E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
Intermittent No Crank Issue

Stupid question. Will a manual transmission bone stock e46 start without the clutch depressed? My car intermittently does not crank. I haven't been stranded yet but am planning a big road trip. I've heard it can be all sorts of things from relays to the starter itself. The battery in the car is a 3 month old Interstate and all connections show no corrosion or looseness.

I'm thinking it's the switch on the clutch. I have a 9/99 build car so it has the early switch, not the one on the clutch master cyl. I think it could be the switch because if I depress the clutch a couple of times the car will start.

Does anyone have the link on the diy for jumpering the switch?

Thx.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Bim3Por911

I did a long road trip and took both keys. I had an incident on my trip where the car would not start. I remove the key and walk around the car. Get back in - no start. Get out again and get my spare key. The car starts right up. I drive to a gas station and get gas. I use the old key. It starts right up. I drive 560 miles home. I have one no-start issue on the way home. The symptom is typically the car won't crank and no audible clicks even though all the dash lights are on. It's as if all systems are defeated. I pull the key, put it in again and then the car starts. I assume it's the key and buy a new one. The old one is 13 years old. I hear keys typically only last about 10 years if used often so it's not money wasted.

So now it's one of several things: Clutch module (switch), Ignition switch, or possibly the green relay in the box in the engine compartment that controls the injectors. The problem is so intermittent it's difficult to catch. If it's something like the clutch switch there is most likely no code for that. Currently the car is not recording any codes per my Peake Reader. Could it be caught with Auto Enginuity or a similar more comprehensive reader?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
If you think it is the clutch safety switch, when your start the car and it does not crank, to not release the key. Pump the clutch multiple times to see if the car starts. If while holding the key and pumping the clutch the car cranks, it is likely the clutch switch.

It is likely a ignition switch and/or the EWS antenna ring if it is not the clutch switch. More likely the ignition switch as they are know to go bad although the EWS antenna ring is cheaper.

Unlikely the EWS transponder in the key is bad but it could happen.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Bim3Por911

I now have five keys (three diamond and two valet) and they ALL are susceptible to the no-start condition so it's not a key transponder. I'll try the clutch pump trick next time this happens. If it responds - good. If not, then it's likely either the antenna ring or ignition switch. I had a '96 e36 about 8 years ago where the antenna ring quit right before I bought the car. When the ring antenna stopped transmitting, the car just would not crank AT ALL and was flat-bedded to an indie shop. An intermittent mechanical switch issue seems most likely to me. I may purchase the BMW 1.4.0 Asian Software from 360.com just to ensure the keys are talking. That would eliminate the antenna and EWS as items. Then it would either be the switch, wiring, or the starter.

Thx