E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
jcmxcv

Nervous Buyer: Can I afford this?

Hi there. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or if there are other posts like mine - but then again I don't really care

I have been working hard and have decided that I want an M3. Why?....its an M3 - duh.

Here's my question: Can I afford it?

I'm a college student but I work full time and make around 2.0-2.5k per month with only $500 (if that - going to food lol) I always work a lot in the summer so money usually isn't a problem there (12k in 3 months)

What do you guys think? Am I in a situation where I can afford repairs/proper maintenance.

Be honest. As much as I want an M3...I'm willing to be a responsible adult and let it go.
jcmxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
m3e46freak

My Ride: m Twee lol
You can afford it if..

1. You buy a used one for about 16,000
2. Please get a pre purchase inspection done.
3. Save $2500 for a rainy day
4. Remember gas/insurance/mods
5. Dont get in trouble because it will only remove funding for the vehicle/college/life/food

K bye..lol enjoy man!

Rock Hard Abs Racing

ST Coil!
BREMBO
Apex!
Agency Power Headers!
Euro Cats!
Scorza Mufflers!
FRANK!! 311RWHP-260Torque
m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting

ebay/craigslist verified 100% FEEDBACK
m3forum 96% FEEDBACK
m3post/e46fanantics Great FEEDBACK
zpost/bimmerforum Great FEEDBACK
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
DreaM3r

I'd say no. But who knows what will break. Just some food for though:
I bought 4 tires 900 plus mount and balance,
brakes all around 700+,
my VANOS sheared off the tab, 1900 dollars, mind you no codes or symptoms!!!

replaced fuel pump 350+ dollars.

All DIY except the VANOS

Etc etc. I did this all this spring mind you. So you decide what you can afford. You will 100% be spending money every year to keep her running like she should. Be careful and get a PPI and ask about its history.
DreaM3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my CTS-V and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
No, you can't afford the insurance!

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 05-09-2016 at 10:19 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Gas, tires, insurance, maintenance, crap that breaks. Being able to afford something doesn't mean just having enough money to cover the costs. Personally, at your age, I wouldn't do it. Take that money and save it for when you're done with college. Putting it into a high maintenance depreciating automobile is a complete waste.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
M_3_X

My Ride: 02 M3, 05 X3 3.0i
Go for it, you won't regret it. Now it's the best time to get an e46 M3.

1995 ///M3 Coupe, Luxury, MT, Htd seats, Cosmos Black.(11/2011-01/2015)
2003 325Cic Orient Blue Met, ZPP (03/2007- 03/2010)
M_3_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Parking nice cars on college campuses is an easy way to have them get messed with.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Dan1983

My Ride: X3 35i, MaxPsi M3
If you want a M3, buy some tools and learn to do the work yourself. There's plenty of resources available online to help if you need it. Try not to wrap up too much money in it, as you'll never get that money back, it's a depreciating asset.

Be smart, do as I say not as I do...haha.
Dan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
smcutter

My Ride: 2005 M3 Convertible
I love my M3, but it's not an economical vehicle and even a PPI won't find problems that are bound to pop up. I had TWO PPI's done before I bought it from a dealership, and both independent shops gave it a crystal clear bill of health. Within 2,000 miles the front right brake caliper seized up and the thermostat started throwing a code. The brake caliper cost $180 (DIY) and the thermostat means I'm going to have to do a cooling system overhaul for almost $1,000 (also DIY).

I'm a 31-year-old VP of Finance making $6,000 a month. I paid $17k for mine and I sometimes wonder if I can afford it. Once you're out of college, you're going to be hit with real-world expenses like health insurance, rent, cell phone bill, car insurance, and student loans.

Now for the advice that you probably won't follow: Take the money you would spend on an M3 and put it into a 401(k) or IRA. Oh, how I wish I had followed that advice when I was straight out of college!
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
I, for one, would recommend an E60 M5 for an economical sports car that's also practical for the family on the go.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
jcmxcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
I love my M3, but it's not an economical vehicle and even a PPI won't find problems that are bound to pop up. I had TWO PPI's done before I bought it from a dealership, and both independent shops gave it a crystal clear bill of health. Within 2,000 miles the front right brake caliper seized up and the thermostat started throwing a code. The brake caliper cost $180 (DIY) and the thermostat means I'm going to have to do a cooling system overhaul for almost $1,000 (also DIY).

I'm a 31-year-old VP of Finance making $6,000 a month. I paid $17k for mine and I sometimes wonder if I can afford it. Once you're out of college, you're going to be hit with real-world expenses like health insurance, rent, cell phone bill, car insurance, and student loans.

Now for the advice that you probably won't follow: Take the money you would spend on an M3 and put it into a 401(k) or IRA. Oh, how I wish I had followed that advice when I was straight out of college!

Lol thanks so much for the words of wisdom. As much as I want the car. I think I'll invest in myself through school & my business. Already working on that IRA (:
jcmxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
rich022

My Ride: 2003 m3
These are not cars for college students on a budget. Period.
rich022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #13
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmxcv View Post
Lol thanks so much for the words of wisdom. As much as I want the car. I think I'll invest in myself through school & my business. Already working on that IRA (:
Good man. Financial discipline is a good thing to learn when young. You'll soon see that those who impulse buy whatever they want are perpetually broke. Doesn't matter how much money they make. And the debts you incur now can really hurt you enjoying your money after you start your career. On the other hand, money that you save now will make things much, MUCH easier.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
Kong Sheng Han

My Ride: 2001 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich022 View Post
These are not cars for college students on a budget. Period.
Orly?
PSS10 Coilovers | TMS Camber Plates | LED Tail Lights | 219M Wheels | SuperSprint Race Exhaust | E60 Shift Lever | ZHP Steering Rack | GroupN Motor Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | AKG 90A Subframe Bushings | AKG 95A Diff Bushings | AKG 90A RTABs | TMS Subframe Reinforcement Plates Epoxied | Driver Schroth QFP | Passenger Schroth Quick Fit | PFC 08 Pads Front | PFC 06 Pads Rear | CPI Stepped Headers | Motul RBF600 | Slotted Rotors | Rear Seat Delete |
Kong Sheng Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
hlmiii

My Ride: M3's, M5, Z8, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I, for one, would recommend an E60 M5 for an economical sports car that's also practical for the family on the go.
This!

Even better when it's stop and go congested traffic for short trips to school, soccer, groceries. Love mine just for that reason.

hlmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
brianphi

My Ride: 2004 m3
Consider something like an s2000.... miss mine a lot super low maintenance, only really expense was tires.

I make a very comfortable living now but still can't justify putting many miles on my m3, so I drive a prius daily. On the other hand some college students don't drive that much so maybe it would be very affordable for you....
brianphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #17
Destructo

My Ride: Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post

This. Lots and lots of this!
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #18
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Enjoy life as a student. Spend it on booze and women, you'll have lots of time to buy a nice car after graduation.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
BunnySlope

My Ride: 2001 M3
In re-reading your situation, and more importantly, the basic question you asked, I would offer the following insights.

Yes, you can afford it if your financial situation is exactly as you laid it out.

However, I don't think that's the right question. 'Should I buy an M3 at this point in time?' is the question you should be asking. For a myriad of reasons, that others have pointed out, I would say "Not at this point in your life."

Between insurance, routine maintenance, gas and tires, virtually any E46 is going to be of the age and mileage where unexpected failures are going to occur, and always at the worst time. If you don't have a second car and don't have access to a lift, there will always be items that you can't DIY and the car will be down for more than a couple of days.

Just my.02, but...
Build a nice cash reserve/savings and wait a few years.

"Fast cars only love to go straight...Fast DRIVERS love the corners!"

"I have no doubt that I AM the slowest part of my car."

BunnySlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
av516

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP IB
also college student here- engineering
i make a bit more with my engineering and defense contracts
can you afford it with 2.5k/month?
yes and maybe, how much are you going to put down?
i got mine for 20500, with 5k down and will be paying it off by december (it is financed )
it is not cheap at all, gas, tires, maintenance, insurance is probly going to cost me at least 5k-6k the first year, i daily it more than 15k miles a year
2.5k for insurance
another 2k for gas, at least
my tires are going to be around 1500 for PSS
looking back on my purchase, i should have probably stuck to another ZHP since this car was a replacement for my older ZHP that got hit on the front
another thought would be that, the money im spending on this car would have been better used for a double masters degree (engineering and management)
but, my company will be paying for my college now, so i was able to have less of a worry.

as said by others above, is this the right time to buy an M3?
its really up to your situation
do you need to haul people/family members around?
will you need to use the car for trips to your internship/work?
what if something else happens? gf got pregnant, something bad happened to you?

it seems like a simple decision, i too think of this at first but
at around 16k initial buy + 4k-5k a year maintenance
it is quite a lot, also a lot of fun

good luck and do update us of the final verdict