E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
MRFLAKE

My Ride: 2004 M3
Misfire on cylinders 4,5, and 6 need help

Hey so my car started up and the service engine light came on and was idling weird and when I drove it down the street it would drive like it had no power. I had the codes ran and it said I had a misfire in cylinders 4,5,and 6. I'm guessing I should start buy changing the spark plugs I don't know if they have ever been changed. Anyone ideas? Thanns

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
RGuill96971

My Ride: 04 m3
replace all plugs and coils
RGuill96971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Skchamaa11

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I got a misfire on cylinder three what would cause tht cool and spark plug
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
MRFLAKE

I want to first change all 6 of my plugs and see what happens. Can 3 coils go bad at the same time?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLAKE View Post
I want to first change all 6 of my plugs and see what happens. Can 3 coils go bad at the same time?
Yes they can. Any individual number of coils can go at any time. Happened to me a month ago, 1 coil was gone and my car would fully stall. Its an easy DIY also
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
Any oil leaking from valve cover gasket?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
MRFLAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_m3 View Post
Yes they can. Any individual number of coils can go at any time. Happened to me a month ago, 1 coil was gone and my car would fully stall. Its an easy DIY also
I checked tuner mototsports I could get all new 6 coils and spark plugs for $301 shipped.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
MRFLAKE

I have 88k miles is that typically for the spark plugs to go out?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
Sounds like something that happened to me three months ago.
Hopefully yours is something else, but mine was VANOS failure on exhaust cam... $3,400 replacing with a used VANOS and a bit of time in exploratory labor. Runs great now...

My symptoms:
-rough idle
-a little bit of power in low RPMs, but it was like the throttle was strangled above 3,000 RPMs.
-Check Engine light with codes of misfire on many cylinders.

This all came on very quickly: something seemed odd, then the CES light came on and there were many codes.
When the mechanic was searching for a VANOS unit, BMW Seattle informed him that they have sold one of these units in the past five years, so it seems like a rare failure.
It was some sort of a holding ring that slipped out somehow. This ring did fall into the timing belt chamber, but fortunately did not cause any further damage (or so my mantra goes).

Apparently mine was an expensive failure, but also rare, so maybe your coils just went sour at once. Damn, I'm pessimistic... just wanna share my pain, maybe.

Anyway, hopefully yours is something else.
Yours could more likely and hopefully be the VANOS solenoid that would render the same symptoms of not varying the timing of a cam and therefore causing simultaneous misfires. For a solenoid failure there is a site that sends you a refurbished and reinforced (improved) solenoid then gives you about a 50% refund when you send your ruined unit back to them. Like $300, then a $150 refund. HERE.

I also have my original and tested as functioning VANOS solenoid pack since I had to buy an entire VANOS for my repair. We could work something out if you want to use my unit to test or repair. It is unlikely I'll ever need it (mantra 2).
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGuill96971 View Post
replace all plugs and coils

Yes lets just throw parts at it without properly diagnosing it.

Spark plugs I would change first, since you stated your not to sure how old they are to begin with. once the plugs are in clear your codes and start/drive your car. see if anything changes or if any of the codes come back. Dont go replacing all the coils because someone said to or you THINK its a problem. miss fires can be caused by so many things.

If the plugs dont fix your miss fires and your not to familiar with diagnosing the vehicle or have the equipment to do it, take it to a shop that can get it fixed for you the first time. in the end a 1 hour diagnostic charge at the shop will be cheaper than replacing all coils. And hopefully if its a good shop they will have it fixed the first time properly.

But if you have money and dont care about the shops, then be my guest and go changing all coils and see what happens.

Last edited by Taunto; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
MRFLAKE

So I got 6 new ngk spark plugs I put them on my car sounds a bit better but still sounds like its misfiring. I also switched the coils I put 4,5, and 6 where 1,2, and 3 were. I want to see if the new codes will read misfire on cylinders 1,2, and 3. But I also went down the street and I gave it full throttle it was moving and it felt like there was no misfire but as soon as I stopped at the light and got on it again it seemed like it was misfiring once again. Fml. I guess next steP should be is getting new coils?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
ibimmer346

My Ride: 2011 535i, 2002 M3
Yeah, try out the coils. I know when my M3 was having misfire problems, it turned out to be a problem with one of the coils. The symptom was that the car would sputter and stall only at stop lights (when the car was idling). Once you gave it gas and got going the engine would act better. Start idling, the car would stall.
ibimmer346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
OP what coils do you have installed are they bremi? cus bremi have problems that where made between a certain period think thats why they switched to bosch.
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
emax

My Ride: 06 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLAKE View Post
So I got 6 new ngk spark plugs I put them on my car sounds a bit better but still sounds like its misfiring. I also switched the coils I put 4,5, and 6 where 1,2, and 3 were. I want to see if the new codes will read misfire on cylinders 1,2, and 3. But I also went down the street and I gave it full throttle it was moving and it felt like there was no misfire but as soon as I stopped at the light and got on it again it seemed like it was misfiring once again. Fml. I guess next steP should be is getting new coils?
Clear codes first. did you get 1,2,3 misfired? If not coils are NOT the problem.

'06 CB/IR w/SMG/NAV/HK/19" BBS RGR/Hankooks
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
elton123

My Ride: bmw
Op post update I'm having the same issue
elton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
talol85

My Ride: e60 m5 - e46 m3 vf 2
I am having this now

cf hood trunk interior - ltw wheels -vf stage 2 sc - ss headers v1 - ss catless sec 1 - evolve tune - hamman exhaust sec3
talol85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #17
MRFLAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by talol85 View Post
I am having this now

Get new spark plugs and 6 new coil packs your car will run amazing afterwards.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
talol85

should I buy okada coils or oem bosch will be fine ?

I placed my order on NGK DCPR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug

cf hood trunk interior - ltw wheels -vf stage 2 sc - ss headers v1 - ss catless sec 1 - evolve tune - hamman exhaust sec3
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
MRFLAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by talol85 View Post
should I buy okada coils or oem bosch will be fine ?

I placed my order on NGK DCPR9EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug
Don't buy the cheap ones. The oem ones will make a big difference in your perfromance
Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #20
talol85

thanks budy for u help