E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
nice.
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #42
kmartgt

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
Just bought my kit and a $1.00 bluetooth dongle off of amazon. I cannot wait to be able to bluetooth pandora from my phone! What other options would be worthwhile to reprogram the steering wheel buttons for? Trunk would be convenient for R/T but I would still like to get some use out of the ((({ one...
kmartgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #43
cslee

My Ride: E53
What bluetooth dongle did you buy?
cslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #44
kmartgt

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-USB-...uetooth+dongle

But I'm not sure if its the right one. Good think its only a dollar...
kmartgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #45
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Mine just got shipped. Woohoo! I hope it gets here next week. Will there ever be MP3 support for the cracker? It'll be a huge pain to have to continually convert my music.

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #46
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
bookmark for when im not so fvcked up
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
cslee

Anyone knows how to feed the propeller video to the X5 Nav screen?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #48
nmcclana

My Ride: 2000 323i
It should be pretty easy - the Prop generates standard NTSC baseband, and I think the NAV screen takes an NTSC signal.

Btw - almost done iwth the Kustomizer app;
nmcclana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
nmcclana

Just pushed out some big updates;

Kustomizer App
The Kracker Kustomizer is a windows utility that lets you change the default booting mode, remap buttons, and update the firmware. It's a preview release, so let me know what features should be added and any bugs. Here's a quick demo;

Download Kustomizer . You'll need the latest firmware for button remaping and settings storage.

Firmware v0.51
NEW: Command Blast Mode
Command blast mode lets you fire off individual commands straight to the bus. It can be accessed through the Kustomizer App.

NEW: Config Mode
Through the Kustomizer, you can change the default bootup mode, disable/enable the touch buttons, and configure event triggers. Your customizations are stored on the Kracker's EEPROM.

There are also bug fixes, better LED indications, and a lot of small improvements. You can use the Kustomizer to upgrade firmware, just download the binary and click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' tab

Download Firmware V0.51

KBus Core
I've split out the core KBus core object for folks who are making their own projects. It's about 1kb, and runs in a single cog. A few new features here;
  • New methods to read temp, RPM, and Odometer from the KMB
  • Metric / Imperial conversion switch, so temp and distance can be customized
Everything is up on the project page - Let me know what you think of it!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #50
Wickedly

did you raise the price?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
nmcclana

Naw - it's the same. As long as people keep buying it, I'll keep on working on it. There's some immediate stuff I'm working on (Bluetooth, Data Logging, DSP), but plenty more enhancements are possible.

btw - anyone have a NAV unit who can send me some ibus packets from it? I'm pretty sure the NAV can be queried or sends a location update every few minutes, but I don't have one to test myself.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #52
Wickedly

I have a dynavin clone enco unit but idk what you mean by that
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #53
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Subbed for more updates

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #54
cslee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcclana View Post
Naw - it's the same. As long as people keep buying it, I'll keep on working on it. There's some immediate stuff I'm working on (Bluetooth, Data Logging, DSP), but plenty more enhancements are possible.

btw - anyone have a NAV unit who can send me some ibus packets from it? I'm pretty sure the NAV can be queried or sends a location update every few minutes, but I don't have one to test myself.
Let me work on the NAV codes.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #55
CSL323

Questions for OP.

Another fanatic told me I can't use AUX in the way you have written up. Is this true? I have an 06 MKIV.

Do I have to pull out my vents to reach the back of my unit?

Also, can you write-up how to remove the left trunk carpet panel so I can expose the wiring? I have a Ci and my nav unit is in a spot there also

Last edited by CSL323; 08-16-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #56
cslee

nmcclana,
Any idea why you dont power the kracker off the I-bus? I'm thinking of putting a 5V regulator and power it off the I-bus connector. I think it will not drain so much of the battery. If it does drain some significant wattage, can you put the propeller into sleep-mode and wake up frequently to check if the kar is awake?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #57
nmcclana

@CSLee - I originally had it hooked up that way. The problem is the voltage regulator - it has to drop the 12V down to 3.3, and it's a linear vreg, so it produces a lot of waste heat, even when the Prop is sleeping. Eventually, it will get too hot and shutdown. So I suggest you use a Cigarette USB adapter - those have switching power supplies and drop the power down to 5V.

@CSL - I don't know about your car. For mine, there's just this folded felt, you can tuck it in and remove it to get to the CD changer cable. The cable is just hanging there and it already has a connector.

I've been working on the bluetooth command implementation, I want to be able to configure it through the Kustomizer. So far, the command options I have are;
  • Automatic Unlock - automatically unlock the doors when the specified bluetooth device is nearby.
  • Command Remap - Trigger an Action based on a command sent via bluetooth.
  • Text Redirect - Redirect text sent via bluetooth to a MID or RAD device.

Anything else? What would be useful?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #58
cslee

Quote:
@CSLee - I originally had it hooked up that way. The problem is the voltage regulator - it has to drop the 12V down to 3.3, and it's a linear vreg, so it produces a lot of waste heat, even when the Prop is sleeping. Eventually, it will get too hot and shutdown. So I suggest you use a Cigarette USB adapter - those have switching power supplies and drop the power down to 5V.

@CSL - I don't know about your car. For mine, there's just this folded felt, you can tuck it in and remove it to get to the CD changer cable. The cable is just hanging there and it already has a connector.

I've been working on the bluetooth command implementation, I want to be able to configure it through the Kustomizer. So far, the command options I have are;
  • Automatic Unlock - automatically unlock the doors when the specified bluetooth device is nearby.
  • Command Remap - Trigger an Action based on a command sent via bluetooth.
  • Text Redirect - Redirect text sent via bluetooth to a MID or RAD device.

Anything else? What would be useful?

I would like a better challenge-response to unlocking the doors. Some form of password. Maybe that's the "Command Remap". How do you send a command via bluetooth? Does it require an app?

How about using the bluetooth connection get OBD from bluetooth OBD dongle. Would be similar to what you already do but just over the bluetooth serial.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #59
nmcclana

I was thinking it would be passive, so you could walk up and the doors would automatically unlock. For that, it would be based on the MAC id of your phone. But having a password option in addition to the MAC is a good idea. Of course, the whole bluetooth functionality is optional.

There are a couple different Apps you can use to send bluetooth commands. You pair your phone to the adapter and when you open the app, it connects. Each button press gets sent to the adapter.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #60
CSL323

Quote:
Mmmm, I see. Looks like it's different for the coupé's. Will investigate when my kracker arrives... One day... Getting impatient! So excited.