E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
SRS / Airbag light on after dead battery replacement

My old battery went belly-up in a big way (don't drive the ZHP much), so I replaced the battery. That went fine, but the airbag light came on and wouldn't go out (I tried disconnecting the battery again overnight, no joy).

With the B800 SRS reader (similar to the Peake tool), I get chart 10 codes of:
50 - supply voltage
01 - driver's airbag firing circuit
04 - passenger's airbag firing circuit

And I can't reset any of these.

I'm reasonably certain that both airbags didn't really fail, so I'm thinking the problem is in the SRS / airbag control module. Fuse #11 checks out OK, but I wonder if there's any other likely place where the power to the control module might get interrupted. Is this ringing a bell with anyone out there?

Worst case, I pull the console apart and cut the carpet to get to the SRS control module, and check to see if it's got power. If it does, am I going to be better off just ordering an ebay module (around $30 it seems) with the exact same number, or maybe sending the old one to a place to get it checked / refurbed (probably a little more money, but...).

I'd seriously appreciate any wisdom here, folks... thanks in advance.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
habbyguy

Well, I got the old module out, and have one with the same part number (ebay) on order. I made sure it was from a 4-door 3-series built within a few months of mine, but it wasn't a ZHP. I'm hoping it'll work, but I'm getting conflicting opinions from other threads... Some say it'll work fine as long as the airbag computer came out of a similar car, others say it'll never work until the dealer codes it, and still others say I should download the image from the old controller and upload it into the new controller. But my BMW Scanner Demo version 1.4 will read and save the old image, but won't let me load it or do much of anything else (other than to try to reset the error codes, which doesn't work.

Does anyone have a lead on where to get a fully functional BMW Scanner tool. I realize it will no doubt cost more than the ebay demo versions, but I really can't see spending hundreds on this either. Is there a legit tool out there that will allow me to download and flash a new SRS control module? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I don't know if this helps but I recently bought a scanner, Autel-619 that let me clear and reset SRS codes. I don't know about initializing a module but everybody told me I would have to spend a lot more than I did. I paid $120 and it worked like a charm.

I understand the Peake and the one you have don't work on our 2003 models.

Last edited by franz; 09-25-2015 at 09:32 AM.
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
habbyguy

I'm pretty sure that the Peake tool clone I have (the B800) works fine on a 2003 - it certainly reads it fine. I also have the BMW Scanner 1.4 demo software that reads the same errors, and "tries" to reset them. My assumption (could be wrong!) is that the problem is a persistent failure in my airbag module, and that replacing it should allow me to clear the error. Hope so, since I have one on the way. I'd really like to be able to download the contents of my original airbag control module to the "new" Ebay module, but it looks like I'd need to spend $650 on the non-demo version of the BMW Scanner software... it would be cheaper (relative term!) to go to the stealership!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
habbyguy

Well, I got an Ebay module from a 2003 (same year) 325i - figured that the configuration of the airbags would be the same as my 330i. Plugged it in (battery disconnected, of course) and the airbag light was still on. Read a chart 10, error 91 ("crashtelegram memory") on my B800 reset tool. Did a reset, which took a couple times, and the light went out and everything seems to be good.

I assume that the error 91 means that there IS history of airbag deployment in the module, right? The Ebay vendor swore that the module was from a car that never, ever had bags deployed. I'll dig into this deeper with my BMW Scanner (demo) tool to see if I can get more specifics.