E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #41
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Don't automatically associate load on the actual bearing with load on the car in turns. The particular wear pattern on the particular bearing in question can be such that it will not make noise when the car is loaded but in actuality unloading that particular side may actually be loading that particular bearing. I may be hard to follow but just know that everything is not black and white. Depending on how that particular bearing was installed that day, driving patterns, wear patterns, it can exhibit noise under a particular set of driving circumstances. At the end of the day, just forget about it and change it!
CANNOT wait to change this f'n thing asap!!! Mango, did you see my note about the SKF bearing I got from BMAparts (which you recommended)? It is F.A.G.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #42
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
CANNOT wait to change this f'n thing asap!!! Mango, did you see my note about the SKF bearing I got from BMAparts (which you recommended)? It is F.A.G.
Nope didn't see it. Umm is that good or bad??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #43
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Nope didn't see it. Umm is that good or bad??
bought SKF from BMAparts for around $73 free shipping. Opened SKF box and the bearing had engraving on the inside of the hub that said F.A.G. Germany, which are the OE bearings, SCORE.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
I strongly disagree with this post. That makes TWO separate people, who, when performing the wide sweeping turn test, have the bad bearing make LESS noise when the car was under load. I.E. my front right passenger bearing is shot, but the noise it makes is lessened when taking a wide sweeping LEFT hand turn, putting pressure on the actual bearing. It is significantly louder when making a wide sweeping right hand turn, when the load is off of that tire. Perhaps because of the intricate BMW suspension setup, or the way the swaybar connects everything, it is the opposite for BMWs?
Doesn't make logical sense to me, but proof is in the pudding. Mine is getting horrible now, I have 95% of the parts I need to do the job, just waiting for one more shipment from autohausaz today so I can get to work on this..
Who is this other second person you speak of? You posted you were close to.. but never checked your rear bearings right?
What proof do you have exactly? Until the problem is fixed, let's not be too premature.
For the record, the "turn-in" trick is not "my trick". It's been around for decades.
And as Mango said it could have worn inside the races an odd way that causes it to perform strangely to this test.
I hope you are correct it's the one you say it is..
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
budysr

My Ride: 330ci
one other thing I wanna add... the previously mentioned stethoscope trick was also used to 100% make sure the correct bearing was replaced. They are not as easy a job in the rear as you all know than in the front. Yes, the actual bearings are not too costly an OEM part, but its the labor part thats a beeoytch(at least in the rear) I didn't do mine, don't have the tools, and don't think I would even want to tackle that B.S. Maybe in the front I would of...
Thank God for siriusxm and ipod tunes cranked up...thats how I dealt with mine till it was fixed. Still haven't cut the tunes down though
budysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #46
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Who is this other second person you speak of? You posted you were close to.. but never checked your rear bearings right?
What proof do you have exactly? Until the problem is fixed, let's not be too premature.
For the record, the "turn-in" trick is not "my trick". It's been around for decades.
And as Mango said it could have worn inside the races an odd way that causes it to perform strangely to this test.
OK, as mentioned before, the "proof is in the pudding" which, as in pudding, I mean the puddle of diarrhea that is my brain.

Put in new passenger side front wheel bearing today, had a bunch of trouble getting the hub nut loose, my god that was on there TIGHT, I was almost worried I was going to strip it, but it finally broke loose. Spent about 30-40 mins trying to get the inner race off with my three-jaw pullers, to no avail, even bent the back dust cover so I could try to get the jaws around the back end of the race. In doing this, I ended up prying the race a tiny bit with a large screwdriver, and was just able to pry it off just like that! So my suggestion to everyone is to mangle the rear dust cover (assuming you have a new one) enough so you can get a huge screw driver in there and pry it out. Worked great for me and screw all that fiddling with a puller that obvs was not going to work.

other complete maneuver? Put the new bearing in the freezer as suggested here, probs there for about an hour or so (I really really think this saved me), finally went to put everything back together, and after tapping the new bearing onto the spindle, and getting the rear dust cap all seated nicely, I F***CKING FORGOT THAT I HAD TAKEN OFF THE BRAKE DUST SHIELD!!!!!!! sunovab****. I was so scared that I'd f' up the bearings by trying to remove it I almost decided to dremel a channel into the brake dust shield enough to get it around the bearing so I could bolt it on. When, like a true frustrated idiot would do, I just pulled with my hands on the new bearing. Holy Crap, did that just come off in one piece??? and no race got stuck onto the hub? MOTHER OF GOD THANK HEAVENS FOR THE FREEZER! Who knows if that was what kept it all together, but it did. I ended up leaving the dust cap on and dremeling a tiny bit out of the inner brake dust shield (which I only removed because I saw somewhere that said to do this to clean it up, when in reality, I just removed it, did nothing but give myself more trouble and put it back.

So, I got everything back together, put new pads on that rotor as my sensor was going off, ended up doing the other driver's side with new pads, and then went for a test drive.

F&**( ME. Still making the waaaa waaa waaa sound.

Realize at this time, I jinxed myself by trying to convince Alex323ci that I was right with my opposite wide sweeping turn theory and I was just plain wrong, and it def has to be one of the rear wheel bearings *which I did not fully check as I was totally convinced it was the front right.

Idiot I am. I am an idiot. F me.

Anyways, I have to do rear pads on each side, so I guess it's time to do things right and check out the rears so I can go spend some loot at harbor freight and get all the tools I need for that.

Maybe the front right was bad too, I think the noise might be a *tad* less, but who knows, it is still there to some extent, and not fixed. Passenger side front rolls like a dream though!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #47
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
you did good. all four have to be replaced anyway.

Never do anything half-assed or you'll really be making a waa-waaaa-waaaa noise.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #48
trizzuth

HAaa! I was making that noise already many times today. Especially after i heard the real waaa waa waaaa come back. Can't complain about 160K on OE bearings, i wonder if my gas mileage will improve once they are all done..
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #49
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
you need to check your rear wheel bearings also. you have been given advice on ways to check the wheel bearings, but you really should be certain. at this point im not convinced youve done enough to verify.
I can't say enough how common it is for a DIYer to mis-diagnose which wheel bearing is actually bad.
Quote:
Funny, you're the second one who told me they weren't convinced that I knew what I was doing when I diagnosed this. .. Trust me when I say this, it's the front passenger side wheel bearing that is bad.
Quote:
You posted you were close to.. but never checked your rear bearings right?
Quote:
OK, as mentioned before, the "proof is in the pudding" which, as in pudding, I mean the puddle of diarrhea that is my brain.
So, I got everything back together,..and then went for a test drive.
F&**( ME. Still making the waaaa waaa waaa sound.
Realize at this time, I jinxed myself by trying to convince Alex323ci that I was right with my opposite wide sweeping turn theory and I was just plain wrong, and it def has to be one of the rear wheel bearings *which I did not fully check as I was totally convinced it was the front right.
Idiot I am. I am an idiot. F me.
as you can see in the posts, i tried and tried to help you.

"pudding/puddle/brain" now that was a funny post! atleast you have a sense of humor about it

*(for the record i'm not saying it's Not that front driver's side, nor that it must be a rear at this point with what you've presented)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #50
TechieTechie

My Ride: 05 M3,04 z4, 01 325t
And now, for your commercial break, sponsored by our friend 'waah waah'....

....sorry, couldn't resist....good luck with repair part deux

Last edited by TechieTechie; 09-19-2012 at 06:31 AM.
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #51
trizzuth

OK, so to move along with this bullsh*t. I drove around with two friends in the car the other day and neither one could tell exactly where the sound was coming from. One thought left, one thought right, one felt middle, it was all over the map. Got home and jacked it up and tore apart the rear brakes because I had to put new pads on anyways. Had the wife come out while rear end was in the air and put it through first gear, second, third and fourth while the hubs were spinning. While the spinning was happening, I was out there with the mech's stethoscope listening to all areas that were solid around the spinning hub and half shaft. Neither one gave that distinct wa wa wa wa noise that I get when I am driving, most likely because there was no F*(*ING load on the hubs at that point.

Drove around with another buddy today who has major car skills and he said it feels and sounds more like a bad CV joint. And if it is a bad CV joint, it could be the one on the opposite side of the car where the weight is taken OFF by the wide sweeping turn as the car wants to stretch the half shaft a little bit on the outside wheel. So my next job is to get BACK under the bitch and tug and pull at both half shafts near the joints to see if there is any play whatsoever. I just purchased a set of boot clamp pliers on ebay so once they come in, I can temp remove the clamps and take a look inside the boots. As mentioned before, the boots were in great shape, no cracks and no grease coming out, but he said that you could easily have a cv joint going bad without any visible grease leakage. Not looking forward to the price of a new half shaft!

Oh, also, when driving around with two friends, noticed that my right front tire was giving me horrific shudder when braking, got home, inspected and like an IDIOT FOR THE SECOND TIME MESSING WITH THIS STUFF, I snugged the lugs up nice when the car was in the air, but never torqued them down once it was back on the ground. So yea, I was driving around for a day and a half like that and by the time I checked the F'n lug bolts were finger LOOSE!!!! I was doing 90 on the highway like that. Lucky me. Jesus. I am getting too old to work on old bimmers! Or my mind is constantly preoccupied by the stupid noise that won't go away and that I can't pinpoint. This blows.

Of course all of the information out there on bad CV joints is only for XI's so the information is miniscule at best!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #52
trizzuth

Alex, fly out to mass and diagnose this bitch for me!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #53
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
One thought front, another rear...right ...left...

Final random guess...csb...maybe eaten up guibo...if guibo is visibly bad, replace csb while you're at it.

Don't buy parts quite yet...just see if sound seems isolated, maybe just below tunnel in front of rear seat...think it's about there, plus or minus.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #54
trizzuth

Not guibo, checked that already, what is csb? Center support bearing for the driveshaft?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #55
trizzuth

listening again this morning when it was super quiet, I really think it's coming from the right side of the car. I leaned waaaay over the armrest and even though it may be because I am always in the driver's position, I really think from leaning that the noise is mainly coming into my right ear. ARrrrgghhh. This is the worst thing to chase down EVER. Even worse than getting "system running lean" codes! I almost wish that I knew someone with a portable dyno so I could try to listen from the outside when the car was under load, but of course, the noise the dyno makes coupled with the tire noise on the rollers would probably be too loud it would overpower this noise.

I did some thinking last night and what I might do is try to secure a small camera I have under the rear of the car somewhere (maybe tape it to the sway bar or something else solid that won't move too much) and take a video when I am driving around. At least maybe that way I can see something happening, or the noise would be louder on one side than the other?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #56
dmax

You want a goofy idea? Take a garden hose and tape it close to the wheel you think sound is coming from...extend it into car so you or a passenger can stick the other end in his or her ear.

My rear bearings went before my fronts...which haven't gone yet.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #57
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You want a goofy idea? Take a garden hose and tape it close to the wheel you think sound is coming from...extend it into car so you or a passenger can stick the other end in his or her ear.

My rear bearings went before my fronts...which haven't gone yet.
haaaaaa now that is funny! How the hell am I supposed to snake a garden hose around the small gap I have between the 18" wheel and my fender? not like my car is slammed as I am just on ZHP suspension, but it's tight...

I guess I could try to snake it around the back behind the tire near the rear bumper, but man that's getting sketchy!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #58
dmax

I was thinking of just taping it on the body so the end of hose extends to about the center of your wheel on the outside...up through a window...to you (or another's) ear.

Cheaper than buying a camera if you don't have one.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #59
trizzuth

ahhh, I see now.. not a bad idea. at least that way, the wind noise factor should be reduced you'd think. I have a mechanic's stethoscope I bought, but being a solid metal end, I don't think that would transfer the noise as good as a hose in this case. I do have a camera that can take videos that is pretty small and I wouldn't cry if it fell off and got all mangled.. so you've given me a good idea and I have the camera idea as well now.. thanks Doug!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #60
dmax

Honestly...just having a passenger with you, you could have him hold the hose outside the car without any tape or the like and get to each wheel...and maybe find the corner where the issue is.

Tags
dmax furry chest