E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmitter View Post
Ok I called a couple of shops near me and got a quote for the radiator hoses and engine belts. They're asking for a total of $420(Techstar) and the other place(Precision Import) was asking for $580. They were both really helpful and really wanted me to pick them. Hopefully in two weeks/next pay day, I'll get this taken care of at Techstar. But the search is still on for the lower price.
Did you just gloss over the part where I said to DIY?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Did you just gloss over the part where I said to DIY?
Thanks but I want a mechanic(someone with experience) to work on my car. Maybe next time.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
You can do this man!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Thanks but I want a mechanic(someone with experience) to work on my car. Maybe next time.
Many of the "mechanics" that I've met are idiots. That includes "master" technicians and BMW dealer technicians as well. Don't always think the title guarantees you anything. At the end of the day, it's just a paycheck for most people. The only way you can assure a job is done right is if you do it yourself. That's why no "mechanic" has ever or will ever touch my car. Same likely holds true for a lot of people here.

As others have said, these cars are fairly easy to work on.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Belts in a manual take about 15 mins. and cost $40 or so for both belts.

While there, 3 pulleys for another $60

Breaker bar and T-50 bit. The reading how to do it will take longer than doing it.

I'm a functional moron I'm told by many that know me, yet I did belts myself and was very proud and you can be too.

You've got 200K fanatics here, of which you can count on at least 4-5 of them to have your back!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Belts in a manual take about 15 mins. and cost $40 or so for both belts.

While there, 3 pulleys for another $60

Breaker bar and T-50 bit. The reading how to do it will take longer than doing it.

I'm a functional moron I'm told by many that know me, yet I did belts myself and was very proud and you can be too.

You've got 200K fanatics here, of which you can count on at least 4-5 of them to have your back!

I did them on an automatic in about 10 minutes

And yes. Dmax always has your back. sometimes literally!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
I can understand how you don't want to just jump into this job. I often balk at repair bills friends/family pay but I also take my garage/tools/experience for granted when I am thinking of how bad they got hosed. Truthfully, IMO, if you are going to own an e46, or any 10+ year old car, you should begin learning to DIY, if not on this job on the next job, as there will certainly be more repairs to be done. Once you begin doing a few jobs, you'll see that really what you are talking about here is simple. Perhaps post in the local forums for a local fanatic that can come help out.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I already got two PMs willing to help out. A San Diegan and an OC dude. I want to see someone work on my car first, watch them do their thing and learn. Then the next time I need to do some repairs, I can tackle the job myself with a little more knowledge and also with the help of DIY threads and vids. I understand that I do need to learn my way to maintain my e46 myself.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Belts are super easy to do yourself. Especially if you don't have a mechanical fan to remove.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I enjoy taking my car in for these sorts of things just to test the honesty of the dealer.
Same here. I've been to two at BMW West Springfield, MA and both times they couldn't find a thing except for tire wear. Said it was one of the best cars they'd seen. Not that its likely, but if i HAD to go to the dealer for something I'd be comfortable going to them because they seem to be honest.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
I already got two PMs willing to help out. A San Diegan and an OC dude. I want to see someone work on my car first, watch them do their thing and learn. Then the next time I need to do some repairs, I can tackle the job myself with a little more knowledge and also with the help of DIY threads and vids. I understand that I do need to learn my way to maintain my e46 myself.
Trust me...I had never done anything other then an oil change before I got my bimmer. I've got the entire cooling system, fuel pump, fuel filter, FSR, and spark plugs under my belt, and can't wait for more! That's a hefty amount of money to drop on something you could do yourself...and before these forums I was on the same boat. But there's so much info here, your bound to get it right.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
Trust me...I had never done anything other then an oil change before I got my bimmer. I've got the entire cooling system, fuel pump, fuel filter, FSR, and spark plugs under my belt, and can't wait for more! That's a hefty amount of money to drop on something you could do yourself...and before these forums I was on the same boat. But there's so much info here, your bound to get it right.
change your oil pan gasket. that'll give you something to chew over for a while

OVER A MILLION VIEWS