E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Dankcorp

My Ride: 323I
Engine management problems please help

Hello all,

New to BMW's and to this forum. I figured that this section of the forum would be the best place to ask this question.

Background:
My company has a 1999 323I that we have will be using to test tires on.

We bought the car a drove it home and had no problems, after a few months the battery died and tried to jump it, (end result new battery) it was at that time we were taking it to get a roll cage put in.

Problem:
The engine will not rev past 2500 rpm, When held to the floor the rpm's go to 2500 then fall top 1700 then back up to 2500 and so on.

Checked:
fuel pressure:50 psi
fuses:under glove box and 6 next to ECM in engine compartment
Dealer changed the mass air sensor, and throttle body no difference and is dumb founded.
Check engine light, EML light, and traction control light.

We had a local shop test the computer and the print out is ass follows:
169:throttle valve system, switched off
100: ECU self test
45: steering wheel interface monit (monit is spell that way on the readout )
145: can: engine intervention
Dankcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
What kind of dealer throws a MAF and throttle body sensor at it without being sure. Take it to a good dealer or a really good independant and have them guarentee the fix.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Dankcorp

jared_wiesner,

Yes I know, the problem I found is that they plug into the cars computer and it gives a readout and they just start replacing things... called all other dealers and they say the same thing. The other part of it is because the car has a roll cage most dealers don't want to touch it.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankcorp View Post
jared_wiesner,

Yes I know, the problem I found is that they plug into the cars computer and it gives a readout and they just start replacing things... called all other dealers and they say the same thing. The other part of it is because the car has a roll cage most dealers don't want to touch it.
Some of them do this, the good ones don't. We sure don't pull this crap at our dealer.

I'm not trying to push you off. I just think that something like this should be handled by a qualified shop. I wouldn't even tackle this at home myself unless I had more background on the situation that gave me more of an idea where to start. I do all my own work except when it would come to something like this. The expertise of a really good technician will save you time and money in a scenario like this over any other option.

Really if someone in your area can chime in with a good recommended shop with experienced techs, that's where I would start. It's next to impossible to diagnose simply from the codes you gave. Could need a new computer, could be a bad sensor or wire. The system is in limp mode right now, which was triggered by whatever has gone wrong, thats all we know.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankcorp View Post
jared_wiesner,

i would recommend contacting AR Design. They're the only BMW indy shop in Colorado that i would trust to touch my car. they're big in the e90/e92 world, but they know their shit. give them a call:

303-351-3515
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
You didn't forget to unplug the battery or something when you were welding in the cage did you?
Could have fried the DME (computer)
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Dankcorp

SH4DY,

We had a local shop do the cage. The shop says they put a surge protector on the computer. My understanding is there is a Engine control computer and a transmission control computer under the hood and a "general control module under the glove box"

I have pulled the relay for the ECM and as expected the car will not start.

Is there any way to test if these have gone bad?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Dankcorp

Hi all,

I took an ultra gauge to the BMW and the fuel Trim is nothing but 0.000 on all long and short banks. O2 sensors are responding.

used the same method on our Chevy Malibu and the trim bank operates as expected.

Could this be the proof that the computer has gone bad?