E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Shaking/ Vibrations Steering wheel when braking at high speeds

Please help me diagnose this problem. I drove from East Coast to Vegas and now has noticed that my car's steering wheel would shake/vibrations when braking at high speeds > 60mph.

I had my rotors changed about 3 years ago. I've read that this is the most likely culprit. I just recently changed the brake pads before the drive. Could this cause the vibrations?

I also have a known slight wobble on my aftermarket wheels which I have to rebalance ever so often... but could this cause vibrations when braking?

Thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubboy View Post
Please help me diagnose this problem. I drove from East Coast to Vegas and now has noticed that my car's steering wheel would shake/vibrations when braking at high speeds > 60mph.

I had my rotors changed about 3 years ago. I've read that this is the most likely culprit. I just recently changed the brake pads before the drive. Could this cause the vibrations?

I also have a known slight wobble on my aftermarket wheels which I have to rebalance ever so often... but could this cause vibrations when braking?

Thanks.

Sounds like you threw a weight on your rims and now it's severely out of balance.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
About 4 years ago I changed the front bushings that corrected my vibrations at low speed. The bushings stiffened my suspension so at high speeds my steering wheel vibrated - at that point, I balanced my wheels and thats how I noticed/ informed of my wobble on the wheels.

The vibrations at high speed got better.

However this was the first time I ever noticed steering wheel vibrations at high speeds WHEN braking.
lulubboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Shakes while brakes can be caused by:

Uneven rotor surface caused by pad deposits which are in turned cause by an overheated pad
Control arm bushings are worn out

Other vibrations: tires, balancing, uneven hub-to-wheel mounting surfaces, aftermarket wheels which arent hubcentric, etc.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubboy View Post
About 4 years ago I changed the front bushings that corrected my vibrations at low speed. The bushings stiffened my suspension so at high speeds my steering wheel vibrated - at that point, I balanced my wheels and thats how I noticed/ informed of my wobble on the wheels.

The vibrations at high speed got better.

However this was the first time I ever noticed steering wheel vibrations at high speeds WHEN braking.
missed the "while breaking" part. My money is on rotors.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
WALDE_BORA

My Ride: 99' 323i, 99' JETTA
^x2

this can also be caused by going through a puddle of water while the disk brakes are hot.
WALDE_BORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
You replaced your rotors and got new pads. So doubt that you have an issue there. Unless you've been doing hard driving lately. I would suggest looking at control arms (that was my issue anyway), bushings, and having your wheels re-balanced.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Worn front control arm bushings, a wheel that needs to be balanced, rotors that need to be replaced, or a sticky brake caliper.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
lsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxNay View Post
Worn front control arm bushings, a wheel that needs to be balanced, rotors that need to be replaced, or a sticky brake caliper.
Ready...set....go check all of these.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
shadow2132

My Ride: 330i ZHP
had something of the same kind of issue...decently hard vibration during high speed braking (110+). Bled the brakes and that solved it for me. give that a try as well, a lot cheaper than changing other stuff.
shadow2132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Rotors replaced 3 years ago, replaced with stock rotors? Since the rotors were replaced, how many times have the wheels been removed and installed with a 1/2 drive air impact wrench? Most of the time, steering wheel vibration when applying the brakes from highway or higher speed is a sign that the front rotors are warped. You may even get a pulsing in the brake pedal something like the ABS pushing back at you, or you can get both. You can check the rotor run-out making a simple pointer, but more accurate with a dial indicator.
Air impact wrenches should not be used to install alloy wheels (especially on a BMW with stock rotors), unless they use the 80-90 foot pound torque lug socket, otherwise should be done by hand and with a quality torque wrench. This will ensure that the lugs are both properly torqued and EVENLY torqued so that braking heat doesn't affect them.

Other things that can cause your condition; a severely bent and/or flat spotted front wheel (however you should have a vibration from either of these even when the brakes are not applied), a wheel that has thrown a weight (but again, you should also feel this without brakes applied), worn lower control arm ball joint(s) and/or torn rear lower control arm bushing (though when driving, especially at highway speed, your steering should feel a bit vague).

If none of the above are experienced without the brakes applied, more than likely you need a new set of front rotors.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote