E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #61
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Really like this idea D! Going to try this out as soon as I can.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #62
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Really like this idea D! Going to try this out as soon as I can.
Be careful, hip hop guy. Last time D had his passenger hold his hose out the window, the cops pulled them over his beloved green machine wound up on a flatbed.

And I'm taking this hip hop guy off block list now. he seems alright.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #63
trizzuth

HAHAAAA, i feel so privileged.

Calling all E46Fanatics to the rescue! OK, Came home early from quick physical at MD, tried DMax hose method, but instead of nice insulated garden hoses, I used two of those krinkly hoses that came with my pool filter, what a joke all they did was amplify the sound of air and road!

So came back home, jacked car up, got underneath with camera, and this time, started her up and left the wheels on and went up to 4th gear. Check this out, My bet is now 100% that it's the right rear half shaft and/or bearing. Please review all vids and provide your opinion, it is greatly appreciated!!!

http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse284ddcf.mp4

http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf69ea7e9.mp4

http://s905.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc9f282d4.mp4
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #64
trizzuth

if it is the halfshaft and/or bearing, how immediately should I fix this? I plan on doing this ASAP, but need to obvs wait for parts to come in which usually takes a week or so depending on where I get them from.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #65
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I once had a mechanic think half-shaft...but it was just bearing. That's my experience...not really data, but datum!

Since I know my half shafts are original, I'll just guess the odds favor bearings.

Yea, the pool hose wouldn't work too well. I actually use flexible electrician's conduit 1" d. It's very stable and insulates against nearby sound.

I'll look in on your vid, but odds are, I won' t think differently than 'the odds.'

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #66
trizzuth

to get some of you to watch these vids and help me diagnose this
Old 09-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #67
dmax

Okay, saw the first vid...and I'm thinking that it sounds light and tiney, and you've really only complained about sound, not so much handling (but I'm not reading everything again!)...have you tried pulling your dustshield back at tad all the way around and back?

When replacing wheel, make sure the mating surfaces are really clean...I think you know that...but forget who knows what around here!

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #68
trizzuth

Yeah, wheel is flush to face of rotor, have not yet pulled back boot to inspect, but have the pliers for those specific clamps coming in soon and will do this. Just nervous as I drive this daily and often times do 100 mile round trips to another building for work, not to mention take my kids around on the highway. Also worried this vibration will f up my diff and make things worse.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #69
dmax

I meant the dust shield for the brake rotor...the large thin disk of metal that's within a 1/16" of the rotor. It seems to often get bent...pulled into the rotor.

You can pull it back firmly around its outer edges.

When wheels go on and off, I think it often gets caught and pulled out a tad.

It's springy stuff...so pull firmly(ish) all the way around.

Please 'friend' me!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #70
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Can't view vid without logging in. I think it might be time to take mango's advice. Replace everything. Do it often. Use only BMW parts.
Before you do that check your backing plate/dust shield for rust - if you live in the rust belt - maybe it is just rubbing
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #71
Skchamaa11

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Sound like a wheel bearing that's going to get louder and louder
Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I meant the dust shield for the brake rotor...the large thin disk of metal that's within a 1/16" of the rotor. It seems to often get bent...pulled into the rotor.

You can pull it back firmly around its outer edges.

When wheels go on and off, I think it often gets caught and pulled out a tad.

It's springy stuff...so pull firmly(ish) all the way around.
already thought about this because of using the "board" method when installing springs awhile back and the board was resting on the brake dust shield and it got bent. Nope, they are all straight, it's the half shaft, watch all videos again closely and listen, and you shouldn't have to log in to see any of them...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #73
trizzuth

Update: Ended up ordering an "FEQ" brand half shaft from Carquest, good thing it is returnable, this is a "just in case" part. Found a used half shaft from a 2002 330i with 93K on the ODO when it was pulled on ebay for $69 shipped. Bought this and it is coming in by friday. So when that gets here, I will replace the bad half shaft immediately. If the noise does not go away after this, I'm burning this b itch. If there is some issue with the new (used) half shaft, then I put chinese crap into my car and it will cry, but at least it will hold for awhile until I can source a better and newer used part. Can't beat the price!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #74
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
sorry hard one to pin point exactly.

curious as to when's the last time you checked the diff fluid level? hard to tell in the vid but it sounds similar to a diff gear whine. also understand the wheels are at an angle hanging down when you did that test.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #75
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
sorry hard one to pin point exactly.

curious as to when's the last time you checked the diff fluid level? hard to tell in the vid but it sounds similar to a diff gear whine. also understand the wheels are at an angle hanging down when you did that test.
Yeah, I know it's a major PITA.

Checked diff fluid level? never changed diff fluid? never

Need to research how to check diff fluid level, unless it's so easy you can just tell me how. While I am under there I might as well check if I can.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #76
trizzuth

Great thread, will def be doing this soon!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ff+fluid+level
Old 09-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #77
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well it's a closed unit so it in theory should not lose any fluid unless there is a leak. but at your mileage i would check for sure since it's easy to do and eliminates a "possible" cause.

here's one from years ago.
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diff_fluid.htm

but don't let me send you off on another hunt. just something to consider

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 09-25-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #78
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Late to the game here, I ignored this for as long as I could.

You have a bearing problem. Period. You could have a tire problem, but you seem to have eliminated that by replacing the tires.

Bearings that turn at the same speed as the tires,
The transmission output shaft, the center support, the differential pinion gear bearing, the bearings of the axle half shafts where they fit into the differential, and where they go into the wheel hubs. By my count, I arrive at 7 different bearings.

Most cars will have the wheel bearings go out first, mostly (I suppose) because they actually carry the weight of the car. All of the other bearings merely support a rotating shaft in a stationary housing, so there is virtually no weight placed on them. I would start my search for the noise you describe with the wheel bearings at the outer ends of the axle half-shafts.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #79
otters86

My Ride: 318i
Awesome thread! I have the same problem with my car, so this is REALLY useful! Im not exactly an expert on these things but what problems can you occur if you dont get it fixed straight away?
otters86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #80
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters86 View Post
Awesome thread! I have the same problem with my car, so this is REALLY useful! Im not exactly an expert on these things but what problems can you occur if you dont get it fixed straight away?
I can only assume that with the amount of weight spinning on the half shaft, if it's out of balance for some reason as mine appears to be, eventually the bearing will get destroyed and potentially the diff as well. At least that's what scares me now. I suppose it could also blow apart on the highway, imagine the half shaft, still connected to one end, whether it be the diff or bearing and spinning around like that under your car? YIKES> Gas tank is right there too.

I'm honestly pushing it waiting for my used part to come in, but from the opinions I have gathered, I cannot put this chinese junk FEQ shaft in or I'll be sorry. may take it out of the box today and take some pics so I can compare it to OEM for everyone to see.

Tags
dmax furry chest