E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
oates

My Ride: 2004 320i
Fuel Filter vacuum hose bust + error codes

Hi guys,

made some posts a while ago about my RPM floating up and down when I let off the gas, when it would fall below 2000rpm it would start to flow up and down and then eventually come to rest at 1000rpm. It felt like a leak of sorts. well, today, after my mechanic lifted the car, he found a busted hose. See image below.

Anyway, he fixed it and took the car home tonight to drive around on the highway, there were also some codes showing up:

CEL

227 Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded
128 EWS Transmission Parity

When going into the transmission section on the computer, all is clear, but the general error codes show above. Any ideas? Car was purchased by my mechanic and transmission warrantied by auction people (he paid $120 for that inspection/warranty doc.) Don't feel any problems with transmission, smooth.

Anyways, at least we are getting to the bottom of some things, when I got the car, some lunatic had a 3rd party immobiliser installed on the car, when it doesn't need that due to the key/chip security, the car wasn't starting without holding a fob in a very particular position - had to rip out all that crap that was attached to the fuel pump. Bit by bit, I drove a 96 lex es300, it was old, rusting and reliable as hell. I felt comfortable, I think I will get more comfortable as all issues iron out and maintenance issues smooth out and I know the car well, then we can be friends and I can trust her, its early days in our relationship yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9676a9b51741f523aa1f88b3d8396824.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	462455  

Last edited by oates; 07-28-2012 at 10:13 AM.
oates is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Not sure about the codes but from the photo you need:

a new fuel filter
new 1/4" rubber vacuum tubing
new rubber fuel line (I think 1 foot is enough)
and 3 new hose clamps.

I think that covers it.

Easy DIY if you so chose.

GL!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
Not sure about the codes but from the photo you need:

a new fuel filter
new 1/4" rubber vacuum tubing
new rubber fuel line (I think 1 foot is enough)
and 3 new hose clamps.

I think that covers it.

Easy DIY if you so chose.

GL!
Agreed, but make it 6 hose clamps
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | Mango | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks | tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush | FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
This same hose for me had a crack in it when I did my fuel filter. Taped over it temporarily. I don't know if the hole was there before doing the fuel filter. Never had any issues.

I do agree with those above me, all of that needs to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
REKLESS ROB

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Good God man! Change that fuel filter!
REKLESS ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
oates

Changed Fuel Filter, hose and clamps. Still had problem. So mechanic after smoking it out, found leak at intake manifold (hope i got that right) replaced that too. Drove 2 hrs home, same problem. Obviously, there is still a leak somewhere. Was told that fuel trim code basically means the computer has adjusted the fuel spray as far as it possibly can, but it's still not enough to run right, so must have a bigtime intake leak.

Mechanic (who I bought car from) even called Sunday to see if it went away, I said no, he asked me to bring it back again and has been helpful, he said they'll nail it - there is no cost to me, he was apologetic. So its not the hose at the fuel filter (replaced along with fuel filter) not at the intake manifold, replaced, hmm...could be a lot of crappy hoses to find, they will smoke it out again and see whats up. Hopefully that will solve the 227 Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded - by most posts on this forum, thats definitely a vacuum leak problem.

As for the 128 EWS Transmission Parity - some say thats an aftermarket crappy part, might need realigning?

Vacuum/air leak ruins driving experience, yuck, like the car is breaking wind, can't enjoy it when foot is off the gas lol.

Just got the car a month, 152000KM on it, I think I might be catching it just at that point were there are a lot of preventative maintenance needed. Cooling system looks good, had mechanic check that as per thread on forum, better after market aluminium fan etc. but I remembering reading something about another kit with lots of hose replacement. Used to ride in a 96 Lexus Es300, was rusting out at 390,000KMS, but it never broke down - goes and goes, seems like BMWs will def. need more TLC than the Japanese cars, hoping to get to that point of enjoyment and reliability with this car. Still feel nervous about it. I guess you all been through those miss my old ride moments, takes time to develop trust in a car lol
Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
Hang in there oates, indeed its at a mileage that preventative maintenance is starting to pile, but as soon as you found your trust in this car you'll never think about the Lexus again
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | Mango | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks | tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush | FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
oates

Hey guys,

just an update.

You know, I read a post somewhere re: e46 maintenance and I could swear there is something called a hose kit, so you can change a bunch of them, like every 100,000KM. Anyway, when I met with my mechanic he said no, no need. Anyway, they smoked it out again in Aug. They found three more including the intake manifold, it was the large one, the others little.

They fixed all the leaks and smoked again, no smoke leaked. They said for sure, there is no vacuum leak now.

CEL was reset and these errors:

227 Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded
128 EWS Transmission Parity

GONE!

Now....that's not the end of it.

I drove the car for 1hr, on the highway, when I let of the gas, the rpm dropped nice and quickly, it wasn't floating up and down, it was perfect, no feeling of any vacuum issues. After 1hr though, i felt it again, but 80% better than before, the rpm when hitting 1600 would float up and down a few times then come to fall below 1600. So it returned but no where near as severe.

I told them and they were getting confused at this point, CEL did not come back on, they said drive it for a month, let's see what happens (they are nice guys, but lets face it, mechanics hate crap like this, they like brake changes and simple stuff).

So I drove it the US and back, put about 10,000KM on it, issue got worse but never as bad as it was when I bought it, I would say it is still 50% better than before the initial vacuum leaks were found. To date, 6 leaks were found (hose kit, should have just bought it and given it to them).

So now it is 2 months later, the CEL is on again (just recently), there is still a vacuum issue but now, it doesn't flow up and down at 1600rpm, it just seems to slowly unnaturally float about 1000, like someone opened the door on a wintry day and the wind got in! I'm guessing the vacuum leak or busted hose somewhere got worse, and this is big enough to trigger sensors and bring back on the CEL.

My feeling is they did nail all vacuum leaks, but there are other hoses on their last legs and maybe started popping especially with summer now changing to fall.

Thanks for all your comments etc. any advice much appreciated.

Starting to get the hang of things, doing plugs (NKG) and breaks (German brand) in a few weeks, starting to put a stamp on the car, I'm doing oil changes carefully on time, should other fluids be flushed, i don't know when they were done before, but mechanic always says no, trying to save me money (personal friend).
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
oates

Update (6 months later):

Ok, yikes, quite a journey. Since Oct 2012, no CEL issues, no errors.

However, despite smoking out and finding all hoses that were frayed and solving that issue, even changing the gas cap, still 9 months after owning the vehicle, I have not been able to solve this issue. The funny thing is, no errors.

The last thing I tried was a CCV (cold weather) kit on the advice of my mechanic and BMW dealer. Nada.

To summarise:

RPM does the following:

when taking the foot off the pedal, as it falls through 2000 down towards 1000rpm, it jumps up and down several times till eventually it falls to 1000.

This does not happen every time, it is more prominent when driving in head winds and downhill but can still happen uphill (rarely), it feels like air intake issues but I can't nail it.

The rpm behaves slightly volatile also around 1000, barely moving below and above it sometimes by itself, rpm usually doesn't raise up without hitting the gas, right?

I have no vacuum leaks and no errors but still face the problem all be it not as severe as before. I've tried everything, it is not harmful to the car to my knowledge but has destroyed my driving experience to the point that I have considered selling the car. Frustrating.

Never experienced this before, even on 14 yr old beaters, looked all over the net for a solution, can't find one especially now that I have 6 months and no more errors. My mechanic said many older BWM (e46) have these types of issues, not harmful, maybe, but who wants to feel the rpm going up and down with the foot off the pedal.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Likely the idle control valve may need to be cleaned/replaced??

There is a lot more to all of this.

Suggest you read the first 3 links below in my signature and if you have a scan tool that reads real time data, check the fuel trims and see what is going on.

I guess you are learning not to listen to "mechanics"!

Also check this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote