E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
MPower72

My Ride: VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI
Fantastic Works ! My compliments
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Awesome, following on FB for updates. GL! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
aznazasin

My Ride: Gets B!tches
Send a message via AIM to aznazasin
Definitely a great project...documentation is excellent! Car looks like a blast to drive judging from the 1st video
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #24
RichE30

My Ride: e30, e46, z3, e21
Thank you very much. I can assure you that we're having a blast doing this.
RichE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #25
dinanm3atl

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to dinanm3atl
Finished... just need to mount the race tire/wheels. Rich made our spare bins. Started loading the trailer! Then tested the final 'mod' to the care while we removed all coolant and bled the system.

So excited!

JAS Work Day 11 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

JAS Work Day 11 01 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325E ChumpCar Chump Car LED Exterior Light by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr
dinanm3atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
RichE30

My Ride: e30, e46, z3, e21
I still think the LED lights were my best idea. Just sayin...
RichE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

bahahahaha they don't mind you running those lights at night?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
dinanm3atl

Nope. Helps ID our car at night

24 Hours race!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
patdeezy

My Ride: a grey e46 sedan
Send a message via AIM to patdeezy
haha so sick!

REALIE CLUB 2007 - I'M KEEPIN IT REAL!

SPONSORED BY
|SGC Godfather|
KOBE in 2012
patdeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #30
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
when were these pics taken? good write up
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #31
dinanm3atl

VIR 24 - New Team - Terrible results lead to the best weekend ever

The John Allen Special team is a few BMW E30 nerds that decided to go racing. We started on the car in November of 2011 and this was our first event. Showing up at the event I cannot remember how many people came up and said they were following our build on Facebook, Bimmerforums or some other internet location. People that I have only had 'debates' with on the forum were jovial and happy to have a fun conversation. This started while we were parked in line waiting to get into VIR. People are offering advice and simple conversation for the noobs. We all had huge smiles on our faces as we rolled into VIR. Our first taste of Chump racing is a positive one and we have not even made it into the race track yet!

As many know our results were downright terrible and not anything that we were hoping for. We came with a strategy to preserve the car and just get everyone to drive. Then kick up the pace and turn consistent laps. We have an ETA(m20b27) and no chance to turn fast laps but knew we could go off the much heralded ETA reliability. Unfortunately that reliability was not so hot on our ETA. The car has been in my posession for a year and before that 2 years of a friend. We never did any maintenance. It just keeps asking for more abuse. We clean it up and put in the wrench time and it pops the main belt off and leads to losing the water pump which overheats the car and melts... yes melts the engine.

Now coming from Atlanta that sucks. We got about 1hr 30min of race time. I started the race and have to say that was the best time ever. It was simply awesome. Although we were slow and I was short shifting to save the car to hand it over to the other drivers it was the most fun I have had on a race track. I have done a lot of HPDE and track days in much faster BMWs but this topped them all! And I was only in the car for an hour! I did my best to just turn our laps and let the guys and gals racing do their thing so hopefully I was not in anyone's way. With that said I cannot wait to drive again. I handed the car over and we were off again.

Our 2nd driver simply did not notice the rising temps and it eventually let go. At the time we did not know this and the car was towed in. We all rushed from the pits and ripped the car apart. This is where my instant love for ChumpCar started. In the span of about 2 hours we figured out the damage was terminal but the support from everyone in the paddock was amazing. First we get someone to loan us a belt to test. Then we get some gaskets from another team. As we continue to work more and more teams and people come by to wish us luck getting back out. Many more offer up help. More than we could ever hope for given the situation. The car was dead but our love for ChumpCar could not be stronger. We had planned and carried a lot of heads. Going over with the co-captain I think the only spare we did not actually end up having to fix this issue was a bottom end. Rarely see a failure there and not so soon. A lot of new parts were installed and did not think to carry a new main belt but another team quickly came to our aid. Unfortunately we could not get the car back out there.

In the end we loaded the car up about 330-4pm and rolled out back to Atlanta. It was a somber by ride home but the mood quickly went from dissappoinment to a discussion on how awesome the event and atmoshphere was. ChumpCar is awesome and the people are great. There is not much to say outside of that! We will be back at the Atlanta events this year. Plan to add more! Just want to say thank you to all the people that were so friendly! It was an awesome weekend and we cannot wait to get back! Obviously not getting everyone into the car was super dissappointed but photographing endurance racing is what I do for a living. I was really upset that we were not out there and I could not shoot into the night. I will have a photo up with some shots from Oak Tree and the race start from Turn 3(lent my camera to co-captain). Wish there were more but not this time.

Here is a short recap of our weekend. Thanks again... huge smile on my face!

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 02 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 03 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 04 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 12 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 13 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 14 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 08 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 07 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 05 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 06 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 09 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 15 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 16 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 10 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 17 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW 325E E30 ChumpCar Chump Car Race Weekend 11 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr
Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #32
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
very cool project
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #33
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i zhp View Post
very cool project
^+1

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
awesome build n thread
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #35
dinanm3atl

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #36
sunydude

My Ride: Boost
Awesome...!!

E46 325i - sold
E46 M/// - sold
2011 WRX - sold !!!

Back to BMW :-)
sunydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #37
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Sorry you didn't get the result, but hope to see more on-track action from this car in the future Great write up guys.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
dinanm3atl

Thanks! 2 months until next race!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #39
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
this looks like fun haha. that paint job is just...........funny lol
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #40
dinanm3atl

M20B25 power. Finished at 1:30am. Started around Noon. Had to take a few trips to the parts store for assorted items. Fixed/swapped clusters. Updated some interior parts. Etc. Awesome day with good guys.

When it fired it immediately after doing a couple dry runs/priming the system. We were very excited! Next race in just over 5 weeks! We are running in the Southeast Chumpionships!

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 02 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 03 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 06 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

CRC comes through with boxes of parts! Awesome. And our spares corner... well a small portion of them!

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 04 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 05 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

While I swapped parts of the clusters around so we have a 7K tach, old fuel gauge and new temp gauge... Chris runs AMS. Might as well practice the next track right?

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 07 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

Late night wrenching...

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 08 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 01 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

John Allen Special BMW E30 325i Technica Motorsports ChumpCar Chump Car 09 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr