E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
pilotnbr1

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Inpa Lean Deviation...

Hi guys I have a 2001 325ci that has been throwing 02 sensor adaptation limit codes on my peake tool and an occasional sticking idle control valve. I have been chasing vacuum leaks and a general lack of maintenance from the PO.. This car had alot of little problems that were masked by an intentionally disabled MAF (the plug looked like it was plugged in but someone had broken off all of the pins in the MAF plug).So far in the last 6 months I have done--

new disa
vanos seals with new valve cover gasket
ccv and all associated hoses
oil dipstick rings
cam shaft position sensors both exhaust and intake
new MAF (aftermarket)
one pre-cat 02 sensor
air filter
fuel filter with fuel pressure regulator
new fuel pump
replaced various vacuum hoses and caps..
cleaned throttle body and icv
searched for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner
inspected intake ducting very closely

Other non engine work-
heater valve
manual A/C control panel
r-134 recharge
diff bushings

Coming to a stop as rpm decreased to idle speed I would get some serious jumping rpm until it settled out. After these fixes that no longer occurs and driving wise the car is not bad. Right now it occasionally goes into limp mode with EML,DCS, BRAKE, and yellow caution. Shutting down and restarting clears it.

So to get to the bottom of this I finally got INPA up and running the other day. Amazing stuff, I wish I had set it up a long time ago, it was cheap and relatively easy! I apologize for not knowing how to take screenshots of INPA yet, or how to go to the second page within a multi page INPA display... Here is a summary of what I have (obviously left out some stuff till I can take screenshots)-

228 Lamba control tolerance Bank 2
N_32 1880 rpm
MAF 392 mg/stk
TCO 64 Grad C
LAM_MV_2 -17.58%
Deviation Lean

227 Lamba control tolerance Bank 1
N_32 2080 rpm
MAF 103 mg/stk
TCO 85 Grad C
LAM_MV_2 -12.89%
Deviation Lean

Also had a code for jammed LLFS with an error frequency of 10. This is for the ICV and always comes along well after I triggered the o2 adaptive limit codes. I think it is a symtom of the problem...

What stuck out to me in my limited experience is what a large difference in the two MAF mg/stk despite only a difference of 200 rpm in the two errors. And the large negative LAM MV values. I went to the PATROL ADAPTIVE page and the lambda integrator values were in the low to high teens NEGATIVE.. After much searching online everyone with vacuum leaks showed positive lamba integrator values- more fuel to compensate for the leaned mixture. My problem seems to be the opposite (and uncharted online)- the fuel trims are being reduced in order to intentionally lean the mixture if I am reading it all correctly..... Please comment and question my assumption!!!

I should also add that I am unable to access the fuel pump module- Inpa gives me some german error... I will investigate and follow up on this more.

Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump and cleared all adaptions. Not throwing error codes yet but car stalled a couple times. Driving around with INPA connected the patrol adaptions for lambda integrator were all still negative in the teens... I don't think the new fuel pump changed anything.

Right now I am thinking-
1) test fuel pressure at the fuel rail. I am also questioning if I should put in my old fuel filter and regulator (which seemed fine) to see if that changes anything. Maybe the engine is getting feed fuel at too high pressure causing it to go rich.
2) is the aftermarket MAF bad- how can I test this. Can anyone please post what normal INPA values for the MAF should be?
3) O2 sensors? I replaced one with no change and swapped it from bank to bank on the pre-cat side. From my limited INPA experience they seem to be fine at about .6-.7 .. I know, I need to post more screenshots from INPA...
4) am I misinterpretting INPA? do I still have a vacuum leak? If so it might be time for a smoke test....
5) not being able to access the fuel pump module is suspicious.. Need to investigate that.
6) car may need software update...

Thanks for reading my lengthy post.. This car has been the most frustrating experience.

Last edited by pilotnbr1; 07-19-2012 at 09:13 AM.
pilotnbr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
This may help - http://www.europeantransmissions.com...ptationBMW.pdf

Next fill up add a bottle of Chevron Techron (20 gallon size) to see if cleaning your injectors will help. You may have an injector not shutting completely.
You would also see this if the fuel pressure doesn't stay close to 50 psi after shutting off the engine. It should stay withing about 5-8 psi of the running pressure for 45 minutes to an hour or more.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
pilotnbr1

I don't think I have a single malfunctioning injector. My error codes are for both banks and I don't have any single cylinder out of whack with the others. I do need to run some injector cleaner and test fuel psi..Presently am traveling for the next 3 days and will not be able to work on the car. Just trying to get a plan of attack. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for the link, that was very informative.

Luke

Last edited by pilotnbr1; 07-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
I would love to know how the car would run without the maf... I suppose the DME can guess how much air is coming in based on how much you're pressing the accelerator pedal and the engine speed, but really, I have no idea how it would run without it. On a diesel that's no problem, but on a gasoline car I am curious to know.

-- edit. I did more reading and see that the MAF merely helps the DME get the exact conditions of air coming in, without it there are pre-programmed maps that are probably quite accurate on their own.

Last edited by kd7iwp; 07-19-2012 at 06:05 PM.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
pilotnbr1

From what I understand with the maf disconnected the dme assumes values from tables in conjunction to other sensors. When you start the car it also initially disregards actual maf readings. In inpa with the maf disconnected you can see values that are assumed as well...

Luke
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I am going out on a limb here, but I am going to say replace MAF with an OEM unit and make sure all your connections are tight. Also be VERY careful as there are some different MAF's with different number of terminals, I think there is one way the narrow MAF connector can be connected to the wider MAF, not 100% sure, but I have read something about this???

If I am reading your errors correctly, they were at 1800-2000 RPM which is likely a MAF not reading well unless you have exhaust leaks at the cylinder head to manifold interface.

Not likely vacuum leaks if the lean codes/errors are at cruise RPM's.

Fuel pressure, MAF and O2 sensors of exhaust leaks are the most likely cause of lean codes at cruise RPM.

Suggest you read this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Only a small subset of E46s (SULEVs with the M56 engine) have a fuel pump module that is accessible in INPA. Most E46s have a simple relay or PWM controller, which is probably why you can't access it.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
pilotnbr1

Thanks for the info guys! I am with you in being very suspicious of my aftermarket MAF and its abilities... When I installed it it was a VERY tight fit into the airbox. In fact I am now wondering if any of the metal "mesh" for the MAF sensor got deformed or damaged in the fit. My other concern would be the aftermarket MAF influencing pressure in the "f" connector with the vacuum line running to the fuel regulator. I am wondering if this is even possible.

When I get home I am going to check fuel first as that seems to be the low hanging fruit and easily eliminated (besides I want to use my fancy tester!). Then I am going to attempt to investigate and test this MAF sensor. Does anyone have any data on what normal MAF function should look like in INPA? I am considering unplugging it as part of the test to see what the assumed values (as said before should be close to accurate) in INPA look like and how the fuel trims change. Any input on testing the MAF is welcome!

I also considered running the engine briefly with the air filter removed... My wife picked it up from autozone with some help and I installed it. I have no reason to believe it is wrong but the car is running rich which could be an air obstruction...

I don't have any reason to believe I have an exhaust leak. The car spent its life in Florida and has 115,000 miles. I think I would hear a leak (especially after pouring over this engine with a hose to my ear listening for vacuum leaks) , but I will add an exhaust manifold inspection to the list. Being under the car around the guibo everything looked like it was in very good, clean, shape as far as the exhaust goes. Well except for the 4 crappy iconel bolts and nuts which will probably break when trying to remove the exhaust for the guibo job...

Thanks for the info regarding the nonexistence of an m54 fuel module. Good to know!

Luke
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Exhaust leaks can also be around the O2 bungs, hairline cracks are not that uncommon.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind as you start to try and resolve your issues.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
I had the same fault codes for months until I found the culprit, a leaking intake manifold gasket! This can be checked very easy with brake cleaner, the engine will pick up RPM no matter where you apply it... But I have to agree with jfoj on the MAF and fuel pump, although you did replace the pump. Anyway, checking the intake manifold gasket is a 1 minute test, could be worth it...
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotnbr1 View Post
My other concern would be the aftermarket MAF influencing pressure in the "f" connector with the vacuum line running to the fuel regulator. I am wondering if this is even possible.

Luke
Keep in mind the F connector doesn't really get intake manifold vacuum, it is located before the throttle body and would only see a very small if any vacuum.
(what ever pressure difference that is across the air filter / MAF)
I believe its primary purpose with respect to the fuel pressure is to have a path to the intake for fuel if the regulator diaphragm develops a leak, the fuel would then be routed to the intake instead of leaking to the atmosphere.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
pilotnbr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I had the same fault codes for months until I found the culprit, a leaking intake manifold gasket! This can be checked very easy with brake cleaner, the engine will pick up RPM no matter where you apply it... But I have to agree with jfoj on the MAF and fuel pump, although you did replace the pump. Anyway, checking the intake manifold gasket is a 1 minute test, could be worth it...
What fault codes did you have specifically? Your problem was a vacuum leak which would cause your fuel trims to deviate rich and throw lean "p" codes.. My trims are deviating lean.

Shaneba good point regarding decreased vacuum prior to the tb...
Old 07-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
Vigilante

My Ride: 320i - 2.2 L - 170hp
Send a message via MSN to Vigilante
These where my codes: P1192, P1193, P1083, P1085, P1343, P1345, P1347, P1349, P1351 and P1353. (I had a BMW 1.36 scanner at the time so I had to convert them to P-numbers my self so there could be made some mistakes)

The codes that are the same as OP's first post are P1083 (227) and P1085 (228), these codes came along with P1192 (202) and P1193 (203) which are Post Catalyst fuel trim codes. The rest of the codes are all misfires that also came along with this problem.
Re-surfaced CH | VC+VCG | CAM/VANOS timing | IMG | NGK-i | BAT+ALT | O2's | GM5 | WP WPP | PSP | DISA | TB ICV MAF | CCV | CAI | OFHG | FP | FF | A/C | FSU | AUC | WSS | BL BD BP | E46Mango! | JFOJ | SB TP IP | springs | Shocks |tires | ASC+ | alignment | E.Flush | Castrol SAF-XJ 75W140 | ZF LGF5 ATF Flush
Planned
FCA+FCAB | Struts

Last edited by Vigilante; 07-21-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
pilotnbr1

Update

Well today I was finally able to do some stuff on the car very briefly. Driving the car down the freeway doing 65mph my lambda integrator values are in the green range however my adaptive multiplicative values are at about "+10". Most of the time driving above 2000 rpm the maf air flow meter is showing air consumption "!148". From what I have read on the forum anything followed by an exclamation point means it is operating outside of a measureable or normal range. What do you guys show? is this normal?

When I am idling the maf air consumption is reading anywhere from 19 kg/hr to 25 kg/hr... Seems very high. Comments? Idling my lambda integrator values are -10 or more... My multiplicative values are about -8.

It is very strange to me that the multiplicative values swing so much from idling to under load at speed. From what I have read the multiplicative values are what is used under load- if you are more than +8 you are lean and the computer is trying to richen the mixture. More than -8 and your rich and the computer is trying lean the mixture.

All the while the additive is at "0".. The additive adaptation value is for idle from what I read in the pdf link posted above...

So I got home and disconnected the maf plug. Inpa shows "0" for air consumption but the lambda integrator values are in the green range. With some revving of the engine they wander a bit and go out of the green range but seem to go back into the green. If they go outside of the green it is on the positive or lean side. Makes sense as the computer is only reading oxygen from the o2 sensors, its always playing catchup and a little behind in its adjustments.

I am still going to check fuel psi and a few other things to get the full picture. Below are two screenshots of inpa- first is at idle with the maf connected second is disconnected.

BTW vigilante- my peake tool shows table 19 e3 and e4 for "oxygen sensot adaptive limit". My elm 327 shows p0172 and p0175 for rich. Thought I would mention it for what its worth!

Thanks for the comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	461923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	461924  

Last edited by pilotnbr1; 07-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Unfortunately, I don't have a non-M anymore to give you some baseline figures. If I get a chance to hook my laptop up to a friend's car, I'll try to remember to post my findings here.

Alternative to the snipping tool is Alt+Print Screen, paste into mspaint, save.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
cyberkaa

As it turns out, I was working on a 325i this evening and had INPA hooked up to it so I made a mental note of some numbers.

At idle with the engine warmed up, air consumption is 14 +/- 0.50 kg/hr @ 700rpm, 83 degree intake air temp, 197 degrees coolant temp. The engine is a fairly fresh M54B25 (my old motor just swapped into another sedan), so I'm fairly certain this is a good number.
Couldn't take a measurement under load, but at 2000rpm constant, no load, the air consumption went up to 36 kg/hr.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
pilotnbr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
As it turns out, I was working on a 325i this evening and had INPA hooked up to it so I made a mental note of some numbers.

At idle with the engine warmed up, air consumption is 14 +/- 0.50 kg/hr @ 700rpm, 83 degree intake air temp, 197 degrees coolant temp. The engine is a fairly fresh M54B25 (my old motor just swapped into another sedan), so I'm fairly certain this is a good number.
Couldn't take a measurement under load, but at 2000rpm constant, no load, the air consumption went up to 36 kg/hr.
Thanks alot! I have a 2001 325ci which I am not sure what the exact engine model is (need to find out). I would imagine it is close if not exactly the same as yours. Inpa shows my air consumption up around 20 kg/hr at 700 rpm... It sounds like I have an over reporting MAF sensor. Its telling the computer more air is entering than really is, then the injectors spray in the fuel for that incorrect amount of air resulting in the 02 sensors reporting an overly rich mixture.... Thats the theory anyway... Comments?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotnbr1 View Post
Thanks alot! I have a 2001 325ci which I am not sure what the exact engine model is (need to find out). I would imagine it is close if not exactly the same as yours. Inpa shows my air consumption up around 20 kg/hr at 700 rpm... It sounds like I have an over reporting MAF sensor. Its telling the computer more air is entering than really is, then the injectors spray in the fuel for that incorrect amount of air resulting in the 02 sensors reporting an overly rich mixture.... Thats the theory anyway... Comments?
Yes, you have the same motor.
It does sound like your MAF is faulty.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
pilotnbr1

Update: Problem solved!

Ok for anyone following this and to help future readers. I installed a new VDO/Seimens OE MAF sensor $220 from autohausaz.com . Inpa shows the kg/h is now in a more normal range around 12 at a 700 rpm idle. With the old MAF sensor it was reading around 25 kg/h at idle. The lamda adaptation is in the normal range now! I have cleared all the adaptations and still have to put some miles on the car but I think we can put this one to rest.

FYI I believe that my first replacement MAF is actually working it was just not ment for my car. The diameter of the outside of the housing made it a very tight fit in my airbox- perhaps the interior diameter was bigger as well thus allowing more airflow. Second the series of ID numbers on the top was slightly different with my new MAF having an additional "z" number at the end. And finally just above where the pins for the plug are there are number for each pin. Near those number there is some sort of arrow indicator that was opposite on the two MAF sensors. I can take pictures if anyone requests it.

Thanks to all for your help!

Last edited by pilotnbr1; 08-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
cyberkaa

Quote: