E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
260whp m54 Bren Tuning out of New England ( N/A tune content inside )

what do you guys think of this video pulled of youtube?

since i have shrick 264 cams and dinan long tube intake i bet i could be around 250 whp off of their tune. not sure how their dyno works compared to other higher hp n/a build on here like aggie or pei but anyways those are some impressve numbers on a auto zhp with headers

Last edited by Steven747; 08-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Steven747

wow e90 m3 with 411 whp n/a

Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Well go on, it's not like anyone is stopping you. Let us all know. Edit: I want to go on record to say this is bullsh!t. A zhp auto makes 23Xrwhp. No, never.

Last edited by xixixi; 08-01-2012 at 08:54 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Well go on, it's not like anyone is stopping you. Let us all know.
curious if anyone on here has it.you don't have to be so pissy
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Steven747

Quote:
Well go on, it's not like anyone is stopping you. Let us all know. Edit: I want to go on record to say this is bullsh!t. A zhp auto makes 23Xrwhp. No, never.
second 1 had headers and intake and was a 6spd so im guessing around 215 plus 39 is around 255 ish but still i dont understand either but brentuning has a great rep everywhere on the internet
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
curious if anyone on here has it.you don't have to be so realistic
fixed
Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Steven747

Quote:
fixed
still they got 22 whp on a stock m54 check their website. not saying im a complete sucker for those numbers but its must be somewhat legit and it seems they dont adjust to much to pump up numbers
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
Interesting

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
still they got 22 whp on a stock m54 check their website. not saying im a complete sucker for those numbers but its must be somewhat legit and it seems they dont adjust to much to pump up numbers
No, they didn't. Maybe I'm confused you are the same guy that thinks head work, valve work, meth injection. etc won't net 260 to the wheels. But you believe a tune and a few bolts will get you nearly there? No, sir. EDIT: here ya go "look at the link i posted. no one else has managed to get that sort of rwhp from simple bolt ons.. meth kit is out of the question in this instance. and lets see you do that job you just described big man and where the final line is cut for money. i bet you just might be at 250 whp. no one has done it so who are you to come in here saying what if's?" You

Last edited by xixixi; 08-01-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Steven747

Quote:
No, they didn't. Maybe I'm confused you are the same guy that thinks head work, valve work, meth injection. etc won't net 260 to the wheels. But you believe a tune and a few bolts will get you nearly there? No, sir. EDIT: here ya go "look at the link i posted. no one else has managed to get that sort of rwhp from simple bolt ons.. meth kit is out of the question in this instance. and lets see you do that job you just described big man and where the final line is cut for money. i bet you just might be at 250 whp. no one has done it so who are you to come in here saying what if's?" You
meth isnt something a normal n/a dd would have or want to have in this case. this guy is showing promising numbers but he might be jacking them up or not we dont know. i still dont think 260whp is possible off just headers and a intake and im just sharing the videos that i found and wouldn't mind knowing if someone has this tune on this forum. you continue to twist my words when im asking a simple question if someone has it.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
ari00

My Ride: 04 330ci
Hi guys,

I may be partly responsible for this thread, as I inadvertently introduced Steven to this tuner. Brendan was/is a member on our forum but is known locally and has a stellar reputation for tuning all sorts of cars, but more-so Sti's and Evo's.

Last year I asked him to tune my facelifted 330ci/6sp. I had basic bolt-ons...UUC pulleys, a Gruppe M intake and a Dinan stage 2 software tune. 3.46 gears as well. Please before the flames keep in mind this is my 3rd E46. This one has about 200k miles, and my previous 2 had about 75k miles each. I drive the piss out of my cars every day, and have over the last 13 years done more mods to these 3 cars than many people can fathom. Suspension kits, bolt on engine upgrades, all sorts of braking packages and standalone pieces, wheels (heavy, lightweight), and anything else you can imagine. In a nutshell I have tried almost everything short of FI. I am as close to an expert as one can get when it comes to seat-of-the-pants changes in my car. I have zero affiliation with Bren as well, but all I can say is that, while I don't have a dyno sheet to prove anything, I can confidently say that his tune was the single most noticeable engine related change I have experienced in all my E46s in the last 13 years.

Again, I can't claim an exact figure. But if I had to estimate, based on some of the other performance products I've used over the years and their claimed hp improvement, I would estimate that 20hp might be on the conservative side. I'm not on here to get into a pissing match with anyone. People are welcome to come to their own conclusions. All I want to add is that most of us are on here to share what works, what doesn't, and help one another. I'm not on here much anymore but happened to stumble upon this thread out of coincidence.

Steven, if you decide to go with Bren's tune, I can promise you as a member of this site for almost 10 years that you won't be dissapointed. It made me feel like I had a new car again.

Best of luck no matter what you decide!
Ari
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Being that these dyno runs are custom tunes and not canned, over the mail tunes you flash yourself then completely believable.
That is alos a load dyno dynamics dyno being used at Kaizen tuning.

Brendan knows what he is doing. A custom tune for the specific car with 93 octane does way better then any canned tune you buy on the internet. The car is being tuned for the mods it has, so that tune is specific for that car. Best way to do it.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
I don't know how anyone hasn't said this already, its pretty clear that these dyno's are estimated engine output and not wheel horsepower.
There is no way an un-tuned automatic 330i is making 220 whp with headers and then almost 240 whp after a tune. Those numbers at the engine though, make a world more sense.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I don't know how anyone hasn't said this already, its pretty clear that these dyno's are estimated engine output and not wheel horsepower.
There is no way an un-tuned automatic 330i is making 220 whp with headers and then almost 240 whp after a tune. Those numbers at the engine though, make a world more sense.
Unfortunately...No.
Dynapak and Dyno Dynamics Dynamometers read wheel Horsepower, for some reason when they developed the software they wrote Flywheel horsepower for their sheets confusing people and then people going out and doing calculations. It is just plain silly getting rear wheel horsepower out of thousands of cars then doing some conversion in the software to get Flywheel horsepower.

This is saying that the dyno company has actual data of every manufacturers flywheel horsepower results before drivetrain is added.

Even though these Dynamometers say on their software and print outs Flywheel Horsepower they are actually are giving you wheel horsepower.

An Engine dyno gives you Flywheel horsepower and a chassis Dyno gives you Wheel horsepower. I have ran both types of dynos and the differences are there.

A load dyno regardless of company (except Hub dynamometers) give lower numbers because of the actual load they put on the cars rotating wheels. This is done to simulate the vehicle being on the road. As cool as this function may be it can be skewed with parameters to read as if there is no load which will give higher torque output and the end result is higher wheel horsepower numbers.

Dynos are tools primarily for tuning and not bragging right toys.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
If that is whp it looks like we have OE tuning round 2.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
If that is whp it looks like we have OE tuning round 2.
Here is a test, I already ran on a heartbraker dyno, the Mustang Load dyno and did the following. 205whp/193wtq.

If I get 215whp stock I know that the load corrections are played with.

They are close to me, but going there and seeing other cars run I can tell the power is lower then a non load dynojet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nivodyno.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	463117  

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
Here is a test, I already ran on a heartbraker dyno, the Mustang Load dyno and did the following. 205whp/193wtq.

If I get 215whp stock I know that the load corrections are played with.

They are close to me, but going there and seeing other cars run I can tell the power is lower then a non load dynojet.
Everyone has their definition of a "heartbreaker dyno", it's easier to mess with the Mustangs than Dynojets. I don't really understand what your first post in the thread was even saying. I'm just saying that with the OPs post, if they're whp numbers we've got another fraud.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
NIVO essentially while you disagreed with me, you repeated exactly what I was saying which was the while the dyno was reading whp, it was doing internal computations (basically just adding a percentage for estimated drivetrain losses) and spitting out a Flywheel HP corrected number. I know they are measuring from the wheels, I'm just saying that they are adding power by estimating the losses through the drivetrain. It's not very accurate or meaningful IMO.

Thats why it's higher.
If the dyno had been used for Aggies car, it likely would have read around 270 HP with the Shark tune....

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
NIVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
NIVO essentially while you disagreed with me, you repeated exactly what I was saying which was the while the dyno was reading whp, it was doing internal computations (basically just adding a percentage for estimated drivetrain losses) and spitting out a Flywheel HP corrected number. I know they are measuring from the wheels, I'm just saying that they are adding power by estimating the losses through the drivetrain. It's not very accurate or meaningful IMO.

Thats why it's higher.
If the dyno had been used for Aggies car, it likely would have read around 270 HP with the Shark tune....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO
for some reason when they developed the software they wrote Flywheel horsepower for their sheets confusing people
I quoted myself here... Basically ONLY their software states FLYWHEEL HORSEPOWER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO
It is just plain silly getting rear wheel horsepower out of thousands of cars then doing some conversion in the software to get Flywheel horsepower.

This is saying that the dyno company has actual data of every manufacturers flywheel horsepower results before drivetrain is added.
Ok, there is some confusion here. What I was getting at was that it would be ridiculous for the dyno dynamics dynamometer to do internal calculations to spit out FLYWHEEL HORSEPOWER. It doesnt... period.

I have used all kinds of dynos available to us here in the U.S.A. and I repeat, this dyno does not calculate flywheel horsepower at all, it gives you load based wheel horsepower..be it from rear wheel drive, front wheel drive or all wheel drive.

Cliff notes:
Dyno Dynamics chassis dynamometer reads wheel horsepower.
  • It Shows on the graphs wheel horsepower.
  • On the software it Shows Flywheel Horsepower.
  • Their software has a miss communication to the end user being that it reads and shows wheel horsepower but states it is flywheel only on the software and graphs when in fact it is not.

Only way to make it read higher is to lessen the load/or where the dyno IAT is placed which will bring it closer to what a non load dynamometer would read.

If you want repeatable results on a dyno without the operator having control of the end results the a dynojet non-load is for you. Make sure it reads actual horsepower or SAE.

The others are more for real tuning as if the car was on the road.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
NIVO

Here is an example from one of my cars on how you can manipulate Dynojet no-load dynos:

Smoothing at 0 and 5
Uncorrected/Actual Horsepower (power with that days weather effects)

SAE Horsepower (SAE weather effects and most used when going from high elevation to low and from state to state)

STD Horsepower (used by many shops to inflate numbers)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dynosheet 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	463127   Click image for larger version

Name:	dynosheet 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	463128   Click image for larger version

Name:	dynosheet 3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	463129   Click image for larger version

Name:	dynosheet 4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	463130  

Name:	dynosheet 5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	463131   Click image for larger version

Name:	dynosheet 6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	463132  

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Last edited by NIVO; 08-02-2012 at 01:03 PM.