E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
BrainGangKilla

My Ride: 330ci
Any insight on getting the rubber valve cover stud off? (pic)

a while ago, the bolts connected to my engine covers were stripped and couldnt remove the engine covers so i took my car to the dealer and they ended up breaking my engine covers and cutting the top half of the rubber bolts off. I have a new replacement cover and rubber bolts but I cant get the the existing ones off. what is the secret because it seems as if these things are glued on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	421025492_yrAqu-M.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	601750  
BrainGangKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
BMW-North

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Get two 10mm nuts and thread them onto one of the studs till they are snug then back the lower one up till it catches on the nut above it. THen you will have leverage to back the whole stud out - it is actually threaded with a little loctite.

If the nuts start spinning as you try to unscrew the stud you might have to improvise with loctite or flattening the head of the stud - which will pretty much mean replacing it.

Get the idea from this pic

Edit - why do you want these out????

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Bosch Fan Module: options using Volvo, Mazda & Ford

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
BMW Standard tools Part 1
BMW Standard tools Part 2
BMW Standard tools Part 3

Last edited by BMW-North; 05-28-2015 at 04:44 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
nbesheer

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Ohh, I don't think he has any threads left :/

I realize this probably isn't a helpful post.
nbesheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
BMW-North

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
If you have no threads. Vice grips. Good ones.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Bosch Fan Module: options using Volvo, Mazda & Ford

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
BMW Standard tools Part 1
BMW Standard tools Part 2
BMW Standard tools Part 3
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-north View Post
if you have no threads. Vice grips. Good ones.

+100000000
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
NallieBoop

My Ride: 2000 323i
OK, BGK - given the age of this post, I'm guessing you've managed to finger SUMPIN out, BUT ---

It strikes me as a bit odd that the dealer to whom you resorted SEEMS to have just half-donkeyed the situation and left you scarcely better off than when you arrived: they BROKE your cover off and CUT OFF THE TOP of your studs, leaving you to (procur AND install?) deal with the new cover and studs? At what point, I wonder, did you snap the pic, cuz it looks to me as if you have studs in place there. Kinda wish you hadn't circled the posts so close - can't really see the lower (rubber) parts. Oh well.

BUT - here's my Q for you, as it seems that you managed to obtain replacement studs??? Since one of mine broke, I'm real curious what my options are: are these things just two bolts joined by rubber? ...such that IF I could actually get under the tin plate that's currently in the way, I MIGHT be able to unscrew the bottom bold from the valve cover?

BTW - Norther - your pic surely seems to be addressing some generic stud removal NOT involving the fat rubber in the OP's case (and mine). Thus, attempting your suggestion to apply torque to the upper bolt would CERTAINLY twist the rubber apart before it would unscrew the ?loctited? lower bolt (if that's actually the way this is - not yet sure, myself).

Ultimately, if these studs do NOT unscrew somehow, it appears that buying a new valve cover is the only way to get "new studs." Sure HOPE not!

Needed a break for a bite to eat anyway. I was HOPING to learn a fix here, meanwhile, and vicegrips certainly won't get it in MY case (unless I break off the fancy tin plate that's also rubber-mounted, but very much in the way).

A hundred million more WHAT???

NallieBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
NallieBoop

OK - no comment so far - so this might be construed as TALKING TO MYSELF - but I've been accused of worse, so - here goes:

Got the bright idea to call the bimwah dealership parts dept and ASK if this is a part they sell individually. Sure enough - they sell them. Clearly, this implies that the one that broke on me CAN (in theory) be removed. Not sure HOW - as this is only a THEORY. Stupid sheet metal plate (which is also rubber-mounted) is SO in the WAY, but getting that off without ruining some or all of its rubber mount points seems daunting.

There's always the entire valve cover kit - upwards of 3 bills - but that would be the wimp's way out.

So - BGK or anyone else - would ANYONE have a PIC of this thing, to ease finding the simplest solution to removal of the broke piece???

One can dream . . .
Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Well this is what they look like out of the valve cover (part number 11121730356)

So clearly they must simply unscrew. I'd recommend grabbing them with vicegrips extremely hard and turning it counter-clockwise like any normal bolt.

It also doesn't matter if you destroy the rubber. Get the stud out then worry about cleaning the rubber pieces out of there.

Here is a close up of one in the valve cover (just a different bolt plating type)

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 09-28-2015 at 04:20 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
ageless

My Ride: 325Ci
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3z2psv5j7f_e
ageless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
NallieBoop

Much grass, WDE, for the hightened clarity! This tells me there's no hex head underneath the left-behind rubber, so the exercise of trying to get a slim open-end or crow's foot in there would be futile. As for just grabbing the rubber and giving it a heave-ho -- well, I'll try to get a pic of mine, cuz it ain't like YOUR pic! That would be TOO EASY, not to mention defying Murphy's Law.

Regardless of the remaining challenge, at least this shows me perzacitally what I'm dealing with, for which I'm most grateful!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
NallieBoop

So - in theory this pic shows enough of the problem site to illustrate my difficulty. As I said, though, now that I know what's underneath it makes sense to get that thing outa there by whatever means it takes. Perhaps I can remove enough rubber to make use of the right stud removal tool, but I kinda doubt I'd be able to get ANYTHING on the thing. I'm actually considering trying to see if E6000 might hold it well enough to get by, pending actually laying my grubby little paws on a real, live replacement part. So thanks, also, for ferreting out that part# for me - I see prices ranging from upwards of the $19 the dealer wanted to less than $3! Let's see - I believe I'll take - HAMBURGER B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NB327c.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	613841  
Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
WDE46

If I were you I'd take some box cutters and cut away as much rubber as you can. Then maybe you can grip the stud underneath it.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #13
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Ok here is what I would try. First use a razor and cut the remaining rubber off until you expose the flat metal head of the lower half of the screw in the valve cover. Center punch the middle of the metal head. Go to Home Depot and get your self an Easy Out, if don't know what one of them are ask there and they will show you. Read the instructions on the Easy Out. Drill a hole the recommended size being mindful not to go too large to over drill the stud. Apply Easy Out which threads reverse, then unscrew the Easy Out and with luck the stud will be coming out.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
WDE46

Careful center punching something on top of a plastic cover.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Yeah, meaning lightly just enough to keep the drill bit from wandering, or use one of those self starting bits. Good catch.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #16
NallieBoop

So - Phoenix - your description of said "flat metal head" hiding inside the remaining rubber infers that you've torn one open - or seen it somehow??? I suppose whatever head it may have will be round rather than hex.

At any rate, upon further pondering the sheet metal plate that's in the way of my getting a tool on this brat, it occurs to me that patient application of a screwdriver to the horde of rubber-nipple-grabbing flaps in order to release their grip on said rubber might get that thing off without all THAT much sweat. Easy enough to knock back down so they'll grip again when pushed back in place. Guess I'd better get crackin on procuring the replacement. Won't be getting the valve cover gasket set for a few more days anyway.

Whatever ----- I'm humbly grateful for all the advice here - particularly in my nubiness 'round these parts.

Meanwhile, I'm pondering the DISA on the other side and whether or not to hunker down and go after the stupid PCV valve - which could only be more difficult by a determined effort to MAKE IT TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!! Gads - this is the infamous "German engineering?" Dang - I'm mostly kraut me own self, but this is ridicless.

But I digress.

Just -

THANKS!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #17
NallieBoop

PS --

Turns out that what I _THOUGHT_ to be a bunch of little rubber nipples that the sheet metal shield's "teeth" were press-fit onto were PLASTIC, not RUBBER!

and, yes, I did break one in the process of getting it off'n there. Oh well - not a load-bearing structure, fortunately.

It did allow me to grab the remaining piece -- which happened to be BARELY hiding the top of the lower bolt - or the "flat metal head." Wasn't hard to unscrew once I had that metal plate out of the way. Simply pried all them lil teeth upward to release their grip with a very small blade screwdriver. Once I had it off it was easy to squeeze them back downward (to not quite flat) so they'd grip again when pressed back in place. Big deal.

If I'd seen that avenue of retreat sooner I'd have been able to avoid bugging anyone about this. Oh well.... Guess for all practical porpoises I'm done here - this tiny little mission being accomplished, as it were.

If that bloomin valve cover gasket set would ever get here, I'd be putting it back together. As it ain't, I'm back on tuther side trying to get to the PCV valve again.

Thanks again, y'all.

(hear that fake southern drawl? naw? well, only 2 generations away from the south and already it's faded.)

Carry on!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #18
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NallieBoop View Post
PS --

Turns out that what I _THOUGHT_ to be a bunch of little rubber nipples that the sheet metal shield's "teeth" were press-fit onto were PLASTIC, not RUBBER!

and, yes, I did break one in the process of getting it off'n there. Oh well - not a load-bearing structure, fortunately.

It did allow me to grab the remaining piece -- which happened to be BARELY hiding the top of the lower bolt - or the "flat metal head." Wasn't hard to unscrew once I had that metal plate out of the way. Simply pried all them lil teeth upward to release their grip with a very small blade screwdriver. Once I had it off it was easy to squeeze them back downward (to not quite flat) so they'd grip again when pressed back in place. Big deal.

If I'd seen that avenue of retreat sooner I'd have been able to avoid bugging anyone about this. Oh well.... Guess for all practical porpoises I'm done here - this tiny little mission being accomplished, as it were.

If that bloomin valve cover gasket set would ever get here, I'd be putting it back together. As it ain't, I'm back on tuther side trying to get to the PCV valve again.

Thanks again, y'all.

(hear that fake southern drawl? naw? well, only 2 generations away from the south and already it's faded.)

Carry on!

Would've been easier to buy needle nose vice grips.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #19
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
The DISA should be interesting...
Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #20
WDE46

The DISA takes 10 minutes to remove.