E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
If you have Corrected SAE Power and engine speed, Corrected SAE Torque can be calculated:

Power = 2*pi()*Speed*Torque/60

or

Torque = Power*60/(2*pi()*Speed)

Mind the units, of course..

Good luck with the project!

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.

Last edited by sammk; 12-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
S85FTW

My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
If you have Corrected SAE Power and engine speed, Corrected SAE Torque can be calculated:

Power = 2*pi()*Speed*Torque/60

or

Torque = Power*60/(2*pi()*Speed)

Mind the units, of course..

Good luck with the project!
Awesome. Thanks for the info! I will be getting the files from the runs next week when I get the intakes installed.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
S85FTW

After spending all day removing my oem intakes, removing my headlight, removing my grills, cutting aluminum, getting my maf flanges welded on, test fitting everything; It is finally alive! My custom built dual cold air intake system utilizing two AEM dry flows has come to be. First thoughts are worries for hydrolocking but I have never heard of someone hydrolocking their motor without submerging the intakes in water. At long last, here are the pictures.

After test fitting was complete, time to weld on the flanges. fasten everything in place and GO.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Congratulations on the purchase, sir. From the looks of it, your ZHP had some identity issues, and I'm sure it costed you. Certainly not cheap to paint your car 3 times and change the rims 3 times as well. I would have kept the CSL wheels and kept the rest clean and unpainted. As for the M5; such a gorgeous car, but I hope the trend doesn't continue from your ZHP to your M. The Air Ducting may be practical, and may look good now...but down the road it will get old very fast, not to mention it does have a cheesiness factor, and people who admire cars, hate custom. Custom can be hit and miss. I mean, this car is gorgeous, and you really don't need to do much to it. Keep in mind less is more. Don't go over the top, because this isn't as cheap as the ZHP when it comes to playing around and modding things many times over. Be wary friend. Good luck with build.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
S85FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Congratulations on the purchase, sir. From the looks of it, your ZHP had some identity issues, and I'm sure it costed you. Certainly not cheap to paint your car 3 times and change the rims 3 times as well. I would have kept the CSL wheels and kept the rest clean and unpainted. As for the M5; such a gorgeous car, but I hope the trend doesn't continue from your ZHP to your M. The Air Ducting may be practical, and may look good now...but down the road it will get old very fast, not to mention it does have a cheesiness factor, and people who admire cars, hate custom. Custom can be hit and miss. I mean, this car is gorgeous, and you really don't need to do much to it. Keep in mind less is more. Don't go over the top, because this isn't as cheap as the ZHP when it comes to playing around and modding things many times over. Be wary friend. Good luck with build.
I appreciate the cautionary response. However, through five years, a persons identity can change, let alone their vehicle. Everyone performs mods that are hit or miss and that's the beauty of modding, a car is always a work in progress. To be honest, I loved the look of my ZHP the most right before I sold it, slightly modded, dropped and on BBS style 5s. I am picking up where I left off with the last look of my 330. My m5 is dropped, exhaust, intakes and will most likely only see a tune and headers very soon. I love the color too much to risk throwing any cf parts on an already fast car. My "custom" intake was modeled after a $2000 intake system available overseas. It is the only system to see significant gains on the s85. All welds performed by a moroso master welder, tig welded aluminum on aluminum. I actually went ahead and used better parts than that $2000 system (they used rubber elbows, Injen filters, etc). I utilized aluminum piping with silicone elbows and aem dry flows. All other intake systems have dyno'd a loss to minimal gains by still utilizing the space in the engine bay thus getting heatsoaked. Thanks for the input but you don't have to worry about this car getting covered in carbon. Only performance mods here. Oh and as for 3 different sets of wheels I like variety and can't promise my M5 will only see stock wheels, maybe BBS, maybe Rays, well see....no reps allowed.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
S85FTW

Attached is a video of the sound from the engine bay.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
great response. good luck. subb'd
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #28
S85FTW

Another update...received a eurocharged tune and man this thing is a monster! Combine with the intakes, exhaust and res delete I am positive to be picking up a ton of horsepower here. I broke loose on the highway at 70mph today. Below is a crappy quick video but you get the idea.

Last edited by S85FTW; 01-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.
S85FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #29
Bmw0224

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
wow i love your m5! keep it up with the updates
Bmw0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
S85FTW

While waiting for my MyGenius unit to arrive next week, I decided to go ahead and take my car down to Proformance Industries in New Rochelle to get my wheels powdercoated. I decided I wanted to give the OEM wheels a unique look rather than go aftermarket. The color they powdercoated the wheels is a two stage color called ghost chrome. This is basically a fully customizable color where there is a brilliant black base coat then a metallic silver overlay. The amount of silver overlay you use will determine how dark or how light your wheels will come out. I went with the darker look and I love it. These guys do an amazing job. The color has so much depth and pop that pictures do not do it justice.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by S85FTW View Post
While waiting for my MyGenius unit to arrive next week, I decided to go ahead and take my car down to Proformance Industries in New Rochelle to get my wheels powdercoated. I decided I wanted to give the OEM wheels a unique look rather than go aftermarket. The color they powdercoated the wheels is a two stage color called ghost chrome. This is basically a fully customizable color where there is a brilliant black base coat then a metallic silver overlay. The amount of silver overlay you use will determine how dark or how light your wheels will come out. I went with the darker look and I love it. These guys do an amazing job. The color has so much depth and pop that pictures do not do it justice.
I would be careful, especially on a track. Don't want the wheels cracking.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
S85FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I would be careful, especially on a track. Don't want the wheels cracking.
I have a set of style 95s I will use for the track. Going to install slicks on them.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #33
S85FTW

Another little update...Friday I will be getting my final correct tune from Jerry @ Eurocharged to accomodate the extra air flow for my intakes. Also I have taken the time to purchase a few things to get her back into tip top shape after the winter has treated her a bit unfairly. I will be purchasing an 04-06 Cayenne as my winter beater/dd and will be taking the M out only in nice weather from here on out. I also will be taking the car into Endless Details shortly to get the car fully detailed and to get some rock chips touched up on the front bumper/hood. I went ahead and bought the following little items to refresh the look of the M for the upcoming season.

I went ahead and bought new M stickers for the steering wheel and wheels to replace the tired and faded oem logos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	M stickers.JPG
Views:	1765
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	496469
Same with the M5 logos for the fender grills.

Name:	M5 fender grill logo.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	496470
Some nice locking M valve stem caps to replace the plain plastic ones.

Name:	M valve stems.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	496471
Aluminum M logo's for the floor mats to cover up the tired faded M5 logo on the driver and passenger mats.

Name:	M floor mat logo.JPG
Views:	2028
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	496472
Some brushed aluminum vinyl wrap to cover up the peeling window switches and the area surrounding the steering wheel buttons. It should match perfectly.

Name:	brushed aluminum vinyl wrap.jpg
Views:	1788
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	496474
And finally two nice driving T shirts.

Name:	Perfect 10.JPG
Views:	1616
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	496473

Will post up pics after the detail and install.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #34
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Kris, your ///M is a beast!!! Love what you have done to it so far....going to be even better brother!!!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
S85FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Kris, your ///M is a beast!!! Love what you have done to it so far....going to be even better brother!!!
Thanks my man! Cars like yours are an inspiration. BTW there will be a photoshoot down here soon if interested text me.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #36
S85FTW

Thanks to a member on M5board, I was able to source a new upper and lower housing for my passenger mirror for $200 shipped since it was hit Saturday night at the devils game. Once it arrives I will take it to a body shop around the corner to have the housing painted. Once completed I will have them install it.

Now I am sitting on a set of CF mirror covers from Autocarbon that I purchased as a temporary fix until the mirror is painted. However, these things just arrived and I have to remove the mirrors to install the covers.

I installed my tire valves today as well as some new M logos for the floor mats. I could not justify buying another set of floor mats just because the M5 logo was a little ratty while the mats as a whole were still in good shape. Here are pics of the locking M caps installed and the floor mat logo's.

I also just received V3 of my tune from Eurocharged so I will give that a try tonight/tomorrow.

Last edited by S85FTW; 03-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.
S85FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

No offense but the M caps and mat logos are cheese some nice OE mats would look better!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #38
S85FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
No offense but the M caps and mat logos are cheese some nice OE mats would look better!
I was just going to post that if you find me a set for $150 I will be all over them. I decided to hop over to ebay and found a set for $140 shipped. Now these will be my winter mats haha.

As for the caps being cheesy I disagree, the silver valve caps go really well with my silver studs.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by S85FTW View Post
I was just going to post that if you find me a set for $150 I will be all over them. I decided to hop over to ebay and found a set for $140 shipped. Now these will be my winter mats haha.

As for the caps being cheesy I disagree, the silver valve caps go really well with my silver studs.
Did you try Tischer? At least the caps are removable if you don't like them But I tend to not like to overdo the ///M logo. As it is the car has enough of them already. Those ///M caps (aftermarket) usually botch the logo anyway in color, font, etc. and it ends up looking cheesy. I think understated looks better

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #40
S85FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Did you try Tischer? At least the caps are removable if you don't like them But I tend to not like to overdo the ///M logo. As it is the car has enough of them already. Those ///M caps (aftermarket) usually botch the logo anyway in color, font, etc. and it ends up looking cheesy. I think understated looks better
Tischer's site was down for maintenance when I purchased these mats. They have a sale going on right now on them but they are $6 more without shipping included to the east coast.

After 3 different versions of the eurocharged tune being installed, Jerry is no longer going to be trying to get a custom tune together for my intakes to work. Kind of disappointing in that these CAN be made to work with a Eurocharged tune just pretty impossible when I dont have a Eurocharged location nearby. I have reached out to Michael at Fluid Motor Union and will be getting a custom Alpha N tune for my setup. I will also dyno at Pruven Performance for a second time to show the gains of the software and intakes combined. As far as the intake system goes, I triple checked the piping diameter to be sure that I was not messing with the scaling of the MAFs and it is an identical 3" inner diameter to the OEM MAF housing. I purchased blue silicone 45 degree elbows to replace the rubber boots at the intake manifolds. A Much cleaner look IMO. I also got the secondary air pump bung welded onto the intake tubing for a cleaner look. Pics attached.