E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Grover62

My Ride: 2002 330xi
330xi Won't start

Recently purchased a 2002 330xi with 98K miles. Sports package, GPS, Cold area package, etc. Got it all (almost). Sweet ride. Everything works or did. Original owner had the engine replaced before I bought it due to oil pump failure and scorched main bearings. Dropped in a used engine with 68K miles.
I've owned it for 2 weeks now and the battery light started flashing a couple days ago. I checked the battery (12.08 volts), removed the cables and cleaned them and added almost 20 oz of DI water. Reattached cables and now it won't start. All I get is a single solenoid sounding click.
Charged the battery overnight (now 12.8 volts) and same click - no start. Jumped it with my double-batteried truck (13.6 volts) and still same single click. Waited until dark and turned on headlights to check brightness. Nice and bright for as long as I wanted to keep them on. Tried starting with headlights on and the headlights stayed bright, no dimming.
No codes on OBD with readout tool. All interior and exterior lights work. Can someone help me with an explanation? When I saw the battery light flash on and off, I thought alternator or battery. Battery is on its 4th year of an 8 yr warranty. Now it sounds like starter or solenoid but no major drawdown in voltage like if it was shorted????? Starter R&R sounds like a b*&ch so I'd rather avoid that unless verified it's the cause.
PLEASE HELP!
Grover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
You have a bad alternator or loose connection between the battery and alternator.
Check the connection at the alt, battery terminal under the hood, and battery connections in the trunk.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Kubica

Did you try jumping from the battery or the terminal under the hood?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
You have a bad alternator or loose connection between the battery and alternator.
Check the connection at the alt, battery terminal under the hood, and battery connections in the trunk.
Even if there is a bad alternator, the car should still start with a properly charged and properly functioning battery. It won't stay running without issues though.

My guess is your starter is shot. Solenoid is probably still good if you're hearing the click but swap it anyway since you're in there.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Kubica

^my car won't jump from the battery, only from under the hood.

I don't think a bad starter would flicker the battery light either.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
^my car won't jump from the battery, only from under the hood.

I don't think a bad starter would flicker the battery light either.
My car jumped from the battery and under the hood just fine.

A bad battery or bad connection wouldn't strongly power interior and exterior lighting though...

OP, do all other interior and exterior electrics work? ie. power seats, windows, mirrors, radio, etc...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Grover62

Answers

Yes, I jumped to the terminals under the hood, not the battery in the trunk. All interior lights, radio, power seats and mirrors, etc. work. The no-start condition started after disconnecting the battery. Is their perhaps an evil BMW code only known to dealers that must be entered or reset like the old radio code? I had a dead battery once on my old 525i that was so dead that it wouldn't let the doors open with a key (battery was conveniently located under the rear seat). AAA couldn't get it open even with a slim-jim and the dealer knew nothing. My son (who needed the car to get to his college final) found a trick on line that had you turning the key in the passenger door lock one way and then the other, holding it for 5 seconds, that finally released the door lock solenoid.
Thanks for your help so far. I'll check the alternator connections and get back to you. Going to be 97F today so I better do it early.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Since you had to add so much distilled water to the battery, have you had the battery tested? It could be the battery. Once you get it started, you will want to have the alternator tested to see if it is putting out more than 12.5 volts. You didn't say how many miles the alternator has on it, but the brushes do wear out and when they wear out, they don't contact the armature to produce voltage to charge the battery and run the car. Are the cables you had off and cleaned tight? The solenoid clicking can indicate a bad battery that has no cold cranking amperage left, a bad starter motor, or a solenoid that is partly fried. Do you own a DMM? If so, you can take voltage readings at the battery, at the jump point in the engine compartment, at the starter and at the solenoid.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
thurston512

My Ride: 2003 325XI Wagon
my 03 325xi did this and it was the starter. My indy shop replaced it for $450 total. dealership was $700 to $900 so find a private shop.

Koni Sports/Dinan Springs Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!
thurston512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurston512 View Post
my 03 325xi did this and it was the starter. My indy shop replaced it for $450 total. dealership was $700 to $900 so find a private shop.
You had a flickering battery light too?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Grover62

Some progress

Tried repeatedly to start the car yesterday and behold it kicked over and started. I was so shocked that I turned it off and tried to start it again. No luck. I once had a bad bendix in a starter that lodged in the flywheel and prevented the car from starting so I tried rocking the car while shifting in and out of gears. Behold it started again but this time I didn't panic. I drove in to an alternator/starter rebuilder of repute to have the alternator checked out. He measured 13.5+ volts in the engine jump points and the same at the battery terminals. He noticed a rebuilt Bosch alternator had been installed to replace the original French one. That impressed him so he feels it's not the alternator as a Bosch rebuilt at their factory is as good as new. Never turned it off and drove home where now it just clicks again. Battery light didn't flicker during the drive (40 miles). I agree with you that its the starter and if I can get it to start once again, I've got a guy who'll work on it for me. I let you know how that went.
Thanks again for all your efforts and time!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
You have ruled out the battery and the alternator, which was a good thing to do. You can still check the voltage with a DMM at the starter motor and solenoid. Most likely you have a solenoid that is bad, but not completely burnt. If you try to start the car with the headlights on, what happens to the headlights?
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover62 View Post
Tried repeatedly to start the car yesterday and behold it kicked over and started. I was so shocked that I turned it off and tried to start it again. No luck. I once had a bad bendix in a starter that lodged in the flywheel and prevented the car from starting so I tried rocking the car while shifting in and out of gears. Behold it started again but this time I didn't panic. I drove in to an alternator/starter rebuilder of repute to have the alternator checked out. He measured 13.5+ volts in the engine jump points and the same at the battery terminals. He noticed a rebuilt Bosch alternator had been installed to replace the original French one. That impressed him so he feels it's not the alternator as a Bosch rebuilt at their factory is as good as new. Never turned it off and drove home where now it just clicks again. Battery light didn't flicker during the drive (40 miles). I agree with you that its the starter and if I can get it to start once again, I've got a guy who'll work on it for me. I let you know how that went.
Thanks again for all your efforts and time!
I don't know man. At least remove the air box and check the connections to the alternator and starter. If you can get it to pop start I'd agree it's the starter, but the motor swap and flashing battery light suggest other issues. How long ago was the motor swapped? Who did the swap? Did you get the codes scanned? Crank sensor, key, EWS are other options but it still sounds like a loose wire between the alt and starter.