E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
DanInAustin

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Child Seat and Install in E46 Convertible

I recently bought a 2002 M3 convertible and am trying to figure out how to get a car seat in the back for my kiddo. Our daughter is 4 1/2, and we'd like to keep her in a forward facing 5-point latch seat for as long as she'll let us.

I've seen some people say that they used Recaro ProSport. I tried to install one this morning and failed utterly. It seemed like if the LATCH strap was another 2 inches longer I could have gotten it to fit, but as it was I couldn't get the connector, my hand, and the Recaro in a spot to snap it in. Tried the seat belt method, but the bottom of the Recaro seemed to move around a LOT - not sure if there's a trick to get the belt tight on there.

Plus, I couldn't find the friggin tether anchors. The manual seemed to say that it was underneath the top cover, but I have no idea how to get into that.

So, any suggestions for seats that will fit, or how to install them? Any YouTube videos out there?

Thanks for any help.

Dan
DanInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
ubiquity0

My Ride: 2001 330Cic
The tether anchor is under the top cover. You need to open the top part way to access it.

Not sure about getting the LATCH to install. Maybe try it with the top open so you can really put some weight on it?
ubiquity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
DanInAustin

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Wow

Thanks ubiquity. So, part-way through putting the top up I release the button and run the straps under where the top cover goes, and there is a magical hidden anchor there. Then when the top is all the way up/down there are a couple of tether straps that disappear into the top cover?

Strange. That's what it sounded like from reading the manual, but I didn't believe it - thanks for confirming. But still strange. Maybe it's just some BMW mojo thinking that I haven't gotten used to yet. Crazy Germans.
DanInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
ubiquity0

My Ride: 2001 330Cic
Yes- it should be just 1 strap though. It runs under the headrest. The tether point is only a couple of inches behind the headrest but is completely covered by the convertible top cover unless you open the top partially.

I have a Sunshinekids brand seat. It seems more compact than the Recaro that I have in the SUV.
ubiquity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
cramer

My Ride: M3/M5/330cic
We have the ProSport. I have a tough time making the Latch system work so I just use the seat belt. Either the ProSport is too wide, or the rear seat too narrow... either way, not ideal.

The car seat doesn't move with the stock belt when it's all tight. Make sure you have the base of the ProSport flipped around to fit the contour of the seat.

And yes, it's a strange spot for the rear tether hook.

cramer is offline   Reply With Quote