E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Overheating after cooling package installed

A couple of weeks back I was in traffic when I hear a loud splash, and see smoke coming from under my hood. I turned off my car immediately and did not even let the meter go to 3/4. Turns out my expansion tank exploded and I had to get towed back home.

I then replaced my radiator hoses, water pump, belts, thermostat with housing and its still overheating. What can be causing this? The car is a manual 328i.

Thanks

Last edited by Elvin123; 08-05-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot something
Elvin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
emgee

My Ride: 3 pedal 2005 325xi
What kind of coolant did you use? Did you check if your fan was working?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Elvin123

I used the correct coolant from the dealer, the fan is working too
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Ivor-BMW

My Ride: BMW e46 330
Check if a lover radiator hose geting worm. Is your heater blowing hot air is your fan working.
Ivor-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Elvin123

radiator hoses are brand new, although I did notice my air conditioning not blowing air as cold as before.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, you need to probably just bleed the system properly.

The quick way.

When cold, fill ET to between min and max.

Close cap and bleeder (which you shouldn't have opened anyway).

Key to position 2 (car off)
Heater on high
Fan on low
3 red dots on dial

Start car, rev to 4K rpm for 20 secs. and turn the car off.

Check level of coolant again...add to between min and max.

Repeat if necessary.

Monitor coolant level for a while until you're sure you're out of trouble as it could be something else. You didn't replace WP...could be that. Could be fan...temp sensor on lower hose.

You could still have a small leak you missed which added air to the system after your work...which air will either block coolant flow...or get in wp and cause it to cavitate where it won't pump.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 08-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Ivor-BMW

My Ride: BMW e46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
radiator hoses are brand new, although I did notice my air conditioning not blowing air as cold as before.

yes but is it geting worm lower one. do they get very hard straight away.
Ivor-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Dmax apparently the sensor dosent touch coolant
Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
dmax

The temp sensor is in the lower hose...it touches coolant there. You're thinking of the ET's level sensor, which doesn't touch coolant.

Odds are OP, that I'm right about it being a bleeding issue...it often is. I'm not sure about your AC (cross posted), but the water valve does go bad...if it stays stuck open, that'd account for your ac feeling warmer. But, it could also be you're just low on 134a and just noticed it now because you're looking at stuff more closely...IDK.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 08-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Elvin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, you need to probably just bleed the system properly.

The quick way.

When cold, fill ET to between min and max.

Close cap and bleeder (which you shouldn't have opened anyway).

Key to position 2 (car off)
Heater on high
Fan on low
3 red dots on dial

Start car, rev to 4K rpm for 20 secs. and turn the car off.

Check level of coolant again...add to between min and max.

Repeat if necessary.

Monitor coolant level for a while until you're sure you're out of trouble as it could be something else. You didn't replace WP...could be that. Could be fan...temp sensor on lower hose.

You could still have a small leak you missed which added air to the system after your work...which air will either block coolant flow...or get in wp and cause it to cavitate where it won't pump.
I bled the system correctly already, i will keep trying again just in case. I replaced the water pump and the thermostat also. Anything else that might be causing this?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
to bleed you can also put the heat on high and fan on max. et cap off and loosen the bleeder screw slightly so you could stick like 3 toothpicks in the side and add water/coolant and wait for the air bubbles to come out then tighten and your good. i agree with dmax i bet theres a bunch of air bubbles in your system
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
I bled the system correctly already, i will keep trying again just in case. I replaced the water pump and the thermostat also. Anything else that might be causing this?
Sorry, missed the WP.

Also, didn't say, but if the therm wasn't OE, it could be the issue also.

I can't tell you how many times bleeding is the issue. Although the instructions above are how you bleed it when doing work on the system, you're past that now, and if there are bubbles hiding around, just bleeding like you do when you fill the system from dead empty, just doesn't get the same results, I think, because the coolant isn't circulating at all when the car is off.

The instructions I gave are from a bmw tis though, so don't think I'm just making it up. Give that a try and see where you get.

A recent set

Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
Bimmerboye46

My Ride: 01 325i Sport
I replaced my thermostat and had an over heating problem (OEM BMW THERM). BMW MERCEDES AUDI are notorious for air pockets in engine after replacing thermostat.

IF it is a trapped air pocket this will fix it.

1. park the car on a slant so that the hood is higher than the rest of the car. (helps get the trapped air pocket out #air bubbles rise)
2. remove coolant cap. start car and let it run. hold RPM at about 1500 for 20-30 sec.
3. squeeze/release lower radiator coolant hose (with coolant cap off) repeat squeeze/release WATCH YOUR HAND! these hoses should have some pressure and both be hot. If on is cold that means its not circulating. aka air pocket
4. blast full heat while car is running.
5. ADD fluid or distilled water as coolant level lowers dramatically showing that the air is being released (car needs to hick up)
6. after letting it idle for about 15 min (w cap off, uphill, heat on FULL) ... drive it around a bit. if it continues repeat the steps.

obviously keep an eye on the temp. gauge the during this whole process.

hope its an easy hickup fix like mine was. good luck!
Bimmerboye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
Elvin123

bump, car still overheating and I have no idea what it is. Ive been bleeding the coolant and still see no air bubbles, im thinking I might have to replace the fan clutch, any ways i could test it? all methods i find are for automatic cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check your aux fan. If your mechanical fan clutch is bad, your electric fan should compensate by increasing its speed. Check your aux fan by pullng the connector on your temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. The aux fan should come up to full speed.

Are you loosing coolant too?
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
MntnTwisties

My Ride: 04 325i
Bimmerboye46 you MUST use the bleeder screw or you're simply not going to get the job done.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Bimmer App
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Elvin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Check your aux fan. If your mechanical fan clutch is bad, your electric fan should compensate by increasing its speed. Check your aux fan by pullng the connector on your temp sensor in the lower radiator hose. The aux fan should come up to full speed.

Are you loosing coolant too?
No im not losing any coolant but im pretty confused about the fan clutch, cause ive only been reading about automatics needing to replace them.

Should I pull the connector while the car is off?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Elvin123

my car has both an auxiliary fan and mechanical fan, I read that only automatics have both
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
That is very rare to have a mechanical fan in addition to the aux fan for a manual transmission 328i.
Your aux fan is in front of your radiator?

You should be able to disconnect when the car is off. The aux. fan should come on high when running.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 08-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Sorry, missed the WP.

Also, didn't say, but if the therm wasn't OE, it could be the issue also.

I can't tell you how many times bleeding is the issue. Although the instructions above are how you bleed it when doing work on the system, you're past that now, and if there are bubbles hiding around, just bleeding like you do when you fill the system from dead empty, just doesn't get the same results, I think, because the coolant isn't circulating at all when the car is off.

The instructions I gave are from a bmw tis though, so don't think I'm just making it up. Give that a try and see where you get.
+1

DMAX came to my rescue when I had a air pocket in my system... He's been around the block a few (a LOT) of times, so he knows what he is talking about...

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote