E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Cool Dirty Peeling Rubber Cupholder Console Trim Fix For $2 in 5 Minutes PICTORIAL DIY!

If your Tan Beige or Gray Console and Cup Holder Trims are currently dirty, peeling and look gross then read on. New replacement parts on the console trims range anywhere from $20 to $90 and tend to just get dirty and start peeling months after you replace them. If you have kids or pets then it could be a matter of days before your new cup holders and console trim get scratched and dirty like before.

The problem is the BMW console trim surface is coated with a rubberized sticky top film that tends to pick up oils, dirt, stains and scratches real easy. the resulting effect is a console that looks like Freddy Krueger's face with rubber peeling off left and right.

A few weeks ago I came across this single post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3FORNOW View Post
yes, hot water and comes off so easy.... I did the hole center console n 45' top
I will post pics today
....and it dawned on me that I should try it.

Here are my results:

I renewed my Euro Tray trim in about 2-3 minutes of scalding hot water soapy scrubbing. After 3 minutes the dirty peeling rubber literally came right off.

For this to work the water MUST be hot as in scalding (not boiling hot, but scalding) so wear heavy rubber yellow dish gloves.

The only supplies used was

-a 99 cent bottle of Dish washing Liquid
-a 50 cent scrubby sponge
-a pair of 50 cent dish washing rubber gloves

This picture here is the finished product with all the ingredients I used to get the trim new again. I didn't spend a penny since everything was already located in my kitchen including the scalding hot water. All free.

During the process you will see how the underside of the dirty rubber top coat will start to show through. NOTE that it will be a lighter, cleaner and newer looking Tan so get ready to either do this to your entire Tan colored console base and armrest trim as well to get an even match.

The finished product will result in trim that looks brand new and silky to the touch as the removal of the dirty rubber top coat will procure a totally new console.

I saved myself about $50 having to replace this Euro Tray trim when a bottle of 99 cent dish soap, free hot water and a 50 cent scrubby sponge did the trick. Like I said my console base and armrest trim was new and recently purchased so the new light Tan of the clean trim matched up perfectly with the new console base.

The ONLY downside is the tan underneath will be newer and lighter looking than it was before so you may end up having to do the entire aged console base and armrest trim bits to get an all around even match.

ENJOY!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Dude, making a DIY thread after someone else (DGBMW11) wrote about it and not giving him any credit is LAME:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBMW11 View Post
Ok I found some time today to clean up my cup holders and coin holder.
I let them soak in HOT water and I put a little bit of soap in for good measure. After about 20 minutes the coating started bubbling up in a couple places and generally came off with no problem. It took about 15-20 minutes of scrubbing with a lightly abrasive pad (like a soft dish pad, not the hard green ones). The only tough spot were the holes where the cups go. The coating was pretty stubborn but I got it the best I could.

Here are some of the results, enjoy!

Left some coating on the underside to show the difference.

You can see how its not totally perfect but it is 98% percent better than it was in the beginning... (still some water left in it)
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Dude, making a DIY thread after someone else (DGBMW11) wrote about it and not giving him any credit is LAME:
My bad I didn't realized the picture response post came from a different member. I thought it was also E36M3FORNOW's pictures because he said he would post pictures later in that thread so I thought it was a second set of pictures from him.

I can easily fix it and edit the original name for credit into my DIY. It is no biggie. Why didn't you just PM me instead of calling me LAME in my own thread.

I thought you were cooler than that dude!

Last edited by delmarco; 06-10-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
delmarco

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Actually I gave CREDIT TO CORRECT PERSON!

It was NOT DGBMW11 (no offense to him) that posted the idea FIRST nor was it DGBMW11 (again no offense to him) that posted the picture results FIRST! In Fact I posted in the same thread before he even appeared in the thread as someone who was interested (after I expressed interest) in doing it too.

It was the sole person E36M3FORNOW whom I gave credit to in my DIY that responded with this solution idea at post #6th in that Thread started by theinfamousdrew.

Quote:
I did, it took me 20' and it looks awesome. All u need is hot water... the rubber paint comes off like butter!
Every response that follow his post, including mine, asked him for pictures and guess what?!

5 posts later in that thread he posted pictures!

Quote:
took these pics with my iPhone, not the greatest quality...

And guess who responded for the first time in that thread ever at post #18 to E36M3FORNOW pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBMW11 View Post
Subscribed for more results on this!
Wow, that doesn't sound like a response of someone who deserves credit from me for the idea does it?

Even worse is I responded at post #16 to the pictures before DGBMW11 even appeared in the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Wait! you got these result (black plastic console doors and cupholders) by only washing the factory OEM rubberized coating off with hot water and soap?!!

That is really hard to believe so I will have to try this on my beige trim cup holder
So how exactly should I credit him with giving me the idea when I saw the pictures and discussed the DIY even before he showed up in the thread?

Next time read what you write before clicking the submit button and CONSULT me before calling me out or replying to my DIY Threads!

Regardless of where or who the idea came from I took the time to take pictures and communicate the idea behind this and all the other DIYs in MY Threads!

And I ALWAYS give credit where it is due! You of all people should know that more than anyone else here!

but I forgive your error you are still a good guy and good friend to the forum.

L8R[/I]

Last edited by delmarco; 06-12-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
well this has turned into a pissin contest
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
well this has turned into a pissin contest
Its not like that.

Lemon made an honest mistake. I may be angry right now but Lemon has always been and is still a very good friend and a awesome member and I will be the first in line to admit that his knowledge and threads has helped me in a lot of things that I've done.
Had he just PMed me it would've been different but I HATE being called out for sh!t I didn't do. If I made a mistake I own up to it as I was about to do in my first response to him calling me out, but when I saw he was wrong I was pissed.

I mean all dude had to do was click back to the first page of that thread to see that I was in that thread before the DGBMW11 even replied.

Last edited by delmarco; 06-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
so after soaking in water and scrubbing, it comes out like that. i would next hit it with krylon paint (if it were black)

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
rmodys

My Ride: 2001 325i
I'm afraid to try this on black since it might actually look discolored... Hmm, anyone want to go first?
rmodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
jrindos

My Ride: 2003 M3
May try the black on some old parts this weekend
jrindos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
E36M3FORNOW

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, 02 M3 SMG
I'm glad it worked for you. Mine looks like new and I dont have to worry about scratch here and there!
E36M3FORNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
_k

My Ride: e46 coupe
best DIY, very simple solution for a very annoying eye sore. cheers +1
_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
ufjason99

My Ride: 2008 335i
Worked great! Love that I finally got rid of all that mess!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
Shrimpjuiceo3

My Ride: 2003 325i 5 speed
great write up. I'm headed to the garage now to clean my center console +1
Shrimpjuiceo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
delmarco

thanks guys.
improves resale interest as well for those wanting to sell their cars soon. no one wants a BMW with a messy console.

btw. I also did a part two for the cup and coin holders.

see below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
This is a second edition to a previous thread I created a week or so ago.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=770651

This time I found my old coin holder trim (that I took off long ago when I bought my car) that was sitting under the kitchen sink awaiting to be thrown out. The dealership sells these for about $50 and they sell in brand new condition on eBay or online from $25 and up so I didn't care to keep it or sell it. It was really old looking, dirty and just all around shredded.

Anyway, finding it over the weekend made me think that it was going to be perfect for a DIY model for showing the community step by step how to do this relatively easy and unknown trick that will renew and restore the trim to factory new.

Here is a before and after picture to demonstrate how serious I am:

This DIY takes about 5 minutes or less and only requires hot water, dish soap and a dish sponge with a scrub back: All things you will find in any household kitchen for free.

Start with a boiled kettle of water:

Get your trim, scrubbie sponge, soap and mix it all together with a little elbow grease and hot water:

As you scrub and wipe the rubber top coat will melt right off the top revealing a clean brand new under layer:

With in 3 to 5 minutes....voila!

Then you replace everything: Here I bought a new Cup Holder unit trim from the dealership for my car at the time I bought the car that I never used since I also got a Euro Tray from eBay. So you can see how factory new the Coin Holder unit trim is next to the factory new Cup Holder.

One side note that I mentioned in the previous DIY is that when you renew the tan beige trim the plastic under the rubber will look slightly lighter than other trim that still has the rubber coat on. So you may end up having to do the entire console trim units and base around the armrest to get everything looking factory new and OEM.

You can see what I mean in this picture.

Last edited by delmarco; 07-31-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
do you think this will work for black pieces too?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Mpsmith1

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZty NaZe One! View Post
do you think this will work for black pieces too?
Has anyone tried this with a black console and can show some photos? I'm curious how much lighter it makes it... If not, I will try it this weekend and post some before and afters.
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Mpsmith1

Wow! I couldn't wait to try this, so I started tonight. The results are amazing! I didn't take many "before" pictures, but here are the photos I have. It makes them much shinier than the old, dulled rubber coated parts that I had. I kinda like that. I was concerned that it would make the black parts a lighter shade, but that didn't happen. I'd say it made them brighter.

You'll notice that I have two sets of the cupholder and console in these photos. That's because I just bought a replacement armrest and the seller threw in the entire console too. So I put those in the photos for comparison. I tried to take the photos in the harshest light so you could see every defect.

I've still got a little work around the edges, but this is a big improvement. It takes some effort to get this accomplished, but its well worth the effort. Take a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3122.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	391257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3123.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	391258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3124.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	391259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3125.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	391260  

Name:	DSC_3126.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	391261   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3127.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	391262  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
Mpsmith1

I worked on them a little more today, then finished the console off with some 303 Aerospace protectant. Once again, I put the parts next to a console that came with an armrest I bought.

Considering the horrible condition this started in, I couldn't be happier with the results. They are not perfect, but a VAST improvement.

Take a look!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3133.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	391546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3134.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	391547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3135.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	391548   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3136.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	391549  

Name:	DSC_3137.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	391550  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
delmarco

glad that worked it looks so much better!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
mustang67

My Ride: 2000 328I
Thanks for the info on this just did it to our 2000 328i and it looks great.

Mustang
mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote