E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
clyde howard

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 CI
2002 BMW 325 ci fuel pump keep going out

I am on 4th fuel pump in 2 mo. BMW dealer replaced the first one and fuel filter , and fuel relay, cost $1,200.00 and has replaced 3 more since then, at no charge, but they say its just bad pumps, car will be fine for a few days, then wont start due to fuel pump bad, send to BMW dealer, they replace pump, car ok till next week, then repeat the process. any Idea's....2002 BMW 325 ci.
clyde howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Sounds like it may not be a fuel pump problem?

Hard time believing there have been 4 bad pumps in 2 months.

I have only heard of a single replacement OE Siemens/VDO pump failure just past 2 years.

I would question the key, ignition switch or and electrical problem.

Probably the very first thing I would do is to replace Fuse #54 in the glove box and replace or swap Fuse #3 in the DME box.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 12-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
How long have you owned the car, anybody messed with the wiring?
lszlszx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
clyde howard

had 2 mo. all fuses and relays have been changed by BMW dealer, Thinking Jet Pump mabey
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
jfoj

Jet pump is SUPER easy to rule out and they rarely have problems.

Read the 2nd link below in my signature.

You can bring up the Hidden OBC Menu and read how much fuel is in each 1/2 of the fuel tank.

Tank levels should be even until about 1/2 thank the drivers side should empty.

Is there a certain fuel level where you keep having problems?

I might be thinking there is some screwed up EWS? Key is far fetched as compared to the EWS, the EWS does have control over the fuel pump as I recall? If I am wrong, I am sure Scott or someone will confirm if the fuel pump is EWS controlled.

Ignition switch is something I might consider?

Describe in detail what happens when you have the no start situations.

Use the terminology below.

Cranking means starter is spinning the engine, but engine will not start or kick.

No cranking means the starter does not spin the engine, basically silence when turning the key.

Cranks, starts then engine dies means the engine will initial start then quit.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Last edited by jfoj; 12-12-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
clyde howard

it cranks but no start, replace fuel pump, car will start ever time, car seems ok till about 1/2 tank, if you kill car , you will need to replace fuel pump..
Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Try my usual test for fuel pumps to get them going again. This way no wires are touched and it verifies it is the pump and nothing else:
Pull the rear seat and fuel pump cover. Have someone crank the engine while you tap the fuel pump assemble with a small piece of wood. If it starts the fuel pump is bad. Common problem for no starts. Don't hit it too hard as you just want to shock the pump and not break anything. You can actually do it yourself you just have to operate the key with your left hand while whacking the pump with your right.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
I know that will not fix the problem but may narrow it down a little. What kind of gas are you using? Back when they first started putting ethanol in the fuel we had a rash of pumps fail. All of the water in the fuel tanks was getting in the cars. You might want to have the fuel pumped out of the tank in case its a contamination issue.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

Tank levels should be even until about 1/2 thank the drivers side should empty.
I checked; this is not the way the sucking jet pump works. I plotted the levels by taking OBC readings every thirty miles.
First the fuel level completely empties from the driver's side while the passenger side stays full at about 33 liters. Only when the driver's side level goes to zero does the passenger side start to lower.
A properly working pump and sucking jet keeps filling the passenger side from the driver's side.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I checked; this is not the way the sucking jet pump works. I plotted the levels by taking OBC readings every thirty miles.
First the fuel level completely empties from the driver's side while the passenger side stays full at about 33 liters. Only when the driver's side level goes to zero does the passenger side start to lower.
A properly working pump and sucking jet keeps filling the passenger side from the driver's side.
I think you did not understand my statement, I did have a typo in the statement. What I stated was, "Tank levels should be even until about 1/2 thank the drivers side should empty." What it should have stated is "Tank level should be even until about 1/2 tank, then the driver side should empty". But I believe we are saying the same thing?

From a full tank, the fuel level drops evenly until somewhere around 1/2 of a tank (I have not checked the level specifically, probably the 33 liters you mention). The sucking jet pump is CONSTANTLY transferring fuel from the drivers side to the passenger side buy using return fuel from the fuel filter/pressure regulator to siphon fuel from the drivers side to the passenger side. The return fuel from the filter/pressure regulator technically is sent to the passenger side of the tank, not the drivers side.

Once the fuel level has dropped below the center raised part of the tank, you will see the driver side continue to empty (fuel being transferred into the passenger side), unless you corner hard and slosh fuel back into the drivers side of the tank, which will quickly be transferred back to the passenger side of the tank. During this time the passenger side of the fuel tank will appear to stay somewhat constant.

Of your passenger fuel level is EVER lower than the drivers side, you have a problem. Most likely a fuel soft fuel pump or a sending unit issue.

Note this behavior is referenced for Left Hand Drive vehicles.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
2002 BMW 325 ci fuel pump keep going out

Did the dealer ever test any of the "failed" pumps? As was noted, VDO pumps rarely fail except from "exhaustion."

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
From a full tank, the fuel level drops evenly until somewhere around 1/2 of a tank (I have not checked the level specifically, probably the 33 liters you mention). The sucking jet pump is CONSTANTLY transferring fuel from the drivers side to the passenger side buy using return fuel from the fuel filter/pressure regulator to siphon fuel from the drivers side to the passenger side. The return fuel from the filter/pressure regulator technically is sent to the passenger side of the tank, not the drivers side.

Once the fuel level has dropped below the center raised part of the tank, you will see the driver side continue to empty (fuel being transferred into the passenger side), unless you corner hard and slosh fuel back into the drivers side of the tank, which will quickly be transferred back to the passenger side of the tank. During this time the passenger side of the fuel tank will appear to stay somewhat constant.
I said it pretty clearly the first time. Passenger level stays totally full at 33 liters until the driver's side is totally drained.
Levels never drop evenly, and there is no effect from the crossover.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote