E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
rusty lug nuts

this is annoying the fack out of me, water pools in lugs and they are rusted

anyone found a solution?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 07-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Can't see the pic but you should replace your wheel bolts as preventive maintenance (haha, wolrab).

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
remove, wire wheel/ glass bead the rust off, and have them powder coated or anodized if possible. paint wont hold up on the peaks i imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
this is annoying the fack out of me, water pools in lugs and they are rusted

anyone found a solution?
Buy new ones, or, take the old ones out, clean and repaint. Or get sloppy with the anti-seize and cover the head along with the threads. Probably not a bad idea to replace them if you have the funds (then put anti-seize just on the threads).
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
Buy new ones, or, take the old ones out, clean and repaint. Or get sloppy with the anti-seize and cover the head along with the threads. Probably not a bad idea to replace them if you have the funds (then put anti-seize just on the threads).
Right. Because killing the OP is exactly what he wants.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
wasp9166
ima touching member

anti-seize? wtf? lol

so it's just the paint that's missing huh...................normal to have to replace these at 50k?

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
anti-seize? wtf? lol

so it's just the paint that's missing huh...................normal to have to replace these at 50k?
No, but it's obvious that the coating is done on them. It sucks when you look at how much they cost, but I would replace them.

Also, if you have not owned the car since new, you don't know if they were overtorqued at some point, which makes them prone to failure (especially if they're rusty). People have had wheels fall off a completely stock car while it was moving due to the lug bolts snapping from being overtorqued.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
With rust like that I'd probably replace the bolts.

That reminds me, I should be in an order for that as well....
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
With rust like that I'd probably replace the bolts.

That reminds me, I should be in an order for that as well....
I bought spacers that came w/ new bolts (ecstuning) so I killed two birds with one stone. I love my silver grade 10.9 bolts. I can't go back to black now.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

no kidding? thinking black would look better on mine

Quote:
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Stop parking your car in its doors. If you park it wheels down, most of the water will run out of there thanks to gravity.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
Stop parking your car in its doors. If you park it wheels down, most of the water will run out of there thanks to gravity.
jersey

Quote:
Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Just in case the poster missed the point of Mango's point about anti-seize...do not use it on wheel bolts.

A light coating on wheel after cleaning...between rotor and hub if doing rotors, but keep it away from threads on hub or on the bolt.

As far as the rust is concerned, I do hear that wheel bolts should be replaced periodically, but I've never replaced mine. If the rust bothered me, I'd either buy new or just clean them up and spray paint them...fortunately, I don't get bothered by stuff like that, as I think a little roughness on my car makes it look tough.

The bolts could be weakened if they'd been repeated overtorqued, but I think you'd need a massive amount of overtorqueing for them to fail. Though, I bet repeated use of an air gun is what messed up the coating on them.

Being from NJ, I'm not sure I understand the post above about how to park to preserve the bolts. Me? If the car has been through rain, when I get it in the garage, I just jack up one side, let the water run out of the wheels for about 20 mins, and then jack up the other side. After the second side is done, I'll get my leaf blower out and dry the wheel bolts off with it for another 20 mins. Then I spritz the wheel bolts with a spritz bottle filled with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and gummi pflege...and just a drop or two of vanilla extract to make the bolts smell nice.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Just in case the poster missed the point of Mango's point about anti-seize...do not use it on wheel bolts.

A light coating on wheel after cleaning...between rotor and hub if doing rotors, but keep it away from threads on hub or on the bolt.

As far as the rust is concerned, I do hear that wheel bolts should be replaced periodically, but I've never replaced mine. If the rust bothered me, I'd either buy new or just clean them up and spray paint them...fortunately, I don't get bothered by stuff like that, as I think a little roughness on my car makes it look tough.

The bolts could be weakened if they'd been repeated overtorqued, but I think you'd need a massive amount of overtorqueing for them to fail. Though, I bet repeated use of an air gun is what messed up the coating on them.

Being from NJ, I'm not sure I understand the post above about how to park to preserve the bolts. Me? If the car has been through rain, when I get it in the garage, I just jack up one side, let the water run out of the wheels for about 20 mins, and then jack up the other side. After the second side is done, I'll get my leaf blower out and dry the wheel bolts off with it for another 20 mins. Then I spritz the wheel bolts with a spritz bottle filled with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and gummi pflege...and just a drop or two of vanilla extract to make the bolts smell nice.

D, you really should replace your bolts when you get around to it. Order from RMEuropean.

36136781150 @ $2.26 ea. RMEUROPEAN

$45.20 + shipping. Not bad insurance eh? A lot of people will spend twice that on eBay angel eyes...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
dmax

I hear you, Mango. It's on my list...just for you!

But still, I don't honestly think that either rust or 'usual' overtorqueing would do much to hurt these bolts. Is there some official bmw TIS that gives mileage at which they should be replaced? I'm sure I'm way past it, and I'm sure my PO didn't bother to replace them. Also, I'm pretty sure that if one breaks, the rest won't all fail at the same time.

Are rmeuropean bolts OE? I would hate to give up my old OE bolts for new ones of inferior metal.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post

D, you really should replace your bolts when you get around to it. Order from RMEuropean.

36136781150 @ $2.26 ea. RMEUROPEAN

$45.20 + shipping. Not bad insurance eh? A lot of people will spend twice that on eBay angel eyes...
ko performance has em cheaper

$2.16........my dealer wanted $6.88 a piece, with tax that would be $148 ,

Quote:
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
CirrusSR22

My Ride: E36 318ti, E46 323it
Are these factory bolts for sure? Both my E36 and E46 have lived longer lives outside in Minnesota and neither have anything like that. I'd buy new Genuine BMW ones.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
bigguy

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
I actually picked up a set from the costco auto center, chrome(I think they had black too). I think I payed 1.19 each? I like'm. My old ones had been waaaaaay over torqued buy the previous owner.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Just bring all your rusty lugs in pocket, find a nicely maintained BMW at night with shiny lugs.
Swap them and go home happily ever after.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Just bring all your rusty lugs in pocket, find a nicely maintained BMW at night with shiny lugs.
Swap them and go home happily ever after.
Oh, Canada!

A recent set