E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #1
AlexC28

My Ride: 323i 2000
Disc Brakes Problems

I have been experiencing problems with my 323i 00' disc brakes. The left side (driver side) both front and rear brake calipers and extremely hot to the touch after 15-30 minutes of driving but compared to right side (passenger side) both front and rear brake calipers are warm but aren't extremely hot, I believe this side is fine. Now back to left side (driver side), there is a squeak or squeal at speeds of 10-15mph coming from the rear left brakes. Also front and rear left side (driver side) rims are covered in brake dust, and on the right side (passanger side) is dust free. I believe this is coming from hold or dragging brakes, also there is scorching on the rotors. The other day i cleaned the pads and rotors with a wire brush to remove dust and rust, and the sound went to minimal, but after a few days it started up again. Since I have came to the idea of sticking or holding brakes, what do i do to eliminate the squeaking. By the way the pads look like they are in good condition not much wear.
AlexC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #2
Mango
FCPEuro.com-Code MangoFCP5

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
I'd replace all calipers with remanufactured ones. For your car, they're dirt dirt cheap. Under $30 for each corner when you swap yours. Check local auto parts store. Bleed, bed, and enjoy.

NY can be very harsh on metal stuff.

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #3
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'd replace all calipers with remanufactured ones. For your car, they're dirt dirt cheap. Under $30 for each corner when you swap yours. Check local auto parts store. Bleed, bed, and enjoy.

NY can be very harsh on metal stuff.
Nice of you to recommend that the guy replaces ALL calipers. If anyone actually listens to your posts, they'd be buying themselves a new e46 in parts every 6 months

Edit: to the op, check your inner brake pads you say they are squeeking, inner may be worn a bit more than outer. I would flush the system.

Last edited by tks; Yesterday at 11:52 AM.
tks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #4
Mango
FCPEuro.com-Code MangoFCP5

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tks View Post
Nice of you to recommend that the guy replaces ALL calipers. If anyone actually listens to your posts, they'd be buying themselves a new e46 in parts every 6 months

Edit: to the op, check your inner brake pads you say they are squeeking, inner may be worn a bit more than outer. I would flush the system.
OP says left side and both front and rear brake calipers are hot to the touch.

In any event, even if two or one for that matter were hot to the touch, do you think the rest are far behind? We're dealing with brakes here, not yoga pants.

Brakes are the very thing that will save your life. You really want to jerk around with this guy's life to save $90?

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #5
Silverdogz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I agree with Mango. Hell, if you really want to save some money you could try and rebuild them yourself. Brakes should always be maintained as a priority over any other part of the car.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #6
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Different strategies, each can be right. Personally, when the pads and rotors needed replacing on my 15 year old car, I rebuilt the calipers. Minimal $$$ spent on rubber bits and pistons. Had the rest of the system apart anyway. Now I don't worry about getting stuck somewhere 500 miles from home. If you just make short hops to work and back or have backup transportation, that's one thing, if you take long trips, preventitive maintenance takes on a whole different perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Don't forget the caliper pins. At the very least they need to be cleaned. Smart money would take the car to have the brake fluid flushed after putting new calipers on. You can bleed the system at home easily enough, but it might be worth the money to pay somebody to completely flush the system for you.

The caliper pins should be clean and dry. If they are lubricated, then the lube will heat up and cool down and heat up and cool down, and this is bad for grease. Then, on top of that, the gooey grease collects brake dust that just makes things worser and worser. Make sure the guide holes on the calipers are clean, and the guide pins are not corroded. Clean and dry.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I replaced my calipers last pad/rotor change in the front. Rears are next shortly. If the calipers were never replaced then they should. Big difference.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #9
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
I replaced my stock calipers with 325 size rotors and calipers. It's a couple mm larger, the caliper is a direct bolt on to the existing bracket used.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #10
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Just switch to drum brakes. Much better than those disc snake oils. (Kidding.)

I agree with replacing the calipers. I had a seized caliper in the front and replaced both. I just changed the rear rotors and pads, and the next time I do it I'll change out the calipers as well. It's always a nice feeling when you replace ALL the brakes on the car, flush with new fluid, and maybe toss on some stainless steel lines.

As far as the caliper pin recommendation goes--it's up to you. I like to grease the caliper pins. If you do, you have to use a silicone brake grease, like Sil-Glyde. You can't use anything with petroleum in it. It degrades the boot rubber.

You can get a Motive power bleeder for $30-$45. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote