E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Barbaros

My Ride: 02 TIAG M5
Exclamation M3 6 speed swap.

Hey guys! I guess i am ready for some major upgrades and performance mods. I have been wanting to do a manual swap for some time and now i came across this M3 6 speed tranny, so why not. I know i will need a shorter drive shaft, clutch, pedals, shifter, new cluster and other little stuff... Also DME software needs to be changed or reprogrammed, or whatever lol. ...and no i don't want to buy a manual car, i like this car a lot and i have invested so much $$ on it already, i know how it works, i know what it needs, i know how it reacts so i will work on it until it dies. Does anybody have experience doing this or sth similar? Please chime in. I will be updating this thread with the info of this project's process. Thanks guys!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Stop by motorcepts and see what they have to say about this. And if its worth it and how much it would run you.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
So, you already got the M3 tranny? How much?

I think you should be fine with non-M 6 spd driveshaft. As far as I know, the length of Getrag M3 6 spd tranny is exactly the same as 'ZHP' ZF 6 spd tranny. I can measure the ZF tranny's length to compare with yours and to confirm that 'zhp' driveshaft fits. Good luck to find it used, btw. I've been monitoring ebay and local CL since October 2011: none was found, or the price for 70K+ miles driveshaft is close to the new one ($650 at www.thebmwpartstore.com with FREE shipping, p/n 26117523913).

Or, another option: swap the rear subframe and differential to M3's. The benefits - you'll get LSD, plus, you can use the M3 driveshaft (p/n 26112229240) which is much easier to find used in good shape for not a lot of money.

You don't need a new cluster, btw (who told you you'd need it?). You'll just need to recode it.

In any case - good luck with the project, it is gonna be fun! Post pics and updates here. Check out other swap topics here (including mine, TitaniumCranium's, cyberkaa and others) - a lot of useful info is there.

Last edited by Nervous; 07-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Yeah I'd do the whole rear end. You wants da LSD.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Yeah I'd do the whole rear end. You wants da LSD.
This. Normally I'd say just sell it and buy an M3... but you have a four door, so I say DO IT + S54/Supercharger. Be prepared to sell your limbs though...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Barbaros

Thanks bunch guys. Got all the parts ready, all this should be finished by the end of next week. As for the cluster, I have an auto so there s "P,D,R..." display on it, which would bug me to keep the same cluster when I drive a manual lol
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
It can be coded out with BMW PA soft 1.4, I believe
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Nervous

Again: cluster is the same for auto and manual. Once you code your car all of those P D R disappears forever. NO NEED IN NEW CLUSTER!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
The PDR display just goes dark. No need to replace the AKMB (cluster) unless you just want to spend money. Besides even if you recode the donor cluster the tamper dot will appear after a few hundred miles, unless you pick up the ALSZ (lighting module) from the same donor car. The lighting module keeps a "safe" copy of the mileage in case a new (factory new) cluster is installed. Once the cluster is coded the ALSZ is paired with the AKMB and the mileage supposedly can't be changed. The keys also keep a memory of the mileage recorded.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Nervous

Tamper dot is removable by PASoft (by coding proper VIN and mileage into the cluster) but anyway, NO NEED IN CLUSTER
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Tamper dot is removable by PASoft (by coding proper VIN and mileage into the cluster) but anyway, NO NEED IN CLUSTER
Haha - we were hammering out the response at the same time. That's why I said "supposedly". I think there's something else going on besides the VIN being changed cuz you can do that in various BMW branded tools too but the tamper dot still comes on. PA being the only one I've heard of that kills it.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
laurelhallman
Banned User

My Ride: bmw
Stop by motorcepts and see what they have to say about this
laurelhallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Barbaros

Thanks for all the input guys! As of today, the project began!!!