E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
L3MONz

My Ride: 2003 325i
ZKW Xenons vs AL xenon?

Just wondering, is the price tag on the ZKW xenons really worth it? My sister has a pair of them on her '02 330i, but she recently got into a small crash so now there is this nasty crack trailing into the back of the right headlight. Now I searched around the internet and these things must be made out of gold or something because they range up to $900 - 1150 each at a dealer. I also noted that these headlights are from 10/04. So what I was wondering, if I fitted regular xenon's from an '02 on the right side, would it still project the same as the ZKW on the left?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
No it wouldn't project the same, but it wouldn't be that bad. ZKWs have problems with poor output due to the bowls in the back burning out, I'd actually find two AL "regular" xenons and install them if I were you.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Get AL projectors with ZKW clear lenses. Use my DIY vid to swap the lenses

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
L3MONz

Great DIY tutorial! But the wiring on the ZKW headlight seems a lot more complex compared to the AL so idk how that would work out. But even if I were to do it I would have to buy new bulbs and computer module, which I really want to avoid raising the cost any more than it already is for me. Would it be possible to transfer the ZKW internals into the AL?

I also took a couple pics of the headlight as a better reference.

Last edited by L3MONz; 07-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.
L3MONz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
DOT.

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
AL and ZKW headlight assemblies are interchangeable. Solidjake was suggesting to get a pair ofAL headlight assemblies and since your ZKW lens are still intact, just swap them over

Last edited by DOT.; 07-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
L3MONz

Alright sweet, so the ballast control unit will also fit without a problem then right? And is there a certain website that sells headlight assemblies?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Part numbers for the ballasts are different.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
L3MONz

Eh oh well, I think I''l just end up buying a used headlight off ebay for like $350 and then just selling the parts off the broken headlight.

Or maybe put it onto my 325i? You guys think that will work out? I have doubts because mine are just halogens..
Old 07-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
id look on www.car-part.com for a used headlight....there usually cheaper than ebay...
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
jack.chris328
Modded ///Member

My Ride: is a truck.
The only thing that will transfer over from an AL light to the ZKW is the projector lens. The xenon bracket attaches to the adjusters in the housing differently. The internal wiring is different. They connections to the car harness are the same though. So you can just swap out two AL's in place of the ZKW's though as stated previously.