E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Scotty_89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 692
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Single din, 7" touchscreen, NOT Dynavin... Power Acoustik?

Hi guys,

I've tired of my Dynavin, after doing some testing with a different source in my stereo I've confirmed that the Dynavin is seriously limiting my system so I've been looking for a replacement and came across this...


http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2012/...s-PNX-721.html

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2012/...PTID-7002.html

I know... its "Power Acoustik" which is far from the industry leading brands, and I've never seen or heard one of their units IRL... but atleast they've got products worth showing at the electronics shows (and they bother to show up as well).

The main features that I noticed (and are the selling point to me) were that

It is a Single-DIN, with the unit occupying the upper DIN slot, whilst still providing a 7" screen that would normally only be found on double-Din units.

It supplies all the features that a Dynavin does (bluetooth, Nav etc), but provides somewhat acceptable sound quality features: 4v preamp outputs, 3 sets RCA's, seperate Sub-channel controls from the head unit as well.

On the 7002 model, there is 3 UI's, and atleast one of them looks acceptablehttp://www.farenheitusa.com/IMAGE/radiant.png. On the Wince Ingenix model, you can apparently install your own background (because that skull background sure is fugly).

Has anyone seen or had any experience with this Power Acoustik brand? Are they as cheap as their brand name suggests?

I am not a brand snob, but I was looking to get something with reputable quality ie. Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, JVC etc. but none of them make a single din, touchscreen flip down (or single din oversized as they are calling these).

Am I jumping out of the pot and into the fire, by selling the Dynavin due to its quality, and then buying one of these Power Acoustik units? I mean their website looks like it was put together by a teenager, and I've heard nothing about these units before...
__________________

Last edited by Scotty_89; 04-06-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Scotty_89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 692
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I just found that an identical model is made by "Boss" and Soundstream as well... this concerns me. Usually this is a definite sign of cheap mass produced chinese models (built in same factory, stamped with different name)... but I remember Soundstream as being a reputable brand years ago... so I'm confused. Anyone know what's going on here??


http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8027-vir...ch-screen.aspx
http://www.soundstream.com/Video%20P.../vir7022nr.htm
__________________

Last edited by Scotty_89; 04-06-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
r2t2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 56
My Ride: '01 330i '06 M3
Well it's not like Dynavin or Enco are big name brands... The things that would concern me would be that this could just be a lateral move and if you want navigation you have to add an additional module. And that's gonna be an issue because from what I've seen in my 330i, there isn't a whole lot of free space under the dash. At one point I was considering this type of unit, but with the screen out your access to the A/C controls looks like it would be obstructed.

Just my two cents...
__________________
RayK
'01 M5
'06 M3
'08 Kawasaki Concours C14
r2t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Scotty_89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 692
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2t2 View Post
Well it's not like Dynavin or Enco are big name brands... The things that would concern me would be that this could just be a lateral move and if you want navigation you have to add an additional module. And that's gonna be an issue because from what I've seen in my 330i, there isn't a whole lot of free space under the dash. At one point I was considering this type of unit, but with the screen out your access to the A/C controls looks like it would be obstructed.

Just my two cents...
I have the Dynavin currently installed and entirely unhappy with it. I've been pointing fingers at all my other gear trying to find the source of crappy sound (stinger HPM 3 RCA's, Alpine Processor, Alpine PDX 2nd gen Amps, Boston Pro speakers)...

I tested using a laptop direct into the Alpine processor through the system and immediately, without any tweaking, the sound was full and rich like it should always have been. So I am getting rid of the Dynavin.

My HVAC controls came fitted in the lower dash anyway as I had the double din cassette/tv from factory.

I do want nav, but honestly I'd pay over $1000 for a good touchscreen unit with decent SQ output so long as it doesn't require cutting up my A/C ducts and does not involve a flimsy flip up design.

I have just found that there are several of the cheaper brands re-badging this same unit above: Boss, Power Acoustik, Farenheit, Precision Power, Soundstream... So I'm pretty sure its another gimmick unit with crappy performance.

I know Soundstream and Precision Power were never leading the industry in source units, but they did have a reputable brand name for amplifiers and speakers, so I cannot understand why they would dare put their name on something if it was comparable quality to a Dynavin. That wouldn't be a smart move... so I'm deterred and intrigued at the same time
__________________
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
r2t2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 56
My Ride: '01 330i '06 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
My HVAC controls came fitted in the lower dash anyway as I had the double din cassette/tv from factory.
At least you have the going for you! It's too bad you don't have someone else to be your guinea pig... All I can say is I wish you good luck and if you do find the secret formula... Please share it!
__________________
RayK
'01 M5
'06 M3
'08 Kawasaki Concours C14
r2t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
BYOB3amer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
I have the Dynavin currently installed and entirely unhappy with it. I've been pointing fingers at all my other gear trying to find the source of crappy sound (stinger HPM 3 RCA's, Alpine Processor, Alpine PDX 2nd gen Amps, Boston Pro speakers)...

I tested using a laptop direct into the Alpine processor through the system and immediately, without any tweaking, the sound was full and rich like it should always have been. So I am getting rid of the Dynavin.

My HVAC controls came fitted in the lower dash anyway as I had the double din cassette/tv from factory.

I do want nav, but honestly I'd pay over $1000 for a good touchscreen unit with decent SQ output so long as it doesn't require cutting up my A/C ducts and does not involve a flimsy flip up design.

I have just found that there are several of the cheaper brands re-badging this same unit above: Boss, Power Acoustik, Farenheit, Precision Power, Soundstream... So I'm pretty sure its another gimmick unit with crappy performance.

I know Soundstream and Precision Power were never leading the industry in source units, but they did have a reputable brand name for amplifiers and speakers, so I cannot understand why they would dare put their name on something if it was comparable quality to a Dynavin. That wouldn't be a smart move... so I'm deterred and intrigued at the same time
Would you like to sell your Dynavin?
__________________
BYOB3amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Scotty_89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 692
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYOB3amer View Post
Would you like to sell your Dynavin?
I would, but I'm in Australia so shipping might no be worth it to you.

My Dynavin is also the old model, not this android one.
__________________
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Ballistic325
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,191
My Ride: slow and steady
Hey Scott

I would suggest talking to wilawok on the Aus forum... he used to install pro stereo gear for a living. Might be able to give you some advice. Also, I think some of the Melbourne boys have experience as well....

Just a thought
__________________

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Nfs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aust
Posts: 13
My Ride: 323ci
I'm in melb and wanting to change the stock head unit. Not wanting the dynavin but a reputable aftermarket that won't stick out too much like a sore thumb, single din...crappy 1999 cd player just not cutting it and wanting iPhone USB input
Nfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Arty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,030
My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
but honestly I'd pay over $1000 for a good touchscreen unit with decent SQ output so long as it doesn't require cutting up my A/C ducts and does not involve a flimsy flip up design.
I know this is an old thread, it popped up in a search for nav in a single DIN, consider the Parrot Asteroid 2DIN, it's only 1/2 depth.

Last edited by Arty; 09-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use