E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
Replacement Carbon Fibre Trim

Hi all,

After trying out the CF overlay from bimmian.com and being totally underwhelmed, I am now loking at replacement CF trim. I like to glossy look to match with my pedals, paddles and steering wheel trim so a wrap is not in the cards. The only one I can find that is reasonable is from Umnitza:

http://www.umnitza.com/interior-carb...ces-p-193.html

Does anyone have any experience with this product or have any other recommendations?

Thanks
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
///M Powerd

Anyone?

2003.5 M3 Coupe. Jet Black/Black Nappa/Full CF Trim
Eisenmann Race 83MM Bilstein PSS10 Michelin PSS Powerflex RTABs/FCABs
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
They look great, but that price is ouch! My girlfriend is gonna wrap my trim next week with CF look foil. I thought i first try that for 35 bucks before investing some real money like you I haven't been able to find them any cheaper than you, the cheapest I found was this http://www.tuning-in.eu/interior-car...-dr-sedan.html
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | Mango | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks | tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush | FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
There are several places that sell the fabric. You can even find it on eBay. The hard part is getting the resin right. I saw some recently that did not cost much more than the film, but I can not find the link now. I would start with Google. The biggest problem is that so many places fold it, and it is hard to get those fold lines flattened out. If you can find a place that sells it for non-automotive use, it is usually cheaper. Once the word "automotive" is involved, the price goes up.

Here's one that is not dedicated to automotive use. The prices look pretty good. They also claim that they never fold their fabric.
http://compositeenvisions.com/raw-fa...rbon-fiber-97/

Last edited by MJLavelle; 06-03-2012 at 03:04 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Vigilante

Wrapped my interior trim with CF look foil, before (wood = Myrthe)

Van BMW 320i E46

and after

Van BMW 320i E46

It was fun doing it but I wouldn't recommend using foil, use the real stuff with resin etc. the end result will be much nicer.
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | Mango | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks | tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush | FCA+FCAB | Struts
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
///M Powerd

Yea I'm not a fan of the matte CF wraps as my interior is black like yours and it seems like it does not create enough contrast.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Vigilante

Yup, maybe I can wrap it with a glossy film/foil but it will be a tedious job. I'm happy I don't see any wood though
Old 06-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
///M Powerd

Wood trim on a 3-series Maybe on a 6 or 7 series.

Good job on the wrap, looks so much better than before.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
BeeamW

My Ride: 04' BMW 330Ci (vert)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
Yup, maybe I can wrap it with a glossy film/foil but it will be a tedious job. I'm happy I don't see any wood though
Man, you guys have patience. I have a vert and I cannot figure out how someone can trim those curved door handles without having any crease. In pic it might not show but in person it would bug the hell out me. But then again I can't come up with $800-900 now to replace them;so I have to stay happy with my wood.

Last edited by BeeamW; 06-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.
BeeamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Look for a guy in The Showroom who does real carbon fiber on your pieces. Think his name is nacho or something.

It amazes me at how many ppl think a textured or printed vinyl/foil is anything close to what real vacuumed resin laid carbon fiber piece looks like.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
It amazes me at how many ppl think a textured or printed vinyl/foil is anything close to what real vacuumed resin laid carbon fiber piece looks like.
Wasn't thinking that at all, I was thinking budget
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
BeeamW

My Ride: 04' BMW 330Ci (vert)
Quote:
Look for a guy in The Showroom who does real carbon fiber on your pieces. Think his name is nacho or something.

Saw those threads on DIYs but it's a drag having to take all my trims off, ship it out and then wait for it, wait for it and then put them back again. I don't know, may be I will have to look into it or bite the bullet one of these days. And I have to see one in person to be sold.....am very anal.
BeeamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
MJLavelle

Quote:

It amazes me how many people think their real CF is so much better, since it is just a decorative item. If it served some sort of structural purpose, then it may make a difference. But, since it is decorative, then if people are happy with vinyl, then let them be. Not everyone wants to spend a fortune for something that is only decorative. If they are happy, let them be. It is not as if real CF is making your car lighter, or perform better. In fact, it probably increases weight, if it is applied over your regular trim.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
It amazes me how many people think their real CF is so much better, since it is just a decorative item. If it served some sort of structural purpose, then it may make a difference. But, since it is decorative, then if people are happy with vinyl, then let them be. Not everyone wants to spend a fortune for something that is only decorative. It is not as if real CF is making your car lighter, or perform better. In fact, it probably increases weight, if it is applied over your regular trim.
it should not amaze you that it looks much better.
it's not about being stronger or lighter in this case. i agree it's about looks like you've said.
There is NOTHING similar in appearance other than a criss cross look. You can not get the depth, gloss or 3D effect of that crappy looking vinyl to what CF really looks like. Period. i'm sorry i'm not trying to sound elitist. but compare the two in person and i'm sure you would agree like anyone else asked the same question.

now if we were discussing a low cost alternative to covering the wood. that's open to debate and opinion. and anyone's personal opinion on what looks good differs.
but comparing the two side by side that's evidence that can not be denied.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

now for fun we can use this example.
although trying to be the same, there is a difference. one looks classy, one looks cheesy
it's kinda like this

or this
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
MJLavelle

Quote:
it should not amaze you that it looks much better.
it's not about being stronger or lighter in this case. i agree it's about looks like you've said.
There is NOTHING similar in appearance other than a criss cross look. You can not get the depth, gloss or 3D effect of that crappy looking vinyl to what CF really looks like. Period. i'm sorry i'm not trying to sound elitist. but compare the two in person and i'm sure you would agree like anyone else asked the same question.

now if we were discussing a low cost alternative to covering the wood. that's open to debate and opinion. and anyone's personal opinion on what looks good differs.
but comparing the two side by side that's evidence that can not be denied.
I never denied that it looks better.
I never denied that it does not look the same.
Any moron can look at them and tell that one looks better than the other, from 18 inches away.
I don't think one person here has ever said that they looked better or even th same, from a short distance away. But, to someone walking by on the street, it can be a bit hard to tell, even for someone like me, who knows the differences very well.
I just don't understand why people who have paid a lot of money for the real thing have to come in to threads that are very clearly about vinyl wrap, and start pissing on everyone, and telling them how their stuff looks like sh!t. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that from 5 feet away, through a car window, it can be hard to tell if it is real or vinyl, especially to the average person. But if people who have vinyl are happy, then let them be. Personally, I have vinyl, which I installed to make sure I liked the look, before buying the materials to do the CF wrap myself. I have a box full of CF, resin, and adhesive sitting on my counter, and I have already done a few pieces as practice. I showed my wife, and she said "Oh, cool! It looks like that stuff you had on there before!" In other words, I had to point out the differences.
So, your post or the one after it with the stupid pictures is not really hurting me either way. But I am saying that the fact that you had to start reading, and decide to post in a thread that was very clearly about vinyl wrap, just shows that you wanted to:
Let people know you had the real thing.
Make them feel inferior because they don't.
Both of these things tell me that you are insecure about the fact that the average person may not know and recognize the difference in the "richness and the depth" and whatever bullsh!t you want to say about real CF, and the vinyl wrap being discussed here.
But if you think that just because you used real CF it somehow makes you a better person, or your car a better car, then you are as fake and plastic as that vinyl you are making fun of.
And again, just to be clear, I have already made the investment in the materials and supplies and labor to cover my trim in real CF, but it will not bother me if people want to use vinyl, or if the average person on the street can not tell the difference. And, I won't feel the need to piss on people who chose the cheaper, easier route.
And if someone asks my opinion, I will tell them that the vinyl is infinitely easier, and a lot less labor intensive to do, and that the average person walking by your car will not know the difference. I will also tell them that the CF is much more detailed in person, from inches away. But it is a lot harder to do, and it may be a bit hard for the average person to tell the difference.
I will also tell them that the CF is ridiculously overpriced, and that you can buy the materials to do it yourself for not much more than you spend on vinyl. And with some experimentation, and a lot of attention to detail, they can have real CF, without spending so much that they feel the need to act superior.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 06-19-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Brushed aluminum vinyl is where it's at
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #18
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Any moron can look at them and tell that one looks better than the other, from 18 inches away.
I don't think one person here has ever said that they looked better or even th same, from a short distance away. But, to someone walking by on the street, it can be a bit hard to tell, even for someone like me, who knows the differences very well.
I just don't understand why people who have paid a lot of money for the real thing have to come in to threads that are very clearly about vinyl wrap, and start pissing on everyone, and telling them how their stuff looks like sh!t. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that from 5 feet away, through a car window, it can be hard to tell if it is real or vinyl, especially to the average person. But if people who have vinyl are happy, then let them be. Personally, I have vinyl, which I installed to make sure I liked the look, before buying the materials to do the CF wrap myself.
So, your post or the one after it with the stupid pictures is not really hurting me either way. But I am saying that the fact that you had to start reading, and decide to post in a thread that was very clearly about vinyl wrap, just shows that you wanted to:
Let people know you had the real thing.
Make them feel inferior because they don't.
Both of these things tell me that you are insecure about the fact that the average person may not know and recognize the difference in the "richness and the depth" and whatever bullsh!t you want to say about real CF, and the vinyl wrap being discussed here.
this thread Is About The Real Thing. NOT VINYL! read the Original Post rookie. he wants the real deal and wants to know who has a good price on it. the overlay IS real carbon fiber!!!!!
now if you didn't look like a chump before you certainly do now with your about how you can't afford the real thing and feel inferior. you have the issue with it, get over it. read the thread, but you read only how you felt insecure about not having real cf and your insecurities took over what was clearly written and what you thought it said.
i have no insecurites about it. i sold my CF trim for oem Brushed Aluminum years ago. so where's your theory now?
that's right..it's your issue and the reason you're reading incorrectly. PLAIN AS DAY
and yes, if "any moron" can tell. then lucky for us all your group fits and able to comment.

Since you posted your ideas why I posted, allow me to provide insight on your reason about posting. Yours must be:
1) you lack reading comprehension
2) you have a huge complex on your (fake wannabe) CF vinyl look trim
3) you're butt hurt by the tuxedo comparison (which was posted with the words "For Fun") and exacerbates your insecurities.
4) you think i'm a bully for saying there is no comparision, again your insecurities.

Get Over It, move on.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Vigilante

Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Powerd View Post
Hi all,

After trying out the CF overlay from bimmian.com and being totally underwhelmed, I am now loking at replacement CF trim. I like to glossy look to match with my pedals, paddles and steering wheel trim so a wrap is not in the cards. The only one I can find that is reasonable is from Umnitza:

http://www.umnitza.com/interior-carb...ces-p-193.html

Does anyone have any experience with this product or have any other recommendations?

Thanks
I have to agree with Alex on this (not that Alex needs additional people to agree...). If you read this post and follow the link you will realize that this is all about the "real" CF overlay, not vinyl...no need to be butt hurt about it....just a mis-understanding on someone's part...

To the OP, I think both offerings are for CF overlay trim in 2X2 weave pattern. I know the one offered by Bimmian (Auto Carbon CF overlay) is a 2X2 weave. This is the one I have for my ///M.
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL Interior Door Panels l OEM CSL Bootlid l CSL Center Console | Nav s/w v32 | LCM s/w 4.5 One-Touch Triple Blink | OEM Black Interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Bar/SSK/Cross-Drilled Rotors l Gruppe M CAI l BMW iPod/Sirius Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l One piece 1x1 cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 06-20-2012 at 07:59 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote