E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
My baby is sick, she's now at the dealership.

Today, BMW of Murrieta had a free checkup for any bmw owners. I set up an appointment with them after work and they checked her out if there was any issues. The mechanic showed me all the problem.

The normal issues:

Need new brake pads soon
Need new rear tires soon

The not so normal(serious) issues:

The gasket has oil leaks spreading throughout the engine area and the hoses.
The hoses needs to be replaced
The belts needs to be replaced(cracking)
And a few more leak issues.

My reaction...

The estimated total cost would be around $2000+
The most serious issue was the gasket and the belts which costs around $1000+

Unfortunately I don't have the mechanical knowledge to fix any of these issues myself nor do I have the tools and time. I have no option but to do it with them.

I'm sad because of all these issues but also sad that it pretty much drains my pocket with these expensive fixes. Tomorrow I will get the gasket fixed and then I will not drive her until I can afford to get the belts replaced which hopefully is by next pay day.

This is the first time I've ever had any issues with my baby. I've had her for over a year now. She's so high maintenance. But driving her is such a pleasure.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
$300 job for $2000

sell it and buy Honda if don't have time/skill for DIY.

Hate to see someone getting raped

Last edited by MercForHire; 07-27-2012 at 12:39 AM.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
Send a message via AIM to Nickvjr Send a message via Yahoo to Nickvjr Send a message via Skype™ to Nickvjr
I understand that certain parts need replacing and other things need servicing but $1000 for oil filter housing gasket? & belts sounds extremely steep. There are other independent shops that work on BMWs all around Riverside County; even more in Orange & LA County.

The dealer may point out the services & parts you need; that's fine. But shop around for a better rate now that you know what your baby needs. Just cause you go in for a free check up doesn't mean you have to stay for repairs.

Just my opinion... best of luck to you!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
MrEmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvjr View Post
I understand that certain parts need replacing and other things need servicing but $1000 for oil filter housing gasket? & belts sounds extremely steep. There are other independent shops that work on BMWs all around Riverside County; even more in Orange & LA County.

The dealer may point out the services & parts you need; that's fine. But shop around for a better rate now that you know what your baby needs. Just cause you go in for a free check up doesn't mean you have to stay for repairs.

Just my opinion... best of luck to you!
Thanks! I'm letting them do the gasket but I'm thinking of getting the rest fixed somewhere else now that you mentioned it. Although I don't know a good place to take them in the OC Riverside area. Maybe if another fanatic can refer me to the place they go to for service.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Wish I was out there. I would do the work for half that price.
Hell I'd do the work for a quarter of that.
Find an Indy shop and get it done. It'll save you big time.
Bimmershops.com
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Any mechanic from any dealer would have told you the same. Never go to the dealer if you are on a budget, there are many indy shops that would do a great job for half and that is guarantee bro. The belts are not cheap to replace (very important), but then the brakes, gasket, and hoses are 5/10 level DIY. Is not that your car will die, as long as you check the fluid levels and temp you are safe. At least after the overhaul, your car will feel like new again. Good luck bro!
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
MrEmitter

I don't plan on getting the brakes replaced by them but now I plan on doing the hoses with someone else. I posted a new thread in the California section asking for places to take my car to. Hopefully I get a reply and I'll get the rest fixed for half / quarter of the price. Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
OoiRingo

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I posted about my most recent experience with a dealer's free inspection and their prices. Go to an independent shop for a second opinion.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...965&highlight=
OoiRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Check the link I posted. It'll help you find a good shop
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
MrEmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Check the link I posted. It'll help you find a good shop
Found a place near me. I'll call them tomorrow morning. Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmitter View Post
Today, BMW of Murrieta had a free checkup for any bmw owners. I set up an appointment with them after work and they checked her out if there was any issues. The mechanic showed me all the problem.

The normal issues:

Need new brake pads soon
Need new rear tires soon

The not so normal(serious) issues:

The gasket has oil leaks spreading throughout the engine area and the hoses.
The hoses needs to be replaced
The belts needs to be replaced(cracking)
And a few more leak issues.

My reaction...

The estimated total cost would be around $2000+
The most serious issue was the gasket and the belts which costs around $1000+

Unfortunately I don't have the mechanical knowledge to fix any of these issues myself nor do I have the tools and time. I have no option but to do it with them.

I'm sad because of all these issues but also sad that it pretty much drains my pocket with these expensive fixes. Tomorrow I will get the gasket fixed and then I will not drive her until I can afford to get the belts replaced which hopefully is by next pay day.

This is the first time I've ever had any issues with my baby. I've had her for over a year now. She's so high maintenance. But driving her is such a pleasure.
It's always best to get 3 separate quotes on any kind of automotive service that's over $1,000.

I suggest you get your belts done first, along with your brake pads. They are both the simplest and crucial to your engine's health and your safety >I know how some San Diegan drivers like to dart out in front of people. (I've lived in Oceanside & Encinitas)

My main concern is: what does those "few more" leaks consist of? If it entails any kind of coolant leak, then I would highly suggest you get those taken care of ASAP.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Of course dealers are giving out free inspections. Every BMW out there will be leaking oil. Those jobs are simple and cheap and can be done for chump change. That's not your car "being sick"--that's every single E46 out there...

Everyone here has done those gaskets. They're wear and tear just as your brakes. Believe me, your car isn't "sick."

Buy some simple hand tools including a metric socket set, and a torx set, read my sig and get to work.

Keep in mind lots of women DIY their BMWs as well. Some children too. Get to it!!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Which gasket? Oil filter housing or valve cover? I don't think it was said - just assumed. VCG might not be the right place for a person to start wrenching on their car. But, there is plenty of other stuff that you can tackle in that list and be done in a day or less.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Of course dealers are giving out free inspections.
I enjoy taking my car in for these sorts of things just to test the honesty of the dealer.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
Sounds like the same thing my indy mechanic told me except his prices were better:
Valve Cover Gasket, Vacuum Line, & Pressure Wash = $290
Oil Filter House = $240
Oil Line = $56

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
You really really need to try some of these things yourself. Google some of this stuff on YouTube there are video DIY's.
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
MrEmitter

Ok I called a couple of shops near me and got a quote for the radiator hoses and engine belts. They're asking for a total of $420(Techstar) and the other place(Precision Import) was asking for $580. They were both really helpful and really wanted me to pick them. Hopefully in two weeks/next pay day, I'll get this taken care of at Techstar. But the search is still on for the lower price.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
MrEmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I enjoy taking my car in for these sorts of things just to test the honesty of the dealer.
I did like the fact that they showed me the problems rather than just giving me a list.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I never considered, and still don't, consider myself very mechanically competent. Yet, I think BMWs are absurdly easy to work on...just DIY.