E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
School me on HD projectors

I haven't looked into anything related to the topic, but within the next year I'd like to get some sort of HD projector setup for my basement living room. There are no windows in this particular part of the basement and a fairly sizable wall, so I figured this would be a fun thing to do.

My budget isn't huge for this, so I might need to scrap the idea, but can I get a decent projector and screen setup for $1k?

Also, I've seen a couple of CL postings in my area which seemingly contain decent equipment, but I can't find much info when I look for reviews. If these are trash, just say so

Edit: FWIW this smells like the good ol' White Van Scam.

CL Option 1:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/3552345375.html

CL Option 2:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/3596088404.html

CL Option 3:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/3597068361.html

** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 02-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
If you are going to go projector, you really should go all the way. I've been contemplating putting one in my basement theater too and I've priced out a good set up including an electric screen for ~$1700.

All of the ones you linked to look like they'd be crappy and projectors aren't as forgiving to inferior technology as LCD panels are.

Edit to add: Those specs are far too good to be true, and especially for the price they are asking. Keep looking.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
There is a lot more to projectors than specs.

You get what you pay for (to a point.)

JMO.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
If you are going to go projector, you really should go all the way. I've been contemplating putting one in my basement theater too and I've priced out a good set up including an electric screen for ~$1700.

All of the ones you linked to look like they'd be crappy and projectors aren't as forgiving to inferior technology as LCD panels are.

Edit to add: Those specs are far too good to be true, and especially for the price they are asking. Keep looking.
Yep I spent some time digging and just as I thought, these are bogus Chinese POS projectors....white van scam!

I have no need for an electric screen, so hopefully that could bring down the price somewhat. I'm mainly concerned that I get something worthwhile, so I'll need to do my homework. If it ends up that I need to spend more, I may do it.

I wonder if these are subject to Black Friday sales and such...if so, I'm patient and can wait.

@Glock - Thanks, any recommendations?

** Removed **
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Kvasi

My Ride: 320D touring
Ony one thing to say about projectors, buy one from the known brands. Sutch as BenQ, Sony, JVC.. Read up on home cinema forums and do some homework on each before you buy.
You will be way more satisfyed with a used 720p at a decent quality than a crappy new one.
Guess a BenQ W5000 with decent lamptime should be easy to get on that budget in US, and if you go that way i promise ull wont regret buing it.

Screen is a easy DIY. MDF, sand it, sand it.. Paint with paintcode s-1500 grey as matte (? None reflective) as you get, sand it and paint again.

Exaple of mine, 3 hours of work to make it.
Kvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Yep I spent some time digging and just as I thought, these are bogus Chinese POS projectors....white van scam!

I have no need for an electric screen, so hopefully that could bring down the price somewhat. I'm mainly concerned that I get something worthwhile, so I'll need to do my homework. If it ends up that I need to spend more, I may do it.

I wonder if these are subject to Black Friday sales and such...if so, I'm patient and can wait.

@Glock - Thanks, any recommendations?
Look hard at Epson. Very good quality/value.

Make sure you buy a home theater projector not a data projector.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
SLVR JDM

Good thoughts here. Thanks for the input.

** Removed **
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvasi View Post
Screen is a easy DIY. MDF, sand it, sand it.. Paint with paintcode s-1500 grey as matte (? None reflective) as you get, sand it and paint again.

Exaple of mine, 3 hours of work to make it.
That looks great but I want to have a TV behind my screen so an electrically retracting one is ideal for me.

Amazon has great deals on good screens.

Also, that home theater looks awesome.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote