E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
super98lsc

My Ride: 330i zhp
Rear Axle Freeze of Doom.....

First I know there are threads out there with respect to removal of rear axles, wheel bearings, hubs etc. This is a share of my frustration and a question to those who have survived the same..

04 330i ZHP 6spd, hit a curb a year ago due to guy running a red light. Police wouldnt do anything about it and it would count against me to claim and fix the car. So after driving with 2 bent wheels and bad hubs/rear bearings I finally had the time to tackle this. Removed all the braking, e-brake, axle nut, etc.. I have a full shop with air etc, no big deal. Axle removed from differential housing laying loose, axle will not come out of the drive flange for ANYTHING! Slide hammer... hahahahh no chance, air hammer, nothing but start digging into the axle, sledge hammer no, bigger sledge hammer no, ( bench 300 easy and was nailing this thing) torch combined with all the above no luck. 3 Jaw puller rated at 8 tons broke into 3 pieces and shot across the shop. Remove the whole arm, setup in a jig on my 20 Ton hydraulic press. Pressed slowly, added heat, added more heat, added more pressure.. TONS of penetrating oil. Finally left it overnight in the press under pressure hoping it might break free whilst I slept. Woke up this morning... still froze in place, looked like maybe had moved... (in my dreams) so I decided hmm just add a little more force... BAM no more trailing arm. Even local BMW shop couldnt get the axle out. Had to source a used rear assembly including the hub, axle, drive flange and trailing arm. So im 400 in the hole and still havent changed a single bearing. This is insanity...
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
bummer
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I had something like that on my e36, but I don't think it was quite as bad. Luckily, one of my neighbors at the time was a machinist that made tools for a living and was able to make me something get it out. Between that tool, a torch, a 3 foot breaker bar, 2-3 cans of penetrating oil, and a sledge hammer, it finally gave way about 2 hours after he gave me the tool. Turns out the PO had replaced that bearing once before and used loctite rather liberally on the splines during reassembly. If I knew who the PO was I would have killed him that night.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Next time, try using cold, instead of heat. Heat expands parts. You had a shaft stuck in a hole. If you spray Freon on the shaft, it will contract, which is what you want it to do. I used to work with machines with lots of pressed in bearings, that we also used Loctite green bearing adhesive when they were pressed in. We found that freon was a much better way to remove a bad bearing or a stuck bolt. You want to make it a few thousandths of an inch smaller, which cold will do, not larger, which heat will do.
People have success with heat, because it makes the metal a little more plastic, and that combined with a lot of pressure or beating the hell out of it will work. But, a lot of times the metal does not return to its proper state, and very often the hole you removed the part from will be permenantly enlarged. This is especially not good for spline fittings, since it can cause some play, which will eventually trash the splined shaft, and the broached hole.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 07-26-2012 at 12:26 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Had some similar problems on my e30.
Long story short NOTHING worked and I ended up using an ax.
This was during reassembly but an ax was literally the only tool that remedied my problem.
I feel your pain.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
Just did the rear bearings. The youtube diy (no speciality tools) is so deceptive, I couldn't get the bearing out until I got a bearing tool - period! I was also stuck at the half shafts but eventually got them out with a mini sledge and a 2.5'' diameter stainless steel bar used as a punch.

Then of course had problems at fitting them back. I had to file clean the splines for ages before they barely got in so I can put the nut on.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I've done just about every job you can do on a BMW over the years. I have to say doing the rear Wheel Bearings is a job I have said i'll pay a shop to do. It's just a job that always takes much longer and you can get stuck on seemingly forever. Most of the work I do for my personal enjoyment and interest, but that job leads even 30 yr shop mechanics swearing. Add that often DIYers damage the race installing and leads to premature failure.

I feel for you. Good luck
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
OP, that is insane. I've never had that much trouble with an axle, but all bets are off once you're in an accident.
I've talked to another fanatic about his car that had a damaged trailing arm which bent just enough that it wouldn't release the bearing. Of course they only realized it after pressing/pounding on it unsuccessfully.

The rear bearings aren't a cakewalk, but they're much easier with a good puller. Good luck with the rest.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
BMW left the protective coatings off lots of parts to save weight in the ZHPs.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
wut?