E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
ktb15

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
ok thanks for responses everyone. im going for the brembo rotors and leaning towards the akebono pads but is there really a noticeable difference in the bite with the cyramics? i like the feel i have now so would like to stay as close as i can to that. i used to hate the break dust but now i have a unlimited carwash thing so its not an issue now that im not the one cleaning them all the time. are there any other benefits of having ceramic or should i just stick to a semi metallic?
ktb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Yes this is my second time with Akebono love having clean wheels all the time.
But they do not have that bite like OEM!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb15 View Post
ok thanks for responses everyone. im going for the brembo rotors and leaning towards the akebono pads but is there really a noticeable difference in the bite with the cyramics? i like the feel i have now so would like to stay as close as i can to that. i used to hate the break dust but now i have a unlimited carwash thing so its not an issue now that im not the one cleaning them all the time. are there any other benefits of having ceramic or should i just stick to a semi metallic?
You can stay exactly where you are, and in the long run, it might also be the cheapest.

You might end up saving $10 and having cleaner wheels, but if you want to save the $10 so you can have your car washed every day, you're sort of putting the cart in front of the horse.

Also, I can't recall reading of anyone that has gotten the wear out of my OE pads...and although a pad might seem as good as OE, it might also be wearing out the rotors significantly more. Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to try to engineer the brakes on a car like a bmw. Sure on a Yugo I might, but BMW is a pretty good car, you know. I think they got it right.

If you're an automotive engineer, then I'm sure you'd do okay re-engineering our brakes, especially with all the anecdotes you'll get of great 'other' pads. You understand there's always going to be a bit of bias involved when it comes to recommendations here. If someone gets pads because they don't like dust, and the pads still stop them, they'll 'feel' they're as good as or better than OE, because they want to feel good about the decision they made...that dust is bad and stopping usually isn't that important anyway.

Just saying. I say OE because I'm not an engineer, but I know they'll stop the car--in rain, snow, day, night, hot, cold, smoothly, evenly, and quickly. Why do I know? Because I've trusted bmw brakes since 1994 and they haven't failed me once...except that one time when they stopped me too fast!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
ktb15

thanks dmax. yea break dust isnt an issue as i pay for a monthly unlimited car wash and just go there whenever they start looking dirty which is about every 3 days. i read somewhere that ceramic has less rotor wear, dont know if thats true or not but it would be nice not having to replace rotors as often. i dont mind paying an extra ten bucks or so for a better set i was just wondering if there were any other benefits to ceramic besides the brake dust and if there are any ceramic pads that have a bite close to the oem i have now.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
dmax

If you've heard ceramics don't wear out rotors, and that's actually true, then they, themselves are wearing quicker...or, I suppose, they're really not stopping as quickly as oe.

Something has to give...you're stopping a 3,000 lb. object going fast. Only reason I can think of to do other than OE is if you're tracking the car and then I'd say a dedicated pad. The 'compromise' pads seem to do better on the track with fading, but worse on the street with stopping. Many that do these pads, track maybe 2-3 times a year, so for 360 days of the year, their brakes aren't as good as mine.

Also, there are other components to brake pads beyond just the material too...you want to know the clips fit in piston properly and that the backing plate is a nice thick hunk of metal.

Anywhooo...you have a bmw and you can get bmw brakes for less than from the dealer. Mine were $50 an axle from bmaparts (I think), and my balo blanks will end up going around 120K in the front and could be 2-240K in the rear. Can't imagine better and I can't imagine cheaper (in the long run).

Search thread titles for 'brakes' here...there are a few who swear their brakes saved their lives.

Also, search for "hit a X" threads--deers, beagles, iguanas--bet you 90% of those drivers also posted about how much they hate dust on their wheels. I almost hit a beagle, but was able to save its life because I have the brakes I'm highly recommending to you...the ones you said you wanted by saying you want that same stopping power. Only one way to get it imho!

I did suggest measuring rotor thickness, didn't I? You might not need rotors, and I'm sure you don't need pads in all corners...and frankly, unless your pad light went off, you don't need pads at all.

Okay...my work is done here!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Last edited by dmax; 07-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
The Akebonos won't make your car any less stoppable. That'd still depend on your tires.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
ktb15

yea dmax i definitely need rotors as well so im going with brembo for those. im just undecided between ceramic and oem and im not really looking for the cheapest way out and i do like the oem brake feel and bite but was curious if i could get a decent set of ceramics that perform close to oem and if so are there any benefits over oem aside from the brake dust. i dont track the car and i have michellin pilot super sports so i should be good there. im just wondering if anyone has experience with ceramics that perform close to or better than oem feel and if there are other benefits to ceramic
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
ktb15

also i noticed the brake sensors are much cheaper on bma and they look different on every site. are these cheap sensors essentially the same thing or would it be smarter to just buy genuine bmw?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #29
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Zimmerman rotors and jurid pads.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
ktb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You can stay exactly where you are, and in the long run, it might also be the cheapest.

You might end up saving $10 and having cleaner wheels, but if you want to save the $10 so you can have your car washed every day, you're sort of putting the cart in front of the horse.

Also, I can't recall reading of anyone that has gotten the wear out of my OE pads...and although a pad might seem as good as OE, it might also be wearing out the rotors significantly more. Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to try to engineer the brakes on a car like a bmw. Sure on a Yugo I might, but BMW is a pretty good car, you know. I think they got it right.

If you're an automotive engineer, then I'm sure you'd do okay re-engineering our brakes, especially with all the anecdotes you'll get of great 'other' pads. You understand there's always going to be a bit of bias involved when it comes to recommendations here. If someone gets pads because they don't like dust, and the pads still stop them, they'll 'feel' they're as good as or better than OE, because they want to feel good about the decision they made...that dust is bad and stopping usually isn't that important anyway.

Just saying. I say OE because I'm not an engineer, but I know they'll stop the car--in rain, snow, day, night, hot, cold, smoothly, evenly, and quickly. Why do I know? Because I've trusted bmw brakes since 1994 and they haven't failed me once...except that one time when they stopped me too fast!
thanks dmax. u seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this, but like u said everyone has a biased opinion. i do agree with you that for the most part bmw engineering is like that for a reason, even though everything seems to be harder to fix on this car than any of my previous non bmws. im not trying to re-engineer the brakes or take a cheap way out, just curious if there are benefits of good ceramic pads since they are fairly new and were probably not even considered when the engineering for the e46 started. i know you mentioned that u use textar pads and looks like u get nice mileage from them. ill definitely consider these since they are so much cheaper than oem pads from bmw and you say they have the same performance. sorry for all the questions but this is my first bmw and unlike my other cars (expedition and integra) there are just so many options for this stuff. i actually like this car so i want to do everything right, just not get ripped off buying overpriced oem equipment. that being said, do u have any experience with the pad sensors because at bma they are half the price of genuine bmw. thanks for all your advice
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #31
dmax

The textar pads you get will be identical to OE. I had both side to side...the only difference is that it'll cost you maybe $20 more from dealer for the stamped roundel.

On the pad sensors, IDK for sure, but I'm confident bma would have a perfectly acceptable sensor, which probably is OE. The sensor is pretty simple, so I wouldn't worry if it wasn't OE anyway.

Almost always when guys talk about ceramic pads, they talk about less dusting, and I believe they fade less too...but fading isn't something I've ever needed to worry about on the road, nor would you.

Also I wanted to say that I've read and believe that Textar, Jurid, and Mintex all are made with the same compound, maybe even made in the same factory. I'm sure there are minor differences in construction, but I don't know what they are.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #32
BayrischeMotorWerk

My Ride: 320d
I have just exchanged some of my gold with OEM brakes. German BMW stealer said ~ 450 Euro (380 USD) for
4 rotors, 4 set of brake pads 2 parking brakes and 2 wires.

A bit expensive, but rotors should last at least 100.000 miles and pads maybe 40-50.000 with my driving style.
Seen in that perspective, I'm not going to experiment with other vendors.
Brembo used to be the finest for my Yamaha motocross bike, but if they still make the same good parts for BMW
I dunno.
Zimmermann and Sachs are known to make good brakes and cluthes, but again why should I experiment?

I often drives on german autobahn....you know "No speed limit ", and with speeds of > 140 miles/h and I have
to brake. I can "feel" the brakes are literarely MELTING if I have to slow down to 40 miles in 5 sec. OEM
parts can do it
BayrischeMotorWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
ktb15

ok thanks for the input everyone. im just gonna stick with the brembo rotors as that just seems to be a toss up between those and zimmerman. i was open to ceramics at first but just too many mixed reviews, and for me at least, id rather keep the feel i have now and keep washing the car every couple days. i know my oem brakes can slow me down from over 100mph quickly and with ease, and with this being my first bmw and its a zhp i just have to have some fun with it now and then yet amazingly ive never experienced brake fade. im sure my wheels are black after that but oh well, gunmetal rims compliment the black car until i go to the car wash lol. ive read a lot about textar being closest to oem and im saving a lot more than $20 buying those over bmw. my dealer quoted me somewhere over $100 per set of pads, i kind of just stopped listening after that and didnt even bother asking about rotors. i noticed some of the kits come with a replacement bolt that holds the rotor on, do i need to buy those or can i save the existing ones if i just spray them with some pb before taking them off. i know theyre only like 2 bucks each but im buying everything else from bma and it doesnt look like they sell them. i cant see spending more on shipping than on the parts im buying from all the other sites ive looked at. i doubt they carry them at a parts store like advance or autozone but if anyone knows about that id appreciate it. thanks again everyone.

Last edited by ktb15; 07-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
Marek555

My Ride: E46 328i
A couple weeks ago, I went for Zimmermann and Pagid
Marek555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
dmax

The screw for the rotor should come out okay...just make sure you have the right bit and apply pressure while loosening. Some have issues with it, but I never have. If you give bma the PN, I'm sure they can get it...or any dealer should have it in stock.

Textars are OE...not 'close' to OE. I bought textars but they didn't fit because my calipers had seized closed just a tad...they wouldn't open all the way. Before I knew that, I bought OE pads from dealer thinking maybe they were different...but they weren't. Both were Textar, exactly the same number...only difference was that stamped roundel...only difference.

...and btw, if that screw gives you problems, you actually can put rotor on without it...the wheel bolts are really what's holding rotor to hub. The screw is just for holding it in place while you mount caliper and wheel.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #36
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiGuy View Post
This pads have been squeeling a month or so after they were installed. I hate them.
Try something like:
CRC Disc Brake Quiet
Permatex Ceramic Lub
Permatex Disc Brake Quiet
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
I just did my fronts with zimmerman rotors and akebono pads. I researched quite a bit for the best pad at the lowest dust.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
ktb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek555 View Post
A couple weeks ago, I went for Zimmermann and Pagid
looks nice. this is my first time doing brakes on a bmw and those look huge compared to the ones ive done lol. they are some amazing brakes for oem though. have u ever heard anything about the pagid reds from bavauto? cant find any reviews on them but they say they are a slight upgrade and theyre a decent price per set
Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #39
ktb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
yea i was planning on using some anyways just for peace of mind cuz that would annoy the hell out of me if i ended up doing the breaks and having that squeal when i couldve avoided it with an extra ten bucks and 30 seconds worth of time. i like the sound of my exhaust, not the break squeal. any opinion on which one is best?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
ktb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The screw for the rotor should come out okay...just make sure you have the right bit and apply pressure while loosening. Some have issues with it, but I never have. If you give bma the PN, I'm sure they can get it...or any dealer should have it in stock.

Textars are OE...not 'close' to OE. I bought textars but they didn't fit because my calipers had seized closed just a tad...they wouldn't open all the way. Before I knew that, I bought OE pads from dealer thinking maybe they were different...but they weren't. Both were Textar, exactly the same number...only difference was that stamped roundel...only difference.

...and btw, if that screw gives you problems, you actually can put rotor on without it...the wheel bolts are really what's holding rotor to hub. The screw is just for holding it in place while you mount caliper and wheel.
yea for half the price i think i can live without having the roundel on my brake pad. ive definitely decided that unless i was to do a complete upgrade im sticking with the feel i know i like and not risk giving that up for less brake dust. i heard you can do without the screw if needed but if i can get them its only ten bucks and may make it easier for me next time. the closest dealer to me is a half hour away so if none of the autoparts stores near me have them ill just be careful with the old ones, i just wasnt sure if they were meant to be used again since all the kits i saw came with them. thanks again dmax

Tags
brakes, pads, replacement, rotors