily it's s green iphone and I can see a bit of the phone but I don't have a clue how to get it out
I've read up online and the same thing has happened to a few people
I've lifted the carpet up as much as I can but still don't have a clue how to get it out
I'm guessing I'll need to take the seat out; is this something I could do myself or shall I need to take it to a garage ?
Thanks in advance for any advise 0

This happened to me. Just reversed hard and slammed on the brakes.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote