E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
That-Guy

My Ride: '01 330i
To use the stethoscope to find the bearing, jack the car up and have someone spin the tire as fast as possible and put the stethoscope on the hub and listen. Usually best to listen to both sides as a comparison.
If the noise is suspected on a drive wheel (our rears) you lift the car and put it in drive to spin the tires up to 30ish mph, turn off traction control, and listen that way. Works better but you have to be sure that your jackstands are securely set.

That-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Does your car have a Dubsteptronic transmission?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #23
swaggerwagon

My Ride: 2005 330i
i say wheel bearing. i have diagnosed many of them and the easiest way to do that is to drive and make sweeping s turns to load each side of the car. listen for the waa waa to get louder when you make a turn left turn indicates right wheel bearing and right turn indicates left wheel bearing. it will get louder as speed increases

3 Pedals FTW

BMW level 2 Tech

Ebay headers | Long tube CAI | modbargains ///M pedal covers | SS clutch line | CDV removed | Turner camber arms | Meyle HD FCABs | uuc poly motor/trans mounts | Eurospec Muffler | Clutch masters Stage 2 with aluminum flywheel | Coilover kit | CSL front bumper | Z4m shift lever | VISracing CF hood | Depo HID w/CCFL halo rings
swaggerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
OK, so I did the DMAX test with sweeping turns this morning. Wide sweeping left hand turn, noise was much less obvious, wide sweeping right hand turn, noise got louder. Sounds like it is my driver's side wheel bearing. Must remove caliper, spin rotor to be sure. So odd, because from the cabin, it totally sounds like it's the passenger front!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #25
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
maybe is the wheel bearing
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
Dollar-E46

My Ride: E46
It's wheel bearing 100%
Dollar-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
yeah, stethoscope would probably help you identify which one it is before it gets worse..

I wonder if the stethoscope my parents gave my kids for their birthday would work? It is a legit MD steth.. but does not have the long probing rod, just has the normal steth bottom with the flat black circular diaphragm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Add a section of hose to the end of stethoscope. I still love my 1" diameter flexible electrician's conduit...and being 5' long, allows me to get to places I otherwise couldn't.

Almost always with bearings, they go in pairs within a close period of time...unless you took a hard hit on one side or the other...in which case you'd have a bent wheel rim to show for it...and probably the same in the front.
Planning to buy this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
It's your waaa-waaa bearing.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
The Fonz put Chachi in your trunk. Waa Waa Waa.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
trizzuth

So to update this thread, I finally got a chance to take both front wheels off and inspect. Based on the wide sweeping turns I took, it appeared that it was the driver's side wheel bearing that was bad, but after taking that wheel off, that sh(t spun like butta. Almost went to inspect the driver's side rear, but then decided it HAD to be one of the fronts based on where I was hearing the noise from and feeling the waa waa waa vibration, so I did the passenger side front, and let me tell you, it spun like butta too, but i can hear the waa waa waa very quietly inside, so that's def the one that is bad. Got the SKF bearing from BMA parts, and other related parts from autohausaz.com as I needed a few other things too. Found out that Autozone loans out a torque wrench that goes up to 250Ft/Lbs so I won't have to buy that! Got 46mm socket from Northern Tool, everything should be here in a week or so.

Odd that the noise got louder when I took a wide sweeping RIGHT hand turn which puts more pressure on the driver's side wheel. But that bearing is fine. Can't complain I guess they've lasted 165K!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #31
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
you need to check your rear wheel bearings also. you have been given advice on ways to check the wheel bearings, but you really should be certain. at this point im not convinced youve done enough to verify. I can't say enough how common it is for a DIYer to mis-diagnose which wheel bearing is actually bad. only good part of this is at 160K i'm sure both side could use to be replaced.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 09-10-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: given not giving typo
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
you need to check your rear wheel bearings also. you have been giving advice on ways to check the wheel bearings, but you really should be certain. at this point im not convinced youve done enough to verify. I can't say enough how common it is for a DIYer to mis-diagnose which wheel bearing is actually bad. only good part of this is at 160K i'm sure both side could use to be replaced.
Funny, you're the second one who told me they weren't convinced that I knew what I was doing when I diagnosed this. I have done 100% of the work on my car since she went off of her CPO warranty a looooong time ago, including everything you can possibly imagine. Trust me when I say this, it's the front passenger side wheel bearing that is bad. I'm not going to just go buy 4 new wheel bearings and replace them if they don't need replacing, maybe in my younger days I would consider it, but she's getting old enough now where other things need to be fixed/replaced and it's just not in my budget to replace things that are not obviously bad. Once I replace this one and that sound goes away (which it will), and in the process, I am replacing all pads on all rotors, I will carefully inspect the rear.

Now, perhaps you can offer some advice on how to check if the rears are bad, simply put the car in neutral (it's a manual tranny) and I should be able to freely spin the rear rotors, correct? By the way, the mech's stethoscope was no use in finding out what was wrong with the bearing because the sound is so faint when the car is not under load, and everything spins when the caliper is off, including the dust cap. I supposed I could have put the end of the stethoscope on a stationary part like a brake heat shield, or part of the brake carrier and listened, but it was very obvious to me that the bearing was bad due to the sound I was getting every single rpm.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
That occasional pad/rotor scraping sound could explain your waa-waa noise. so could a kid in your back seat.

Edit: new to bmw, but most cars you can grease your front wheel bearings, and adjust preload. Can you do this on bmw? Your occasional rotor scraping could be due to slightly loose wheel bearings. Or rust on the rotors.
I haven't done that for decades. Used to torque the bearings up and then back off 90 degrees. That was on Fords.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #34
Alex323Ci

the turn-in and turn-out to load the bearing on a turn is an old trick. mostly good for the fronts. a tighter turn to take load off a side is best, but you need to keep long to be able to hear(or not) it longer.
using an automotive stethoscope to hear what the bearing is doing when turning is another. put the steth prob on the center while spinning wheel(center cap removed) and it'll work.
there is also the lifting wheel off ground and rocking at postion 3 and 9 o'clock and also 12 and 6. but these can also show a bad control arm/tie rod. some say our inner and outter bearing races keep this from showing the signs but i have found it still does to an extent.
on the rears (i don't suggest without a lift) is to run the rear and listen. this is more for a professional and don't suggest for a novice.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #35
trizzuth

Pumping this thread full of useful information:

I recently ordered the front passenger side wheel bearing from BMAParts.com. Part was listed as being manufactured by "SKF" on their webite. Bearing came in, had SKF box, and when I opened it up, it said "F.A.G. Germany" right there in the middle on the edge of the bearing. Awesome! part cost about $73 free shipping from them. So save yourself the aggravation from autozone and get the real deal for an incredible price from BMAParts.com!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
Could be that your e46 just gave birth
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #37
budysr

My Ride: 330ci
My problem was finally fixed and was the passenger rear wheel bearing. I found it odd that making a sweeping turn hard to the passenger side of the car made the noise quieter prior to the bearing change. I would of thought turning hard to the left-- or drivers side, would of been the quiet side of the faulty bearing? ANYWAY.... It's fixed now, and it was the same symptom you described in your original post. It's so nice having the car quiet now. Had gotten used to the annoying bearing noise
budysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #38
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by budysr View Post
My problem was finally fixed and was the passenger rear wheel bearing. I found it odd that making a sweeping turn hard to the passenger side of the car made the noise quieter prior to the bearing change. I would of thought turning hard to the left-- or drivers side, would of been the quiet side of the faulty bearing? ANYWAY.... It's fixed now, and it was the same symptom you described in your original post. It's so nice having the car quiet now. Had gotten used to the annoying bearing noise
the reason is that the load on the wheel bearing is relieved from the car's body weight roll/lean. when leaning mostly on the good bearing it's not going to cause the bad bearing to make it's noise(since it's unloaded). so you get somewhat of an idea which side it's on.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #39
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
the reason is that the load on the wheel bearing is relieved from the car's body weight roll/lean. when leaning mostly on the good bearing it's not going to cause the bad bearing to make it's noise(since it's unloaded). so you get somewhat of an idea which side it's on.
I strongly disagree with this post. That makes TWO separate people, who, when performing the wide sweeping turn test, have the bad bearing make LESS noise when the car was under load. I.E. my front right passenger bearing is shot, but the noise it makes is lessened when taking a wide sweeping LEFT hand turn, putting pressure on the actual bearing. It is significantly louder when making a wide sweeping right hand turn, when the load is off of that tire. Perhaps because of the intricate BMW suspension setup, or the way the swaybar connects everything, it is the opposite for BMWs?

Doesn't make logical sense to me, but proof is in the pudding. Mine is getting horrible now, I have 95% of the parts I need to do the job, just waiting for one more shipment from autohausaz today so I can get to work on this..
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I strongly disagree with this post. That makes TWO separate people, who, when performing the wide sweeping turn test, have the bad bearing make LESS noise when the car was under load. I.E. my front right passenger bearing is shot, but the noise it makes is lessened when taking a wide sweeping LEFT hand turn, putting pressure on the actual bearing. It is significantly louder when making a wide sweeping right hand turn, when the load is off of that tire. Perhaps because of the intricate BMW suspension setup, or the way the swaybar connects everything, it is the opposite for BMWs?

Doesn't make logical sense to me, but proof is in the pudding. Mine is getting horrible now, I have 95% of the parts I need to do the job, just waiting for one more shipment from autohausaz today so I can get to work on this..
Don't automatically associate load on the actual bearing with load on the car in turns. The particular wear pattern on the particular bearing in question can be such that it will not make noise when the car is loaded but in actuality unloading that particular side may actually be loading that particular bearing. I may be hard to follow but just know that everything is not black and white. Depending on how that particular bearing was installed that day, driving patterns, wear patterns, it can exhibit noise under a particular set of driving circumstances. At the end of the day, just forget about it and change it!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmax furry chest